Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

02Plate WRX Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2006, 10:48 PM
Raycupra
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02Plate WRX Brake Upgrade

hi guys looking for some advice or recommendations, running on a standard brake setup on 19" Oz wheels which is less than adequate! not looking to spend fortunes on a 6pot upgrade but had concidered the 4 pot or even just changing my pads and discs all round and sticking with the standard calipers. i dont need a great setup just a vast improvement,
can anyone suggest where to buy from and what my best options are?
cheers
Ray
Old 07 March 2006, 10:54 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Godspeed 335mm kit, which utilises the original calipers but with spacers to allow thicker discs, and also brackets to move them further out to allow the bigger sized disc to be used...... type 'godspeed brakes' in google, and you'll find Ian's site...... don't panic if you don't hear back straight away, he's a one man band offereing good products at a good price due to there not being anyone to answer the phone etc...... from memory, the kit is about 625quid inc new discs and pads.....
Old 08 March 2006, 10:31 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

I agree with Ron above. I requested the EBC Red Stuff pads from Ian, and have since replaced them with the same.

They work a lot better than the standard brakes, both hot and cold. I opted for the grooved disks as I do as many trackdays as I can (which here isn't very many )

I've never had any fade with the brakes so far

An obvious recommendation is to go with braided hoses at the same time, as these are not included in the kit price (IIRC)

I tried the route of upgraded pads before the Godspeed kit, with less than stellar results.

Neil
Old 08 March 2006, 10:33 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add - on 17's the 335mm kit looks impressive, as they completely fill the standard wheels with only room for a *** paper between the caliper and the inner rim - you won't get the same effect on 19's but they should still look better!
Old 08 March 2006, 04:32 PM
Raycupra
Scooby Regular

Default cheers

cheers guys no need for anymore posts i think my minds made up now
Ray
Old 08 March 2006, 04:47 PM
Raycupra
Scooby Regular

Default opps

sorry 1 more question! i got an email there from ian who advised to go with the bigger disc upgrade and can supply either ferodo DS2500 or Mintex M1144's pads..............which of the 2 is better? any diffrence for diffrent conditions?
Ray
Old 09 March 2006, 05:39 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Ray,

As I said, Ian provided me with the EBC Red Stuff ceramic pads when I bought my kit, at no additional charge (or discount )

I had tried the Mintex 1144's on the standard disks - while better than the OEM pad - personally I find the Red Stuff better. The Mintex squealed like a pig and left lots of dust without exactly popping my eyes out with the improved braking.

Caveat - I have only tried the Red Stuff on the Godspeed disks, so can't comment if the Ferodo or Mintex are more suited to the 335mm disks.