Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

How good are standard MY00 disks?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2006, 08:31 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good are standard MY00 disks?

The brakes on my MY00 uk aren't that clever to say the least (standard setup) and after a couple of hard presses from any half decent speed, they're basically dangerous.

I was going to get new disks and pads but after having a look, the disks aren't in bad nick, there isn't that much of a lip on them.
I expect they'll be the original disks as the car has done 37k.

Is it worth me investing in new disks aswell as pads, or will better pads than OE (i.e pagid or ferodo) make a big enough difference and will uprated pads work well with the standard disks with this amount of mileage on them?

Hope you follow what I mean
Old 22 May 2006, 10:00 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

the trouble is that the whole setup is crap - calipers, discs and pads. Servo flexes as well. Fixing it properly means getting a whole new braking setup, which means big bucks (say about £1300). In the mean time, you could go for a set of pagid pads, braided hoses, and a fluid change. Get a brake support bracket as well. It'll never be great though.....
Old 23 May 2006, 08:07 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the std discs are reasonable and will certainly cope with an uprated pad with no issues..................certain discs will give a benefit if your feeling flush...................

the std set-up can be made to work very well if you put the right components in, depends on your use and expectations!!

alyn
Old 23 May 2006, 07:41 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Would fitting some newage Brembo's be a wise move?
How much am I looking at for this setup, and what's involved?
Old 23 May 2006, 10:19 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
the trouble is that the whole setup is crap - calipers, discs and pads. Servo flexes as well. Fixing it properly means getting a whole new braking setup, which means big bucks (say about £1300). In the mean time, you could go for a set of pagid pads, braided hoses, and a fluid change. Get a brake support bracket as well. It'll never be great though.....
The standard calipers are not crap being a decent size 4 pot, there never going to compete with a large set of Brembos or aftermarket AP racing calipers, however there is a compromise without spending a fortune.

A company called Godspeed (www.godspeedbrakes.fsnet.co.uk) can supply a larger disc and a set of uprated larger mintex pads with a fitting kit for the caliper for somewhere in the region of £675.

I've heard that they provide a decent performance upgrade over the standard setup.