poor brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2006, 10:26 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default poor brake pedal

Hi Guys,

I've just changed my front discs and pads due to the old ones being worn out and also providing poor performance. Also, I've replaced the brake fluid with DOT 4.

I've had the car for 2 years and for the past few months the brake pedal has had little feel. It needs a good hard push to lock the wheels (no abs fitted) and is definately not right.

Any suggestions as to what it could be - servo, master cylinder etc......

One more thing, the amount of braking force that I have is poor, also I'm not sure the rears are working correctly. If I brake hard the car slows then I can (just) lock the front wheels. However, the brakes lock up before the car retads at a high rate - something like braking on a wet road, even thoug the surface is dry. Like I have poor grip -but this is not the case.

Ideas please........

Graham
Old 02 May 2006, 11:34 AM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say you've just changed the discs/pads..is that a few days ago?...or longer...You could have a few issues with the new setup...The 1st that comes to mind is air in the system,secondly discs/pads not bedded properly, lastly a knackered master cylinder/servo...Whatever it is you need to sort it quickly as you don't want to be driving around on crap brakes....
If you suspect rears not working then get a helper to press pedal while you see whats happening to the rears as a first idea...you could have a siezed caliper etc...
I would suggest you don't drive the car at all until it's sorted.
Old 02 May 2006, 01:08 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brakes are fully functioning, i.e. they will lock the wheels, but they are not as good as they used to be / should be.

For sure, there is no air in the system and the brakes have been bedded in for maybe 100 miles. They still feel 'funny' though. The pedal almonst feels unassisted. You need to give it a good firm push to make the car slow.

What are the different symptons of (1) a faulty master cylinder and (2) a faulty servo?

Graham

Originally Posted by crusher
When you say you've just changed the discs/pads..is that a few days ago?...or longer...You could have a few issues with the new setup...The 1st that comes to mind is air in the system,secondly discs/pads not bedded properly, lastly a knackered master cylinder/servo...Whatever it is you need to sort it quickly as you don't want to be driving around on crap brakes....
If you suspect rears not working then get a helper to press pedal while you see whats happening to the rears as a first idea...you could have a siezed caliper etc...
I would suggest you don't drive the car at all until it's sorted.
Old 02 May 2006, 08:44 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

would first be checking the calipers & pads to make sure they are not seized or srticking in anyway.....................

alyn
Old 05 May 2006, 08:38 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as Alyn says, then I'd investigate master cylinder/servo...what sort of calipers do you have?...do you have subaru 4 pots, Brembos....There have been people on here who have thought they had properly bled their brakes but in fact hadn't...some caliper designs are not as easy as others to get fully bled due to internal design and position of bled nipples etc...