Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake pads worn out in 3k

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2005, 09:22 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake pads worn out in 3k

I fitted a set of ebc red ceramics and grooved disc 3k miles ago and the little metal wear indicators are almost touching the disc now. I've not been on track just general road driving. I'm doing a track day on friday and going to the ring at the end of june, so going to order some new pads tommorrow. Now do i get the same, as i'm very happy with the performance, or should i get some ferrodo 2500's. I've had 2500's before and they lasted very well, including a trip to the ring, but i had standard discs. I am assuming grooved discs severly reduce the life of your pads, but 3k seems a very short life span!!!
Old 22 May 2005, 09:45 AM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

When it comes to keeping these lovely machines on the road, I prefer not to scrimp and scrape on tyres and brake components. With that said though, obviously we have to incorporate some basic economics and a little common sense.

Perhaps get some Ferrodo's this time with the view to ditching and getting another set of the Red Stuff if they don't please you. 3K miles does seem a tad unfair, but brake pads and rotors are cheap... crash repairs can be expensive.

Of course, you could just drive as if there was a cup of water on the bonnet and didn't want to spill any.

Jonts.
Old 22 May 2005, 11:35 AM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also check the calipers are not binding and that the pistons are free as I had this problem with some 4 pots and the pads only lasted 3000 on the faulty one...
Old 23 May 2005, 02:19 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My EBC Reds only lasted 6k, with no track work and winter use Now running Ferodo DS2000, and I hope they last a little better
Old 23 May 2005, 11:37 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ferodo's will last longer, but boy are they dusty as ****. Expect to be cleaning your wheels every day.

I agree to some extent with Jonty, but expensive does not always equal the best. Thousands of Imprezas are driven hard with OE pads and don't always end up in ditches. The vast majority of accidents will be driver error rather than someone penny pinching.

Unless you drive the car hard everywhere, then 3K is very low from a set of pads.
Old 23 May 2005, 12:14 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
I agree to some extent with Jonty, but expensive does not always equal the best.
My angle isn't really 'expensive is best', more a case of sticking with something if it works and you're happy to. The fact that the pads in question aren't cheap is just a bad example really.

Jonts.
Old 23 May 2005, 01:03 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I've orderde a new set of reds and also thrown a set in for the rear aswell to help the fronts out a bit which should help them last a bit longer. The current pads haven't totally gone, but i reckon they will ready for the bin, as will all 4 tyres, after the track day on friday
Old 23 May 2005, 01:13 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

The pagid RS4.2.1's (Blues) are good and the RS4.2.2's (Black) are harder but squeal like buggery ....
Old 23 May 2005, 03:59 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
I fitted a set of ebc red ceramics and grooved disc 3k miles ago and the little metal wear indicators are almost touching the disc now.
The "wear indicator", is it bent out of shape in anyway? Someone reported this problem on here a while ago.
Old 23 May 2005, 04:32 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
The "wear indicator", is it bent out of shape in anyway? Someone reported this problem on here a while ago.
There does still seem a fair bit of pad left, but the indicators are straight (apart from the little 90 egree bend at the end). I am assuming they are worn out as soon as the pads are at the same level as the indicator. I was told my originals were 80% worn by subaru, and these look about the same
Old 23 May 2005, 04:45 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

There does still seem a fair bit of pad left, but the indicators are straight (apart from the little 90 egree bend at the end). I am assuming they are worn out as soon as the pads are at the same level as the indicator. I was told my originals were 80% worn by subaru, and these look about the same
I fitted my Red Stuff rears over the weekend and read in the instructions that the pads should be replaced when 3mm of meat is left. If you reach the wear indicator then you should already be passed this point (assuming my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.)

Jonts.
Old 23 May 2005, 04:53 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

There looks like there is loads of pad material left, but the wear indicator is almost touching. I am going to take a picture when i get home tonight and post it up.
Old 23 May 2005, 05:12 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

There looks like there is loads of pad material left, but the wear indicator is almost touching. I am going to take a picture when i get home tonight and post it up.
Aye, I'd have a good nose with the wheel(s) off... even take the pads out and inspect them if you have time. I kinda goofed just by looking through the wheel and thought I was very, very low on pad depth and it turned out they (std pads) weren't as bad as I thought, however, I think they'd gone off so no love lost and they'll make for emergency spares.

