Notices

Binding on tight lock.

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2001, 04:06 PM
Richard C
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a new Legacy Estate GL (3500 miles). On tight lock (but not full lock) there is a very pronounced binding/grinding noise. This occurs on left and right hand lock and in reverse and I think in neutral too. When going round in circles, eg. in a carpark, it is possible to get the lock just right so that the binding is continuous. The dealer is helpful but does not know the cause. (Fortunately he has no problem generating the binding) Solution offered is to change bits until cure is found starting with power steering pump to be followed by new steering rack. Has anyone any ideas to save my new car being taken apart?
Old 23 May 2001, 08:24 PM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

The center diff on my MY94 WRX failed, but only when driven for 30-40 miles on a motorway run. It started to bind and crunch when reversing or driving into parking spaces. Also as the wheels were not allowed to travel at different speeds when the fault appeard the car was very twitchy in the wet, producing what felt like rear wheel drive power slides. Does your Legacy have a 2WD/4WD selector? could be that.
Old 24 May 2001, 12:42 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Not sure if it is the same thing, but the Import dealer I deal with says that you can get this when the Diff gets wound up - if the car is driven round in circles a number of times on full lock it should clear it - this is something that has been affecting legacys for ages apparently.
Old 24 May 2001, 12:07 PM
Richard C
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Bruce. What you describe certainly fits the bill. I think it does seem more noticeable after a run. The center diff is a viscous coupling. Is this difficult to change? I understand (From Subaru USA website) that its located in the 'transaxle case'. Sounds tricky. I will certainly pass on your comments to dealer. Manual Legacy is permanent 4WD with 50/50 power split via the viscous coupling. Cheers.
Old 14 June 2001, 09:39 PM
Richard C
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Just thought I would let you know, the dealer was right! It was the power steering pump. New pump has cured the problem.
Cheers Richard C