Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ebc brakes ,,any good???

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2005, 12:50 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebc brakes ,,any good???

im considering beefing up my brakes a lil bit with some ebc turbo groove discs and some redstuff pads on my zs 180,,has anyone any experience of ebc parts because ive heard very mixed reports and dont want to spend on something thats not gonna do anything.
Old 19 November 2005, 04:04 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

They're only average but they are cheap. So if it's a warm hatch used on the road give it a go, don't expect miracles, and you won't be disappointed. But for a tuned scooby type car or one used in competition or on track days then steer clear.

But if you do go for it then keep an eye on the pad wear, they've been known to be trashed in very short time, couple of thousand miles on some cars / drivers.
Old 19 November 2005, 04:47 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mg driver
im considering beefing up my brakes a lil bit with some ebc turbo groove discs and some redstuff pads on my zs 180,,has anyone any experience of ebc parts because ive heard very mixed reports and dont want to spend on something thats not gonna do anything.
My Redstuff pads have lasted 8k in normal driving.Plenty of pad left. Less fade than oe pads.Make sure you get the latest spec red pads
Old 19 November 2005, 04:52 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

wont bother then as my car is making quite a bit more power than a standard 180 and i do push it very hard on track days.

Anyone reccomend anything else???
What about the tarox g88 disc with mintex 1144 or ferodo ds 2500 pads??
Old 19 November 2005, 10:58 PM
gazbrook
Scooby Regular

I have been told by quite a few companies that the Tarox are the next step up from EBC and a considerable difference in stopping power too. It depends on how much you have to spend though as the discs cost about twice much as EBC.
Old 19 November 2005, 11:26 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I don't know about EBC discs but my Redstuffs are if not better similar with previous DS2500 and 1155 I had!
They won't give you the best initial bite (probably due to very low friction coefficient) but this is also advantage cause they won't heat your discs, they don't last long though!
Very good choice but I have bought curently Yellowstuffs type R and I'll see how they are!
JIM
Old 20 November 2005, 09:42 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

have recently heard of someone going through a new set of redstuff pads down to the metal in one full track day at donnington.

General concensus is then that ebc stuff isnt much cop,,disks cant be great for that money.

ill perhaps go with tarox then ,,they offer 2 discs for my car ,the g88 and the sport japan,,the g88 is just multi grooved while the sport japan has only about 6 grooves but is also drilled ,,,,,,,,,which is best for track days and what are the pros and cons of each type??.
thanks.
Old 22 November 2005, 12:26 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
But for a tuned scooby type car or one used in competition or on track days then steer clear.
I have done 1 trip to the Nurburgring on a brand new set of Yellows fitted to front and rear. "tuned scooby type car" = 323bhp / 323lb ft.
There and back 900 miles.
39 laps of the ring, 530 miles.
Pads were excellent.
Approx 2 to 2.5mm wear.

Buck
Old 22 November 2005, 12:22 PM
REVOLUTION
Former Sponsor

We have always used Tarox
G88(40 groove) Discs
Sport Japan (drilled & Grooved) Discs
Tarox Fast road pads
All Tarox products come T.U.V Approved !!

Tried and tested on customers cars and on our own cars, both on the road and for track days.
Tarox is a slightly more expensive product, although in our oppinion you get what you pay for.

Colin@revolution

www.revolution.eu.com
Old 27 November 2005, 12:30 PM
NoCatSTI
Scooby Regular

I have used ebc ceramic pads and they are very wooden (no feel) and have killed my OE discs in no time. I am now getting discs made by Godspeed and fitting braided hoses and ferodo pads. TSL recomended the Ferodo pads before i fitted the ebc's i wish i had listened. I have seen threads with 'buck' before, and he does not like his products mentioned in anything but a very good light...
But ask yourself.. He sells ebc, whats he gonna say?? I dont, i am just a regular scooby driver who knows how brakes should feel and gets a little disapointed if they dont feel right.... In this life you get what you pay for, but on the plus side ebc are cheap!!
Old 28 November 2005, 09:46 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NoCatSTI
I have used ebc ceramic pads and they are very wooden (no feel) and have killed my OE discs in no time.
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...&page=16&pp=20
John Felstead tested the EBC Redstuff Ceramic pads, his report is on the link above, about half way down. He is a well respected member of the Scoobynet community and nothing to do with EBC Brakes.

