Eagle F1 tyre splits- advice please

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2006, 03:46 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Eagle F1 tyre splits- advice please

Hi,

Just had an MOT on my classic and splits in the sidewalls of 3 of my tyres were pointed out to me:
Both rears on the insides. These have about 2mm tread left.
Left front outside. This tyre is less than 1000 miles old.

Tyres are all GSD3 215/40 ZR17.

The splits are between a 2 inches and 5 inches long between the alloy and the lip of the tyre where the tread starts. All this as well after I had to replace both fronts due to a tyre bulge in the left front- I now assume the bulge started from a split.

Am I doing something wrong or are these tyres just not suiting me?
I believe these tyres have weaker sidewalls than others to start with but thought that was sorted out when the GSD3 replaced the GSD2.

I never had these problems when I ran a set of T1-S.
What tyres do people advise with strong sidewalls?
My current favourite is the T1-R. I liked the S but found they were a bit crap in the wet but it sounds like the R has addressed this. Do these have stronger sidewalls than the F1s?

I rang Goodyear and they said they will refund all 4 tyres if I return them and they find the tyres are at fault. They did refund the bulged one I sent back recently.

Any help gratefully received.
Old 17 January 2006, 05:05 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Have a search in this section as there was a thread a little while back about these tyres, apparently there are different load ratings for these tyres and company's have been selling the lower rated tyres for scoobys when they have to have the higher rating.
Old 17 January 2006, 06:01 PM
Dan 2
Scooby Regular

What load rating are on the F1's????????
Old 17 January 2006, 07:26 PM
abc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan 2
What load rating are on the F1's????????
Should be 91Y XL (=extra load) on MY05 (215/45/17), iirc. There's useful info on the Goodyear website.

Andrew
Old 17 January 2006, 07:59 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Mine are 83y which seems low. Based on another thread all the split problems seem to be on this size of tyre: 215/40 ZR17. This tyre seems to be the odd one out based on the goodyear data. Seems they should be 87
Think Im going to try some Yoko Parada 2's after trawling around...
Old 17 January 2006, 08:01 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting I got a bulge in one and assumed my wife had hit a pot hole.
Had to then replace two front tyres for no real apparent reason.
Maybe it was the wrong loading,presumably this is stamped on the tyre wall.
Will check the others tomorrow.I had 4 replaced together (before the bulge) so now maybe the rears are still wrong.
Is this safe???
Old 18 January 2006, 12:59 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

i blew one of mine and the back has bulged and split
did this 4 months ago and have yet to change tyres
was gonna stick on some 45 profile instead
any idea on price of the yokos and where from ??
Old 18 January 2006, 01:37 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Getting a set of 4 Yoki paradas tonight from Micheldever @£75 per corner fitted. These are 87W rated. Was thinking of T1-R but they are more expensive and probably wont last as long. Its not like these cars are short of grip to start with
Sending all 4 F1s back to Goodyear....
Seems that the f1s in this size are probably ok for some people but if you drive fast or fully laden then you will more than likely cross the line with them and be taking a risk
Old 18 January 2006, 04:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Following hearing of these failures occuring and the issue of load rating cropping up I did a few rough calculations in this thread:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=481811

Now, I won't discount at what I rambled through on there is 100% accurate (there are a alot of questionable issues). But it does give food for thought with 83 load rated tyres (especially when the car uses tyres with 87 load rating as stock from the factory, which may suggest something).

There are threads about Good year GS-D3's failing in this very way (and the odd Toyo). But until search is up and running again (currently off-line) it won't be of any help.

If anyone can come up with more definite and accurate (justified) calculations, then I would be highly interested and more than happier to see them

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 January 2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 25 January 2006, 01:18 AM
Racy Jace
Scooby Regular

I had this happen too!!

Old 25 January 2006, 01:21 AM
Racy Jace
Scooby Regular

I did read that increasing the tyre pressure helps.

Ive had my new tyre on about a month. So far so good but I still need to check them every day.
Old 25 January 2006, 01:39 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Goodyear are well aware of the problems of splitting highlighted previously on this forum.

They seem uninterested in resolving the matter though.

After severe splits in the inside sidewalls on mine I am going to steer well clear of Goodyear and F1s.
Old 25 January 2006, 08:00 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this exact problem 2 years ago and with the help of my supplier at the time, Motorway Tyres (Owned by Goodyear?) I got it sorted to my satisfaction. At the time I spoke to the head of their technical section in Birmingham and he was clearly concerned and admitted there had been several failures.
The current set have no splits in them and I can only conclude that effective remedial action has been taken on more recent manufacture.
I think there can be long delays between manufacture and actual fitment but Goodyear are able to identify precisely when a tyre is produced.
I have been happy to stick with them because so far they are the best tyres I have used in the rain.
Old 25 January 2006, 09:50 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Playing Devils Advocate .... But if the load rating of the tyre is lower than that recommended for the car, then why blame Goodyear? I would blame the tyre supplier for supplying an inappropriate tyre is you specifically told them it was for an Impreza (and given them the model). Perhaps Goodyear should also be making an effort to make tyre suppliers aware of the potential problem.

I've had two sets of Goodyear Eagle F1 (GSD2 & GSD3's) and never had any issues on my MY99 RB5.

Stefan
Old 25 January 2006, 10:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzy
Playing Devils Advocate .... But if the load rating of the tyre is lower than that recommended for the car, then why blame Goodyear? I would blame the tyre supplier for supplying an inappropriate tyre is you specifically told them it was for an Impreza (and given them the model). Perhaps Goodyear should also be making an effort to make tyre suppliers aware of the potential problem.

I've had two sets of Goodyear Eagle F1 (GSD2 & GSD3's) and never had any issues on my MY99 RB5.

Stefan
Agreed, I have 83w tyres and never gave it any thought, as I never had a problem - but I'm not a hard or fast driver by any means, so maybe that has a influence.

But after realising that the car was supplied new with 87 rated tyres. And that there is a spate of failures with these tyres that happen to be 83w

It makes me wonder if 83 tyres are unsuitable for this type of car.
Old 25 January 2006, 12:05 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Goodyear dont seem to think its load related.
Old 25 January 2006, 12:55 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Went down the same route with Goodyear some time back as per previous threads. They were very interested but didn't follow it up and didn't admit to anything as you might expect, and though they didn't think it was load rating related it seemed to me that the only F1 splitting reported here that I could find was on 83 rated tyres, specifically 215/40/17 83s on classics.
I suggest that, as the minimum listed fitment rating I could find for any Impreza was 87, we have fitted tyres that would not gain the support of the manufacturer as they were not recommended fitment by them or Subaru.
However if you contact Goodyear and arrange to return them to the tyre suppliers for manufacturer collection that's probably the best chance you have of recompense. If the tyre fitter recommended these themselves rather than you specifying them then you might also have a chance there, though proving that could be difficult.
My opinion anyway.
BTW had no such problems with all the F1s I've had on my '03, currently 91 rated XLs.
Old 25 January 2006, 01:53 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

I had a bulge in one of my F1's when I bought the car, think I'll go off and check the load rating on them all... hmmm