Brake problem WRX STI -2003

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2005, 08:46 AM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake problem WRX STI -2003

Hi,

I have a problem with the front-brakes on my STI, they are constantly rubbing my discs, not much but you can hear it when driving slow in a garage and the noice is exacltly the same as I get when braking, it sounds a bit like metal scraping the disks(the pads are ok though).

The dealer refuses to recognize this as a problem but it sooo anoying for me along with the scraping sound of in low speeds when appying brake.

I suspect that the brake-pistons does not retract properly after braking and therefor leaves the pads to slightly touch the disks.
I read on another forum that someone greased up the pistons in the brakes to smoothen the brakes and it worked for him.

What type of grease would you recommend to use in this case so that I do not destroy the brake-pistonsß

/lo
Old 12 April 2005, 10:44 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 03 STi and that sounds pretty normal to me. The pads will just brush the disc when not applied. I can clearly hear the rears when braking gently, copper greasing the shims on the back of the pads makes little difference. The cure is to turn the radio up a bit more!
JohnD

PS Greasing the pistons themselves would mean completly dismantling the caliper, much brake bleeding etc and would possibly eventually sieze the pistons as well as contaminating the fluid! Did the guy really mean the piston itself or just the end where it contacts the back of the pad?

Last edited by JohnD; 12 April 2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12 April 2005, 11:17 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably meant, using a rubber based grease and coating the pistons, then working them in and out (carefully) a few times. Used to have to do this on the bike quite often.

John.