Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Changing pads (Alcons) instructions & tools required?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2001, 11:10 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Well as I can't make the SIDC Dono day, it looks like I'm going to have to change my own pads from DS2000 to DS3000 (and back again) on my Prodrive Alcons at Dono on the 5th. Thing is, I've never done it myself before!!

Mark from TN (with help from Puff) made it look easy at Bedford, but I didn't pay much attention (doh!).

So, can anyone give me a list of things I need to go and buy from Halfords (might as well include stuff to change the wheels too), plus instructions on what I need to do, where and in what order (I know I need to get the wheel off first!!).

Thanks.
Old 24 October 2001, 12:35 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Kryten

6mm allen key (chk size but I think this is right) some copper slip for the back of the pads and a little time. Only 1 bolt to undo, clip retaining pads is held in place by this, the pads work out towards the back (you can use the pads to carefully push back the pistons if the new pads have more material on them. I also used a rubber faced hammer to tap them home, they were a little tight & this helped. Tighten all up & check that nothing is binding / rubbing. Also, it is a good time to give the alcons a good check over & clean. All in took me an hour including jacking up /down each side with the standard subaru jack.

cheers Simon

[Edited by simo - 10/24/2001 12:35:49 PM]
Old 25 October 2001, 04:53 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simon. Don't suppose anyone has any pictures, just so I don't mess it up....

Any other advice?
Old 25 October 2001, 10:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Kryten

I did the backs

Anyhow, principal the same. Dunno exactly for Alcons as I have Brembos, but principal the same. In addition to the advice above, I would get a decent/hefty pair of pliers & something not disimilar to a tyre leaver.

The pliers are for pulling the old pads out. Whilst doing this, try & wiggle against the calipers/disc to gain a bit of a clearance to pull the pad out easily. Once the pads are out, use the tyre leaver to force the caliper pots back into the caliper housing. When I say force, you will have to as you are trying to push all that fluid back up the little pipe to the reservoir in the engine bay (helps to take the top of this off but a) don't forget to put it back on & b) watch out for excess fluid coming out of the reservoir & onto the paintwork inside the engine bay). Push the pots all the way back in & then the pads will gently drop in.

Don't forget to bring the pedal back up by pumping it BEFORE you drive off

Other than that, its easy as long as you have the right tools.

(Ring/email if you need more help)
Old 27 October 2001, 07:10 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Did mine today - 25mins...

But forgot that 'cos of the AP discs, the pad carrier for the outer is ground down a bit Remembered when doing the second Meant another 10 mins

All ready for Brands Hatch now