Jonts.
Old 23 May 2005, 06:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The crappy wear indicators often take a knock prior to fitting and can start making that God awful noise when there's plenty of pad left. Just take the pad out, inspect and if need be, bend the clips back to where they should be. I prefer to break the ******* off
Old 23 May 2005, 08:24 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

is there anybody here who has had reasonable life out of these pads??,i'm about to replace my discs and pads and there seems to be alot of mixed opinions on the ceramics,what is excepted as average life of the red ceramics and turbo grooved discs?i know the grooved discs do shorten the pad life and i'm trying to decide wether to get normal discs or grooved discs,i don't use my car on a track but i do drive it how it can drive on the road.
Old 23 May 2005, 08:29 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Here they are:-

Old 23 May 2005, 08:34 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

they don't look that worn to be honest,i think it is your wear indicator bent forward a bit that is the problem,i would say they are half worn.
Old 23 May 2005, 10:18 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark6
they don't look that worn to be honest,i think it is your wear indicator bent forward a bit that is the problem,i would say they are half worn.
Agreed. An educated guess (as I don't have a new set of front pads to compare) but I'd say those pads are 1/3 worn (1/2 at the most.) Plenty of life left and you just need to reshape those wear indicators.

Jonts.
Old 24 May 2005, 07:06 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

B@stard wear indicators, i splashed out £130 yesterday for pads!!! I suppose i will use them, but could have done without the expense this month. Seeing that i'm doing a trackday on friday and then the ring next month, i suppose they will be fecked sooner than later
Old 25 May 2005, 03:57 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

The following are measurements from a brand new set of pads:

From the edge of the backplate (where the material makes contact to it) to the trailing chamfered edge - just over 3mm.
From the edge of the backplate (where the material makes contact to it) to the wear indicator almost 5mm.

Total material depth just over 9mm.

All these measurements, "by eye" (and a ruler )

I think EBC are now removing wear indicators from these pads.

HTH

Buck
Old 25 May 2005, 04:01 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that.

I take it that when you have worn down to the trailing chamfered edge, its time to through the pad away ??

I bet my wear indictors are 6mm away from backplate!!
Old 25 May 2005, 04:13 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that.

I take it that when you have worn down to the trailing chamfered edge, its time to through the pad away ??

I bet my wear indictors are 6mm away from backplate!!
3mm I think is the recommended time to replace the pads, so yes, once down to the trailing chamfered edge, start looking for replacments.

Buck
Old 25 May 2005, 06:01 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
... once down to the trailing chamfered edge, start looking for replacments.

Buck
I won't have to look very far, they arrived today, 3000miles early
Old 25 May 2005, 06:09 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

I won't have to look very far, they arrived today, 3000miles early
Have you gone with Ceramics again or different make?
Old 25 May 2005, 06:18 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Ceramics, front and rear this time (am running OEM at the rear at the moment), very, very happy with the stopping ability of them. And now i've realised they aren't worn out after 3k, I will hopefully not be unhappy with the life of them
Old 26 May 2005, 09:15 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Ceramics, front and rear this time (am running OEM at the rear at the moment), very, very happy with the stopping ability of them. And now i've realised they aren't worn out after 3k, I will hopefully not be unhappy with the life of them
Hello Austen,
Did you notice any fade with the redstuff pads? I recently changed over to redstuff from DS2500. They have been on for just over 200 miles, but I'm noticing a change in feel after a few roundabouts, like having to push the pedal further for the same effect. The DS2500s were not like that.
Old 26 May 2005, 09:50 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I've never really felt any serious fade, but i do know what you mean about the feel changing. I will let you know more after the track day tommorow
Old 27 May 2005, 10:14 AM
JPS3290
Scooby Regular

Heres a pic of some EBC red stuff pads i have for the Sti waiting to go on to compare against.

Old 27 May 2005, 09:35 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Ok, just gor back from hullavington. The pads stopped very well, but they disintergrated after the 5th time out. So they went from the pictures on the other page to dust in about 50 track miles. They are great on road, but not really up to it on the track Will hve to try something more aggressive next time