Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

my99 rear brake snag HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2005, 10:40 AM
Psychosootie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry my99 rear brake snag HELP!!!

i have a my99 classic and have noticed a scrapping type noise from the osr wheel. which i can only hear at low speed's, clucth in, this side also seems to be wearing the disc faster than the other side and the disc along with wheel gets very hot. i'm going to clean the caliper and relube, but saw i link talking about a coomom fault on the my99's but i can find it again, so any ideas would be good.

cheers
Old 16 November 2005, 11:56 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

the pads are probably low , they have scrapers on them when they wear down to let you know its time to change them
Old 16 November 2005, 10:46 PM
Psychosootie
Scooby Regular

there fine had a look at that first, one of the other lads has said to clean it all up so thats the next plan
Old 16 November 2005, 11:01 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a sticky piston making them bind a little..... taking them apart and cleaning the piston etc could be the answer...... lets face it, they are now 7 rys old.... and have done very little since they were made, the rears don't get a lot of work, so can stick quite easily.....

Ron.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:40 PM
Psychosootie
Scooby Regular

Well i took them apart today and there was a lot of dirt and dust etc so cleaned that off the piston moves freely ie i pumped up the brakes and was able to pull it in, when i took the disc of i noticed that on the tops of the hand brake shoes about 11 and 1 postions the materail was damaged and was missing? i havent a clue how that happened as the disc came off without and problems it looks as some one has dug a screw driver in and lifted it up, is it possible a stone got into the system through one of the vents? i got it all back together and it still making the same noise, will it be worth changing the shoes? and would rust on the disc do it??????

Last edited by Psychosootie; 17 November 2005 at 08:42 PM. Reason: missed some thing out