Help, binding shoes

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2005, 03:50 PM
Hakon
Supporting Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, binding shoes

Having a nightmare,
removed old rear disc and destroyed handbrake mechanism in the process, bought new parts and fitted. New disc goes on fine, no getting caught etc when putting it on. Drive the car and it binds as if the handbrake is on slightly. Adjusted the shoe spacing mechanism at least 3 times now but still get binding and hot heating of the disc/drum ! Have taken off the other working side but cannot see any difference.....

I just don't know... !

Hakon
Old 30 October 2005, 12:04 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hakon
Having a nightmare,
removed old rear disc and destroyed handbrake mechanism in the process, bought new parts and fitted. New disc goes on fine, no getting caught etc when putting it on. Drive the car and it binds as if the handbrake is on slightly. Adjusted the shoe spacing mechanism at least 3 times now but still get binding and hot heating of the disc/drum ! Have taken off the other working side but cannot see any difference.....

I just don't know... !

Hakon
Maybe you've got the same problem I have? Last few weeks, on long journeys (i.e. at least half an hour of constant speed cruising) I start getting the most horrendous loud screeching from the o/s/r wheel, or maybe the front, it's hard to tell). It doesn't go up or down in pitch depending on speed, just stays the same note all the time. If I turn to the left it's louder, on the straightahead it's quite loud, if I turn to the right it fades away.

It stops the instant you touch the brakes, but then comes back as soon as you let go. Occasionally a big stamp on the brakes will stop it for a few minutes. The other day I tried pulling the handbrake as I was driving along with this screeching noise, and this not only stopped it when actually pulling the handbrake but also stopped it entirely for another half hour. Then another quick tug of the handbrake stopped it again.

So - sounds like there's a problem with the handbrake shoes? How does this system work? Is it like my old 200SX - a dual-purpose disc/drum assembly with an outer disc that works in the normal way with a caliper, and then a drum on the inner side with a separate shoe mechanism? If so, how come touching the brakes normally would stop the noise briefly - surely the handbrake shoes are an entirely separate mechanism operated by the handbrake? Weird. Someone explain what I need to do!