Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

VERY FAULTY TYRE

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2005, 04:28 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VERY FAULTY TYRE

The tyre on my 2002 bugeye is a 215/35/19 toyo it is 10 months old and has done just over 4000 miles. I had the geometry set up done by TSL when the tyres were new. The thing is, is that the drivers side tyre has gone disstorted half way around with bubbles sticking out of the side wall and the other half of the tyre has got a groove in it but only half way round again and the metal is showing through but only on the grooved side. This is on the inside of the tyre.Is this a manufacturing fault(all the other tyres are ok)and if so does the dealer have to replace the tyre for me and can i replace just the one front tyre. Or is it a case of buy another tyre off them and they send the faulty one back to toyo for checking and then refund me?
Old 24 September 2005, 09:12 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen this a few times with toyo's and eagle f1's but only on OZ super leg wheels for some reason, what wheels are you using???
Old 25 September 2005, 09:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Blimey!

sounds like two different fault IMHO but i am not an expert but have been through a lot of tyres.

IO have had eagles and toyos but never come across this.

sually and this is in my experience lumps on the sidewall are caused by contact with something weakening the strenghtening in the sidewall.

The last set of tyres on my Mitsi, two had worn through to the beading in the inside edge, i could not see easily. that was down to incorrect geometry more likely from an impact with a kerb or such, it did not pull to any side but the geometry was out, i saw the readings. In fairness my partner was forced into the kerb on a roundabout by some knobber who did not use just the one lane and cut her up badly and that probably caused the fault. the wheel rim took most of the impact.

Could it be that you car has had hard contact with a kerb or such or you regularly keep bouncing up and or down a kerb where you work, live, etc that might have knocked it out over a period of time.

This is in my experience, for all i know it could be a fault with your 'rubber'.

Good luck

Last edited by The Zohan; 25 September 2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 25 September 2005, 11:11 AM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonny gav
I have seen this a few times with toyo's and eagle f1's but only on OZ super leg wheels for some reason, what wheels are you using???
19" RSGTS (aerospeed)
Old 25 September 2005, 11:14 AM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Blimey!

sounds like two different fault IMHO but i am not an expert but have been through a lot of tyres.

IO have had eagles and toyos but never come across this.

sually and this is in my experience lumps on the sidewall are caused by contact with something weakening the strenghtening in the sidewall.

The last set of tyres on my Mitsi, two had worn through to the beading in the inside edge, i could not see easily. that was down to incorrect geometry more likely from an impact with a kerb or such, it did not pull to any side but the geometry was out, i saw the readings. In fairness my partner was forced into the kerb on a roundabout by some knobber who did not use just the one lane and cut her up badly and that probably caused the fault. the wheel rim took most of the impact.

Could it be that you car has had hard contact with a kerb or such or you regularly keep bouncing up and or down a kerb where you work, live, etc that might have knocked it out over a period of time.

This is in my experience, for all i know it could be a fault with you riubber.

Good luck
Cheers Paul, i havn't knocked the rims or anything like that and TSL set up the geometry for me as well. It is very strange to say the least.
Old 25 September 2005, 11:31 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd have it back to the tyre dealer, and ask them their opinion.

A REPUTABLE dealer will see you right. I get my tyres from the same guys every time, they aren't ALWAYS the cheapest, but usually match the best price I can find locally, but they DO care, they DO look after my wheels and are quick to source what I want.

Alcazar