Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

F1 GSD3 Users: Advice appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2005, 02:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F1 GSD3 Users: Advice appreciated.

Hi all,

I know GSD3 threads have been done to death a bit, but I'm nearing the point where I've got to purchase some new shoes for Scooby and since it's an important purchase I'd like some feedback.

I'd pretty much decided on some F1's, but have recently seen a few threads in which people have complained about the tyre walls being too soft for their liking. How is this manifest on the road in terms of handling? Since I'm running the std 16" 205/50 tyres on my MY99, I'm concerned that the relatively high profile of the tyre (compared to many SNetters who seem to be runing 17"/18" wheels) might exacerbate any handling quirks caused by the soft sidewalls.

Basically I want a good all rounder that is progressive and predictable and retains secure handling in the damp and wet. I'd been lead to believe that the GSD3s fitted the bill. Anyone disagree. I hear that PS2s are meant to be very good also.

Anyone run them on 16"s and care to comment. In fact any comments welcome at all!

Cheers for any advice.

NS04
Old 02 September 2005, 01:06 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I bought my MY00 Scoob in 2002, it was unmodified (16" alloys), had a new set of OEM Bridgestones on the front and some Michelin efforts on the back. I drove it for the year or so it took to wear away that set of tyres and thought the handling was okay, I previously owned a BMW E30 325i which could get a bit interesting in the corners especially if it was wet so I though the Scoob was a good improvement.

After reading on here about how good the F1s were I decided that was the next set of tyres to go on. I had them fitted and within a week or so was over to Powerstation to get geometry and bumpsteer mod done, I guess the F1s had bedded in by then. As many have noted they are a bit twitchy for the first few hundred miles. Anyway what a revelation, the grip was amazing, I'm sure it extended way beyond my confidence levels, but when pressing on I had complete faith in its ability to grip the road (except if it's damp, muddy and dark , found to my cost last December ). The only thing I would say is that I did run relatively high pressures (33 - 36 psi) in them as initially they seemed to be wearing rather too quickly on the outer edges.

I've now got 17"s with F1's and the grip on them is easily as good though again they took a while to bed in. Think I'll stick with the Goodyears for now as a good all round tyre
Old 02 September 2005, 02:11 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

In really simple terms, a very stiff side wall (like Bridgestone often produce) will make the car feel as if it's wheels are rollers. A soft sidewall (Toyo etc)will make the car's wheels feel almost like they are balloons.

Soft side wall:
Pros - progressive breakaway as the tyre rolls on to its edge. Also forgiving towards correcting and changing line on a corner. Not prone to tramlining (where the steering wanders along imperfections in the road surface)
Cons - it feels like you have smaller rims, turn in feels less sharp and generally less feel comes back to you from the road surface.
Old 02 September 2005, 02:55 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

The soft side walls will make it feel like the car is sliding when you first turn the wheel as the tyre wall flexes, then it will grip.

Takes a little getting used to, and as above you can run harder pressures to compensate.

Oh and if you are very hard on tyres then I would be careful as I had a set of 16" F1's overheat on the road, feels like they are melting and most of the grip goes, not nice But they have probably improved them since then (2000).

Dave.
Old 02 September 2005, 03:04 PM
flatoutscooby
Scooby Regular

Ive been using 205/50 GSD3's for the last two sets of tyres, they've been the best ive fitted to the scoob so far. The sidewall is softer than most other tyres ive tried but not to any great detrimental effect. Grip in the dry and the wet is awesome it certainly takes some bottle to find their limit! Coincidently i'm having 4 more this afternoon!

Luke
Old 02 September 2005, 07:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by flatoutscooby
Ive been using 205/50 GSD3's for the last two sets of tyres, they've been the best ive fitted to the scoob so far. The sidewall is softer than most other tyres ive tried but not to any great detrimental effect. Grip in the dry and the wet is awesome it certainly takes some bottle to find their limit! Coincidently i'm having 4 more this afternoon!

Luke
Thank you for all your input. I think F1s it is then!

NS04
Old 05 September 2005, 10:41 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The slightly slidey progressive character of the F1's is very predictable and the grip is very good. I find they inspire much more confidence than the stiffer potenzas. In the wet they are excellent too.

Trending Topics

Old 06 September 2005, 10:35 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

I rubbed the writing off the side of my front F1s at the ring with 32psi in them but they are good tyres for grip/feel etc.
Old 06 September 2005, 05:14 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kwakman
I rubbed the writing off the side of my front F1s at the ring with 32psi in them but they are good tyres for grip/feel etc.
Not surprised, I run at least 33psi in them on the road, would go to 35-36 for track use.
Old 09 September 2005, 04:35 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they better than Toyo Proxes though?
Old 09 September 2005, 05:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the load rating you need to check, on a classic its about 86, you dont want to run much lower than this number, especially if you carry people around in your car, this causes most of the problems like split sidewalls.

Tony
Old 09 September 2005, 07:25 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

i got a set of 16"s and 17"s with f1's on them and there is quite a noticable roll with the 16"s, although grip levels are probably the same overall, just feels soft on turn in