Tyres not round??

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2006, 01:14 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tyres not round??

Bit confusing this one.

I know tyres can deform slightly, if fitted to a car, but kept in the one spot on the ground and never driven. This HASN'T been the case here.

Brand new wheels, brand new tyres, fitted both together by the company who supplied them.

Since having them on the car, the car shakes, especially the steering wheel, when about 70ish. Some road surfaces show it up, more than others.

Sent the wheels back to company and told them to rebalance them and watch the wheel, as i was sure i'd seen a wobble when i was watching the car on the rollers. Came back to me and was told there wasn't a problem with them, but shaking was still there. Defo still the wheels as i ran the car with OE 16's....no problems there.

Took them to a localish wheel supplier who balanced them. At least 3 of the tyres had HIGH and LOW spots on it! Toyo T1-S's, so not some cheap cr@p.

Anyone had the same problem with Toyo's or something of similar quality?

I'm now gonna phone the supplying company on Monday, to see what can be done about it.
Old 25 February 2006, 02:00 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

I had a vibration problem a while back on a classic with new tyres on wheels fitted over a non-standard set of discs/bells (Brembos) where the wheels weren't centering correctly. Balanced correctly. Checked again. Garage couldn't find the problem initially.

After a few goes:

Fitted the wheels by hand, centering carefully and doing the nuts up by hand in stages, tweaking them tight in opposite nut order. Fixed problem. Seems obvious but some garages spin the nuts on with guns up tight and any 'play' may not get centered out correctly....worth a try, especially if wheels or brake discs aren't standard.
Old 25 February 2006, 02:38 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Cheers but i'm fitting them by hand and making sure it is sitting central.
Old 25 February 2006, 03:07 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

Just a thought .... I know the wheels are brand new, but are they to blame??

A wheel thats even got the slightest buckle or imperfection on the inner or outer rim, is going to be almost impossible to balance .... best to put it on the back.

I know what Jerrry B means about the non-standard brakes and fitting the wheels yourself .... been there!!
Old 25 February 2006, 03:35 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

True, but actually watching it on the balancing machine showed nothing on the rim's, but only on the tyre tread.

Also having it running slowly on a rolling road, didn't really show anything up.
Old 25 February 2006, 03:52 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

It would be very unusual for a new tyre, but it does sound like you've got a "lumpy" tyre, sometimes called an "egg". It can happen if you hit a pothole, causes a weakness in the tyre and it bulges. It's a weakness in the tyre so you don;t want to be driving around on it. Probably just one tyre at the front has the bulge, would cause very noticeable steering wheel shaking. It can be perfectly balanced, but would still give the symtoms you've observed.

I've experienced it before, but not with new tyres. Initially the tyre fitter couldn't find a problem, only the second time they took a look could they find it.

Go back to the tyre dealer, tell them one of the tyres has got an "egg" and get them to replace it.
Old 25 February 2006, 06:13 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You could try a game of swapping the wheels round to the back in order to elimate the one at fault.
Old 25 February 2006, 06:42 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine had this on his hill climb Cossie.
The tyres were eccentric in shape. Balanced perfectly etc on good known rims.
The car shook violently at 60 + realy worryingly bad.
Tyres were Avon CR28's a special hill climb radial.
I am amazed Toyo tyres would be like this as I feel they are a quality product.

Not much help realy.

Try getting the dealer to fit some fresh tyres after taking him out for a run.
Do you know anyone with a Scooby who will allow you to swop yours wheels for his just to experiment (process of elimination).

Graham
Old 26 February 2006, 04:25 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

At least 3 of the tyres have these lumps, as i've seen them while spinning on the balancer.

I know it's definately these wheels/tyres as the original Subaru wheels were straight as a dia on the car.

I'm very carefull when it comes to potholes too and i've never had this problem before and the dealer is about a 6-700 mile round trip, so not much hope of that happening.
Old 27 February 2006, 07:18 AM
Scooby Regular

This sounds a bad (financial) situation.

Send the wheels/tyres to the supplier for comment, or just find a new set?
Old 27 February 2006, 07:24 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Hoping so. Will be speaking to them today and if they aren't interested....expect a name and shame, as they are spoken about on Snet a lot!
Old 27 February 2006, 11:51 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Run out on tyres is pretty common...the cheaper tyres are notorious, spin them on a tyre balancer and the ovality of the tyre is unmissible.

Toyos aren't brilliant in my experinece, neither are the high endDunlops.

Nothing can be done about it, balancing will reduce most of it, and it doesn't seem to affect handling. But on some tyres which are really bad you'll never get rid of the vibration.
Old 27 February 2006, 05:27 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that, Ali.

A small update. Spoke to supplying company today(said they'd phone me back, didn't do that ) and said they would have to get the wheels/tyres back in, then send them to supplier(Toyo) for testing. Ok i thought, "So you'll get the picked up again?" i asked. "Nope, you'll need to pay this time."

So that's the way they are playing it, i've spoken to an Alan Meaker, who is going to help me out. Possibly by taking them to a Toyo dealer close to me, so they can give them a going over.

Here's hoping it works out!
Old 27 February 2006, 10:31 PM
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm...good luck.
Graham

Let us know!
Old 27 February 2006, 11:04 PM
John Stevenson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drb5
Cheers for that, Ali.

A small update. Spoke to supplying company today(said they'd phone me back, didn't do that ) and said they would have to get the wheels/tyres back in, then send them to supplier(Toyo) for testing. Ok i thought, "So you'll get the picked up again?" i asked. "Nope, you'll need to pay this time."

So that's the way they are playing it, i've spoken to an Alan Meaker, who is going to help me out. Possibly by taking them to a Toyo dealer close to me, so they can give them a going over.

Here's hoping it works out!
Speak directly to Toyo UK, and remember Jim Dickson is handy and honest
Old 28 February 2006, 10:22 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Have the exact same problem with Pirrelli currently (P Zero Nero), they have agreed the tyres are faulty and have flat spots but 16 weeks on they are still dragging their heels in paying me back.

The tyres where on the rear of my SAAB and made it make noises similair to a wheel bearing failure.

Zippy
Old 28 February 2006, 05:06 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Dealing with Toyo direct at the moment, John.

Have to get the tyres off the rims and Alan is gonna sort getting them picked up from my work, then test them out. Will be without them for a while and have to cover the costs of removing and refitting tyres, but ho-hum. Need's to get sorted, it's just too bad to drive.
Old 23 March 2006, 01:01 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Update...
Spoke to Alan Meaker again yesterday and he is sending me out a brand new set of T1-R's. He only found 2 of the tyres to be untrue and in his book's, not enough to cause the bad driving at speed, but to save hassle, he'd give me the new tyres and before anyone ask's, it was himself that said the T1-S's are the EXACT SAME PRICE as T1-R's.

So that should provide a good arguement for you guy's, come renewing your Toyo tyres and using a dealer.

Just need to find a company that won't have a problem fitting the new tyres to the rims.
Old 23 March 2006, 01:35 PM
Rice Rocket..
Scooby Regular

Dave, I know its abit of a treck for you but try Prestige Tyres in busby, they have all new machines, I go to them for my P ZERO NEROs 215x35s 19 fitted in minutes without ANY damage to the tyre or rims.

Ricey