Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Goodridge brake line kit...

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2006, 05:26 PM
kalv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodridge brake line kit...

I purchased these from grahamgoode racing http://www.grahamgoode.com/subaru/pa...=1&item=GGS360 and went to get them fitted to my '96 classic impreza import with 4-pots at my local garage.

The mechanic said they don't fit and recommended that i should get my lines changed asap. Do i need the brake line kit for the 'New Age' impreza as i'm running 4-pots on my classic?

If so, my rear brake lines are going to be classic and the front 'new-age'.. and i bet you can't find a kit to cater for this scenario?

Are stainless stell braided lines really that much different than standard ones?
Old 28 February 2006, 05:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

looks to me like you bought correct kit, couple of things to check, first is the guy fitting them correct? second did you get sent the correct ones?
best bet give grahamgood a ring and have a chat
Old 28 February 2006, 05:39 PM
kalv
Scooby Regular

have done... left them a message.

With regards to the mechanic.. i've used him many times before.. so i hope he knows what he's talking about... bit hard to check unless i physically stand behind him when changes it...
Old 28 February 2006, 07:14 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

your part number should be something like SSU0201 from memory.........if it is then your mechanic is mistaken...........
exactly what does he say the problem is?? has he even had them out of the box??

alyn
Old 28 February 2006, 07:53 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, there is an issue with these lines, the strut support is too big to fit correctly throught the hole in the strut, i got on to Goodridge about this when i bought my last set, they said they are aware of the issue, but have been making them for ages now, and have very few complaints, basically the 'flats' are too 'big' by about 1mm, therefore you have to grind them down to fit, therefore removing the zinc finish, so they will rust (great!) or, they can make them in stainless for you..... the ones on the classic's are fitted with a sprung clip, the ones from 01 onwards are bolted to the strut, and don't have the same issues......
Goodridge said they use that bracket for another kit aswell, and it's not viable for them to engineer bit's specificaly for the Impreza kit...... (again, great!)
Old 01 March 2006, 09:22 AM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

^ Hmmm, I had the same issue fitting one of their kits to my Lotus, the brackets didn't fit, they knew about the issue & did nothing about it, everyone I know who fitted it had to adapt the brackets, not good..
Old 01 March 2006, 10:34 AM
kalv
Scooby Regular

The part number for the goodridge hose kit is: GGS360 Brake line kit Impreza Classic.

The mechanic looks like he has removed them from the box and mentioned something (sorry i can't remember) being too big to fit. He fitted the original hoses back on but did say i should replace them.
Old 01 March 2006, 07:15 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

exactly as Ron says...

A bit of filing required for rear brackets...

I have the same setup on a 97MY with 4pots at front... Much better feel at pedal

Mick
Old 01 March 2006, 08:21 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mick
exactly as Ron says...

A bit of filing required for rear brackets...

Mick
All four brackets i think you'll find...... i wish i'd bought stainless ones, at least that way the things wouyldn't now be rusty....
Old 01 March 2006, 08:42 PM
kalv
Scooby Regular

This is what my mechanic said:

"Bracket where it mounts to the suspension strut (1/2 way down the hose) is bigger than what’s there so the hose won't stay in place.. as a result the hose may rub.. wear away and possibly leak brake fluid"...
Old 01 March 2006, 08:54 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kalv
This is what my mechanic said:

"Bracket where it mounts to the suspension strut (1/2 way down the hose) is bigger than what’s there so the hose won't stay in place.. as a result the hose may rub.. wear away and possibly leak brake fluid"...

Exactly, the only way round this is to grind the 'flats' on the lug that goes through the sturt bracket to fit...... not difficult, but as i said to Goodridge, 'surely it can't be an ideal situation everyone having to 'grind' brake components.......
Old 01 March 2006, 09:11 PM
kalv
Scooby Regular

This is Graham Goode Racing's response:

"i've just been down to the workshop and checked on a suspension leg and the goodridge hoses fit the strut no problem ( the standard clip fits on it also ) admitedly the goodridge part does look chunkier but in reality the part of it that passes through the bracket on the strut is the same diameter as the original."

Now, do I try and blag it to my local garage to do the work again.. using another carton of dot 5.1 brake fluid, free of charge or at a discount... or give it a bash myself on the weekend?
Old 01 March 2006, 09:26 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Thats very odd, cos like i say, goodridge themselves admitted they were different.....

changing the lines is not too difficult, i found the best way was to clamp the old hose near the body end, remove it from the caliper, and also through the strut, then fit the new one to the strut( having made it fit!) and the caliper, then quickly remove the old one from the body end, and fit the new one, there will be leakage at this point, hence the need for speed....... do this four times, then bleed them.....

Edited to add.... ideally all four wheels should be off at the same time.... if thats not possible, then do the rears first.... then the front!
Old 02 March 2006, 08:59 AM
kalv
Scooby Regular

Went back to my mechanic this morning to say that GGR said they fit. He is going to measure the diameter of the part in question and present that to GGR (he's know them nad has had problems fitting Goodridge hoses in the past).. but h still claims they won't fit and he isn't prepared to 'grind' because what's the point... you bought a product that should fit...

Think i'm guna have to have a bash myself... cheers for advice... need to jack up the motor on the weekend and get the old man round..!
Old 02 March 2006, 01:07 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RON
All four brackets i think you'll find...... i wish i'd bought stainless ones, at least that way the things wouyldn't now be rusty....
Err no Ron...

- the fronts went on fine on mine - I only had to file the rears...

Cheers

Mick
Old 05 March 2006, 01:02 AM
kalv
Scooby Regular

Default finally on...

Right... went to my mates garage.. more like a shed.. and tried to fit the hoses ourselves... and guess what..

got them on with no problems...

Finished article...

..and much happier...

Old 05 March 2006, 01:28 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem with any ones I've fitted, sometimes they can be a bit tight to line up but it's only ever been crud stopping them from seating properly in my experience.

Andy