Originally Posted by NoCatSTI
I have seen threads with 'buck' before, and he does not like his products mentioned in anything but a very good light...
But ask yourself.. He sells ebc, whats he gonna say??
You have seen ONE thread where "Bob'5" and I had a bit of a slanging match, due on my part because of Bob's continual EBC "bashing", on many other threads, which I felt was unjust. I have posted many other threads offering help / information for no financial gain, some post in relation to EBC products, others not.

We do only sell EBC products, but I will not "lie" just to sell products. No point, it will just come back and bite. My brief report above about the Yellowstuff pads and the trip to the Nurburgring is factual.

Regards

Buck
Old 01 December 2005, 03:58 PM
A.BART
Scooby Newbie

have recently heard of someone going through a new set of redstuff pads down to the metal in one full track day at donnington.

General concensus is then that ebc stuff isnt much cop,,disks cant be great for that money.

ill perhaps go with tarox then ,,they offer 2 discs for my car ,the g88 and the sport japan,,the g88 is just multi grooved while the sport japan has only about 6 grooves but is also drilled ,,,,,,,,,which is best for track days and what are the pros and cons of each type??.
thanks.
why does everyone want to use the wrong pads and then complain
redstuff ceramic is for road use only they will not do a trackday
if you do a trackday use yellowstuff or bluestuff front and rear
do not use a road pad then complain they did not do a trackday they were never meant to
Old 01 December 2005, 05:39 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Ferodo DS2500 Or Pagid Blue pads,

There really are no decent alternatives unless you go for a full on brake conversion such as AP racing, Brembo's and the like. As for what I'm running after a miserablr time with the Red Stuff pads I changed to DS2500'd all round. They are trully excellent albeit dusty.

Another thing to mention is that a very well known and respected Rally / Subaru / Evo tuning company has said that they tested a set of EBC Red Stuff pads on a rally they entered. In their own words "the pads only lasted 17 minutes before they had to be binned"

Draw you own conclusions.

Last edited by dazdavies; 01 December 2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03 December 2005, 12:13 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by A.BART
why does everyone want to use the wrong pads and then complain
redstuff ceramic is for road use only they will not do a trackday
if you do a trackday use yellowstuff or bluestuff front and rear
do not use a road pad then complain they did not do a trackday they were never meant to
im not complaining it wasnt me ,,,even so supposedly uprated pads should be able to last significantly longer than one track day ,,my standard pads have done many track days and 24000 miles and they still ok ,,why would anyone pay for an uprated pad thats not as good as o.e equipment.

Thanks for the advice peeps ,looks like ferodo is the way to go then.

p.s ,ya great numpty,redstuff ceramic is for track days ,,at least it says so on their site.

Last edited by mg driver; 03 December 2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03 December 2005, 02:10 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

are black diamond discs any good ???
Old 03 December 2005, 05:52 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

My Black Diamond Disks started to crack after I put on the Ferodo Pads. But for normal everyday use they are a good disk. If it was for a Scoob I would suggest The disk brakes Australia set up (DBA) as they are excellent.
Old 04 December 2005, 10:11 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

I recommend Ferodo DS 2500 every time. I've had EBC pads on previous Impreza's and found they had to be worked hard to brake effectively.
Old 06 December 2005, 02:28 PM
VJ_STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
My Black Diamond Disks started to crack after I put on the Ferodo Pads. But for normal everyday use they are a good disk. If it was for a Scoob I would suggest The disk brakes Australia set up (DBA) as they are excellent.
Daz

Where can you get these DBA discs from ?
Old 07 December 2005, 02:30 PM
A.BART
Scooby Newbie

im not complaining it wasnt me ,,,even so supposedly uprated pads should be able to last significantly longer than one track day ,,my standard pads have done many track days and 24000 miles and they still ok ,,why would anyone pay for an uprated pad thats not as good as o.e equipment.

Thanks for the advice peeps ,looks like ferodo is the way to go then.

p.s ,ya great numpty,redstuff ceramic is for track days ,,at least it says so on their site.
if you check the factory website www.ebcbrakes.com it only recommends yellow or blue for trackdays race rally etc
redstuff for high powered road use only
what website are you refering to
Old 07 December 2005, 09:52 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

the one at the top of this page ,,if ebc cant even decide what their pads are good for then theres little hope for your average joe like me.
Old 10 December 2005, 12:15 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

330BHP / 320lbft
my 99 RA - weighing about 1150kg

Braided hoses
Fresh Silkolene Pro Race Brake fluid
EBC Grooved discs
RS pads
Signature 4 pots

Killed a set of part worn RSCers at Coombe, but they were fade free all day. Bought a new set - trip to Coombe and they granulated a bit but the set-up was fade free all day and the pads still have plenty of meat left on them. The Yellowstuffs are the ones to go for IMHO if you're planning lot's of track work but don't expect them perform so well day to day (they need more warming up etc). The disks are in remarkably good nick.

