From 205/50/16 to 225/45/16

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2005, 11:56 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From 205/50/16 to 225/45/16

Evening all.

With the need for some new tyres gently approaching, I'm doing some homework before I buy. When I first joined SN I posted about jumping from a standard tyre to a 225/45/16 flavour and Mike Tuckwood was good enough to respond (thanks Mike.) Although do-able, it's doubtful whether there's a benefit. For the record I have a MY00 UK Classic with standard alloys.

If anyone's increased the width of their 16in tyres and also dropped them down a profile, I'd be curious to hear from you.

I fully appreciate that 225/45's will be more expensive to buy compared to 205/50's (and I've already got my eye on certain rubber brands) so I'm simply keen to hear about anyone's experiences who may have done this too, i.e. improved dry grip..? Terrible wet weather grip..? Any rubbing..?

Cheers,

Jonty.

PS: With 7J width alloys I'd naturally make sure that whatever tyres I got would be suitable.
Old 14 October 2005, 09:38 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think 225's are meant to rub on a classic
Old 16 October 2005, 10:18 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Default Hmmm...

Originally Posted by Boost II
I think 225's are meant to rub on a classic
Hi Boost II.

Thanks for the response. I've been doing my homework by having a good sniff around the Wheels and Tyres section and you're right -- rub on a Classic running 225's is a possibility, but frustratingly seems to be pot luck... and for those with 17in and 18in wheels as opposed to standard 16's. Different tyre models don't help either with varying success between flavours.

Thankfully I don't need new boots just yet so there's a bit more time to see if anyone has tried 225's with 16's, and for me to check the clearance in the arches. With a theoretical additional 10mm heading into the arches, with stock suspension I might get away with it... but I won't buy new rubber until I'm totally sure. Not a brilliant test but my wife's MY01 UK WRX has 18in OZ wheels with 225/40 rubber -- I guess I could always try them.

If there's any doubt then I'll just settle for stock tyre sizes... after all, at least the boots will be cheaper.

Cheers,

Jonty.
Old 17 October 2005, 09:29 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If its any help, I have 17's on a classic with 215/45 anf they rub when cornering on the bumpstops, even though some people say they fit fine.