Bridgestone Potenza 17" - Difference

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2005, 07:57 PM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bridgestone Potenza 17" - Difference

Hi there.

I had 3 new tyres about 2 months ago, 1 tyre was still quite fresh thus didn't need changing. Now about a month ago I noticed that the steering and handling has gone a bit Pete Tong. I drive a MY03 STI.

I took the car to the local dealer who said that the three new tyres are the same size as the old, except they are a type BZ. The one tyre that wasn't changed is a type JZ.

What is the difference between JZ and BZ? The dealer contacted Bridgestone over the phone and they said themselves that JZ is the type I should go for.

Has anyone else experienced this in their tyre choice?
Old 25 September 2005, 09:54 PM
powerman1
Scooby Regular

Potenzas are great tyres but when I had some fitted to my last scooby they do tend to tram line a fair bit..i.e follow the changes in the road causing the car to change direction on its own,I think the letters refer to the speed rating but it may be worth while to call at a tyre dealer and ask for their advice..

powerman
Old 25 September 2005, 09:59 PM
MrClyfar
Scooby Regular

Having looked into this a bit further, I'm thinking that the JZ/BZ code is to do with the side wall of the tyre, such as in shape or firmness. Talking to a friend of mine, he said that it's possible the code indicates different side shapes, since the Bridgestone people said that the BZ tyre is more renowned for being used with Lotus Elise type cars if I remember correctly.

I will call Bridgestone up again and ask them about this. I'll keep you informed.