Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

With engine off brakes are rock hard, engine running they are spongey - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2005, 10:20 AM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default With engine off brakes are rock hard, engine running they are spongey - Why?

Hi All,

As with alot of other scooby owner, my scooby suffers with spongey brakes. What I've noticed is that with the engine turned off, the brake peddle becomes rock hard (almost no travel). With the engine running the brakes return to their normal spongey feel (you feel as you could almost press it to the floor!).

Just wondering why its so different when running? Its as though the servo is inducing the spongeyness.

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 03 June 2005, 11:48 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

That would be the other way round. Servo assistance only works when the engine is running. Sounds like with the engine off it feels as it should - very hard because it's non servo assisted. But with spongey feel (with the engine on), it sounds like you have air/water in the pipes/fluid.

When was the last time you had them bled or a complete replacement of the fluid? I think the new age service schedules say new fluid every year, but some do it sooner (every 6 months).

If you pump the brakes quickly does it tighten/harden up (with the engine running)?
Old 03 June 2005, 03:23 PM
waynerobshaw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Miniman
That would be the other way round. Servo assistance only works when the engine is running. Sounds like with the engine off it feels as it should - very hard because it's non servo assisted. But with spongey feel (with the engine on), it sounds like you have air/water in the pipes/fluid.

When was the last time you had them bled or a complete replacement of the fluid? I think the new age service schedules say new fluid every year, but some do it sooner (every 6 months).

If you pump the brakes quickly does it tighten/harden up (with the engine running)?
I'm not sure when the last fluid change was done (I've only had the car a month), but I was thinking of doing a full change. It does seem to get a little better after a few pumps.

I'll do a complete fluid change and see if things improve.

Thanks for the suggestion Miniman.