Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

225 x 35 x 18's a problem on the P1 ???

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2001, 06:39 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange one this.
Running 18" Prodrive wheels on my P1 and last week dressed them up with brand new Goodyear F1's of the above size.
Running std P1 suspension I did Oulton Park last week and in the morning it was wet so stayed on the F1's, couple of very tight fast right handers I noticed a scraping noise on the front nearside corner.
In the afternoon I went over to slicks, 225 x 625 x 17's....the same profile I beleive but in 17's form.....this time I was obviously pushing harder and again the scraping noise was there.
Now today I noticed that I have worn through part of my arch liner on the same corner so I'm unsure as to whether it's the F1....the size itself (didn't notice this on SO3's) or the suspension of the P1 too soft when pushing hard round this sort of circuit !!! Ironically I'm having DMS suspension fitted tomorrow and the geometry sorted so it should in theory eliminate this problem.
The other thing I'd noticed is that the front nearside wheel seems to protrude slightly more than the offside front ???? The car's never been bumped,banged etc....could it be that the geometry is way out ???
Unless anyone's got any ideas I'll update this tomorrow evening, in the meantime anyone who has the same profile tyre which is not the Pirelli suggested make by Prodrive.....be careful, it may be happening to your car already.....unless you are a sedate driver of course
Old 30 October 2001, 10:04 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

?
Old 31 October 2001, 09:10 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Chris

Some P1's had spring seat problems. It may be that your NSF spring wasn't seated correctly allowing the tyre to contact the arch liner.

That this happened in the wet is of concern, but I suspect the extra loading from the slicks would have caused most of the damage.

A 225 slick is a bit too wide for the earlier shape cars and other people have reported fouling with this size, but mostly at the rear. Although a 225 road tyre is normally OK, a slick has a much squarer profile and hence a wider actual contact patch.
Old 31 October 2001, 09:56 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete,
I think I'll probably go down to 215's to be sure.
The slicks I'm running are 225 x 625 x 17's so hopefully now I've cured the suspension it may not present me with this problem again.
We'll do business one day Pete !