People ought not get confused with the EBC of old. The compound they used to use was sub-standard but a lot of people are now testifying to the pads being very good, me included.

HTH

J
Old 10 December 2005, 12:52 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

MG Driver, do not confuse EBC Brakes with EBC Brakes Direct who are an independant company supplying only EBC products. If you doubt their advice then ring around and see what advice some of the other EBC suppliers offer, there's plenty of them out there.
Old 10 December 2005, 12:59 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Just to add that I have similar experiences to Buck with a newage at the ring, running EBC Yellows. Many miles left in them although I didn't complete quite as many laps but have also managed to squeeze in a day at Bedford Autodrome.
Old 10 December 2005, 02:03 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VJ_STi
Daz

Where can you get these DBA discs from ?

TSL do them I believe.

As for the people advocating the use of EBC Red stuff and anyone thinking of doing so. Here is a meassage I cannot put any plainer

THEY ARE NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE FERODO DS2500's

With the EBC red stuffs I did experience Fade under heavy high speed braking.
This NEVER happened with the Ferodo's. If anyone has tried both and say the Red stuffs are better and forgive my brashness ..They are talking out of their backsides!!!

Forgive my tone but sometimes there is no better way to get the message across.

I hope that settles the debate and i hope it makes atleast someones decision easier.

Daz
Old 10 December 2005, 05:13 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Daz, please expand on your findings for everyones benefit.
Under what circumstances did you experience fade with the Redstuff that you didn't with the DS2500?

Same discs?
Same corner?
Same fluid?

What spec are your brakes, forgive me if I've overlooked something but it would help for anyone trying to make a comparison.
Old 10 December 2005, 01:07 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
TSL do them I believe.

As for the people advocating the use of EBC Red stuff and anyone thinking of doing so. Here is a meassage I cannot put any plainer

THEY ARE NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE FERODO DS2500's

With the EBC red stuffs I did experience Fade under heavy high speed braking.
This NEVER happened with the Ferodo's. If anyone has tried both and say the Red stuffs are better and forgive my brashness ..They are talking out of their backsides!!!

Forgive my tone but sometimes there is no better way to get the message across.

I hope that settles the debate and i hope it makes atleast someones decision easier.

Daz
I've never used the DS2500 but my mate who drives a mildly tuned classic WRX swears by them.
Old 12 December 2005, 08:29 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo
Daz, please expand on your findings for everyones benefit.
Under what circumstances did you experience fade with the Redstuff that you didn't with the DS2500?

Same discs?
Same corner?
Same fluid?

What spec are your brakes, forgive me if I've overlooked something but it would help for anyone trying to make a comparison.
Would be glad to. Here goes.

My Car is Circa 350bhp and every now and again I have a blast on my favourite peice of road which consists of a couple of long winding bends a, very tight right hander and a big Rounabout leading to a dual carriage way.
When I first uprated my brakes I bought a set of EBC Red Stuff pads and a pair of Black Diamond cross drilled and grooved 295mm front discs. Every time I got to the end of my little circuit ie after the long sweeping bends, after the very tight right hander and approaching the roundabout onto the dual carriage way I got serious brake fade and had to make the brakes work very hard to slow me down. This was always the case with the Red stuffs. On the same peice of road driving in the same manner using same disks same fluid but the DS2500's I have NEVER had the same brake fade. To the extent that the disks began to show signs of wear before the pads did. I have now swapped these disks for a set of DBA's and they really are excellent.

I can only comment on my findings but in my simple but honest view ( I dont sell brakes I am an IT consultant) the Ferodos albeit more expensive are a far better buy than the EBC red stuffs.

I hope that clears things up a little.

Daz
Old 12 December 2005, 08:44 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive just bought G88 and tarox 114 pads for my 02 sti, i hope they are up to the job.
Old 12 December 2005, 09:33 PM
mg driver
Scooby Regular

keep us filled in on how they perform,,them mintex c-tech blue discs look ok ,anyone tried em.
Old 12 December 2005, 10:12 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MG,

See my other post ive put a pic up of what ive bought