Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Whats the best tyre for good , normal use ?

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2005, 01:08 AM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the best tyre for good , normal use ?

Hi there,

Whats the best tyre between say Goodyear F1's , Toyo Proxes T1-R , Bridgestones ?? Gotta buy tyres in next 24 hours ..

HELP!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 28 June 2005, 01:29 AM
Rioja
Scooby Regular

'spose it depends on the car your putting it on and the type of driving you intend doing. My own preferance is for the Goodyear F1, I've been putting them on my MY98 for the last 6 years and been very happy. You may like them; you may not! You pays your money........
Old 28 June 2005, 01:32 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

or you could search for past threads on this subject....
Old 28 June 2005, 09:01 AM
ScoobyAddict
Scooby Regular

I'm a big fan of Eagle F1's, stuck 'em on both our little roadsters.
Couldn't get any 2 fit the RX8 unfortunately which ran on so-so Bridgestones (good but could've been better!)
HOWEVER, the new STi came with REO70's (Bridgestone Potenzas again but what a difference!).
I LOVE these & I can honestly say my scoob is a true everyday car, school runs, motorway, town, twisties, it does the lot & wet or dry, they have NEVER given me any cause for concern or whingeing!
(Apart from being deafened on concrete M/way stretches but we just shove in a Rammstein CD & turn the volume up!)
Not only that but we picked our STi up in December & it's already done over 20k miles, so fair 2 say we've given the tyres a good testing & as we live out in the sticks, the car had the worst of everything winter can offer chucked at it from the word go!
Don't b put off by the looks, at first glance u think Oh good, when it rains, I'll die! But u won't (unless u drive like a complete ****, in which case nobody's tyres r gonna help u!)!
I wouldn't risk carting my 3 kids around on tyres I wasn't completely happy with & 4 general all-round use, I would say the REO70's r up there with the best!
Only my experience of course, good luck!
Old 28 June 2005, 01:18 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Just replaced my normal Goodyear F1's GSD3's with F1 GSD3 XL. The stiffer side wall further helps over little bumps. Kept the same tyre because I found it good in all weathers and didn't want to try a different tyre just to be disappointed.
Old 28 June 2005, 01:47 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Michelin Pilot Sport 2's
Old 28 June 2005, 07:02 PM
speccy c
Scooby Regular

RE070,s superb all round tyre. recently done croft track day with them on, the grip and wear was excellent for a road tyre. imo.

Trending Topics

Old 28 June 2005, 07:12 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I've recently changed to RE070's, very very good tyre and new fitment to 05sti's so now easy to get as well.

dipster
Old 28 June 2005, 07:43 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Ta ..

Thanks everyone ..

I have RE070's on justnow but thay are a no-no on Classics

So folks .. that means they'll be up for sale in the next few days if anyone wants to make me offers They've only just been run in ( Miss Daisy here ) .. done 1,000 miles .

Anyway .. back to topic I'll enquire about those F1's as Ive heard a couple of good stories about them .

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 28 June 2005, 08:20 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

F1's for me on my second set.no probs
Old 28 June 2005, 11:43 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

I was tempted to try something new, car is an ’05 STi with Prodrive springs and PPP. I wanted to go to 18” wheels so I started looking at all the options trying to figure out exactly what each tyre was like from all the comments around. I looked at Audi and Porch forums as well as Scoobynet, my short list basically ended up as Toyo’s, Goodyear F1’s, Bridgestone SO3, Dunlop Sport Maxx, Dunlop SP9000 and a few others quickly ruled out for one reason or another.
On balance Toyo’s seemed to attract as many negative comments as positive so they were out. The Goodyear’s are obviously outstanding tyres overall. The Bridgestone’s are now discontinued and comments seemed quite mixed. The Dunlop Sport Maxx is very new but looked potentially very good. I had the SP9000 on a Quattro so I knew they were quite decent overall with outstanding ride and quietness, good dry handling but only moderately good wet handling.
Then I found Maragoni Zeta Linea being used quite a lot in Europe on some fairly serious cars. They look quite similar to the F1’s but come with a 92W load/speed rating in the 225/40/18 size I wanted. Never being shy of trying anything once I bought a set. Initially they seem rather squirmy but that is going away as they bed in (I believe the Goodyear F1’s are a bit like that?). Grip overall seems excellent but the real standout things are zero tram lining with an amazing ride and road feel. Only driven them once in the wet but they are shaping up to be amazing. Over the slightly nervous RE070 they make the car feel dramatically more “planted” on the road, I don’t think they will match the RE070’s ultimate flat dry road grip, but on all other fronts they are excellent tyres. http://www.marangoni.com/content.asp?L=3&IdMen=146
Old 29 June 2005, 12:19 PM
Sideways, the way forward
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevoWRX
Thanks everyone ..

I have RE070's on justnow but thay are a no-no on Classics

So folks .. that means they'll be up for sale in the next few days if anyone wants to make me offers They've only just been run in ( Miss Daisy here ) .. done 1,000 miles .

Anyway .. back to topic I'll enquire about those F1's as Ive heard a couple of good stories about them .

Thanks again,

Steve
why are they a no no?
Old 30 June 2005, 12:36 AM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Sideways, the way forward
why are they a no no?
Hello,

They do look the dog's bits but you have to corner like you are driving your 80 year old granny with a heart condition , otherwise they rub on the wheel-arches ! ..Well they do on mine ..I have a wagon .. maybe the saloon's different ??

Thanks for all peeps replying .. gone ahead with Goodyears and getting them fitted on Friday .. Woohoo !!

Cheers,

Steve
Old 01 July 2005, 05:42 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Stevo, just bear in mind they'll feel a bit squirmy for 500-1000 miles.

I'd also strongly suggest running at 2-3 psi over standard pressures (eg. 35/33 or thereabouts) if running on a stock new age in particular, the softer sidewalls seem to benefit hugely in feel from a bit more air, especially on the boingy new age standard suspension.

Jerry.
Old 01 July 2005, 09:31 PM
stevoWRX
Scooby Regular

Wink Thanks to all and link to RE070s for sale ..

Hi Jerry .. Cheers.. They're on a Classic that wasnt designed for those tyres so they're off now .. Put Goodyears on and all I can say is WOW !!!! Done 50 miles on them and they feel superb !!! 225 profile tyres just didnt suit my car . Have heard a lot of good things about these RE070s tho but on New Age ..

Which brings me to allert all the vultures here they're up for sale here ...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=438633

Thanks again to those who posted here .
Cheers,

Steve