Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

quick rubbery question

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2005, 12:06 PM
dursley paul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick rubbery question

picking up my new wrx sportswagon on friday :-)

what are the factory 17" tyres & what are there exact profiles...and are they any good?

reason i ask is that i've recently sold my seat leon cupra, I ran it on pirelli F1s that really suited it as they refused to understeer on a heavy, powerful fwd car

i assume the scoob comes with michelins?
Old 08 June 2005, 12:24 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I suspect your car will come with Bridgestones in 215/45/17, but could be wrong.

Do you mean Goodyear Eagle F1 or are they Pirellis you have?
Old 08 June 2005, 12:48 PM
dursley paul
Scooby Regular

yep, sorry meant goodyear!!
Originally Posted by Andy Tang
I suspect your car will come with Bridgestones in 215/45/17, but could be wrong.

Do you mean Goodyear Eagle F1 or are they Pirellis you have?
Old 08 June 2005, 12:57 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

The OEM Bridgestones tyres are generally thought of as average, however why not use those tyres to get used to the car and start to find the limits, then when they're shot change them for Goodyear F1's. Generally regarded on here as one of the best tyres for a Scooby.

I guessing from your user name you're from Dursley (nr. Stroud, Gloucs?), if so it's also worth getting you scoob up to Powerstation in Tewkesbury for a full four wheel alignment. This can also make a huge difference to the handling as the tolerences from the factory are shall we say quite wide. They can set it up for fast road use with some negative camber dialled in. Worth every penny
Old 08 June 2005, 02:21 PM
dursley paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
The OEM Bridgestones tyres are generally thought of as average, however why not use those tyres to get used to the car and start to find the limits, then when they're shot change them for Goodyear F1's. Generally regarded on here as one of the best tyres for a Scooby.

I guessing from your user name you're from Dursley (nr. Stroud, Gloucs?), if so it's also worth getting you scoob up to Powerstation in Tewkesbury for a full four wheel alignment. This can also make a huge difference to the handling as the tolerences from the factory are shall we say quite wide. They can set it up for fast road use with some negative camber dialled in. Worth every penny
cheers for this, will do...

how come the factory alignment is ropey?? i'd have thought that an original honed alignment was crucial on a high performance 4WD car!? do you think they just can't be fecked, or is it tricky to get bang on...does the slight negative camber speed up wear? i would like it set up for fast road use, as i've got a pug for track days...
Old 08 June 2005, 09:18 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dursley paul
cheers for this, will do...

how come the factory alignment is ropey?? i'd have thought that an original honed alignment was crucial on a high performance 4WD car!? do you think they just can't be fecked, or is it tricky to get bang on...does the slight negative camber speed up wear? i would like it set up for fast road use, as i've got a pug for track days...
Don't think the alignment is ropey instead the tolerances are quite wide. Does make a huge difference having it done though. From memory my front camber it set to about 1 degree 4 minutes on Prodrive springs (bit less than the Prodrive recommended value) and so far no excessive inside wear. This on a MY04 WRX. On the subject of Prodrive springs would thouroughly recommend them. Best £300 I have spent on a car.

I quite like the Bridgestone once they are up to temperature but they do seem to be a bit pressure sensitive and from my experience need rotating as recommended by Subaru to keep the handling balance/feel up to spec. (Suppose this is true regardless of tyre make though). Having said that will possible change to Michelin Pilot Sports when they are worn.

Hope this helps.
Old 08 June 2005, 09:58 PM
dursley paul
Scooby Regular

Smile

yep yep

thanks fellas...all very helpful :-)

just can't wait to get the thing on friday...
Old 08 June 2005, 10:43 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Prodrive springs will make a world of difference, standard tyres should be Bridgestone RE050's which replaced the RE040's in 215/45/17