Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Strange noise after fitting new brakes...?

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2005, 06:25 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange noise after fitting new brakes...?

Good evening all, after fitting new discs and pads last weekend I've noticed a noise coming from what I think is the drivers side, possibly front.

I have a uk MY96 classic turbo wagon. I've recently upgraded to 4-pots and last weekend fitted a set of 295mm, grooved, semi drilled discs and red ceramic pads, both discs and pads only done 1000 miles and purchased from a good pal and fellow scoobynetter.

My wheels are also new, K&N RVR's, 17" and subaru offset. The noise, and this is the only way to describe it, is, almost like the noise a stick in the spokes of a bicycle wheel makes when in motion, and, it does alter depending on my speed. It's more noticeable when driving between parked cars or down a terraced street.

I also have richbrook braided hoses.

Any ideas before I take all above-mentioned items off.........?

I am absolutely sure that discs, pads and calipres were correctly refitted.

Many thanx in advance.

Si.
Old 27 March 2005, 12:24 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

did you put the anti-rattle strips back in the right way round? common mistake matey
Old 27 March 2005, 09:51 AM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Yeah, over the top pin and under the bottom pin (?).

Si.
Old 27 March 2005, 10:41 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I can never remember unless I'm looking at it. One way rattles and 'grates', the other way is quiet- and the right way to do it
Old 27 March 2005, 11:48 PM
gr1
Scooby Regular

check you havent got anything stuck between disc & backplate/stone or debris/usually makes helluva noise though
cheers
Old 28 March 2005, 08:11 AM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

are you sure the pad wear sensors arnt touching the disc ?? mine was doing this on barely half worn pads, ripped em off in the end
Old 28 March 2005, 11:43 AM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Thanx for all replies, I've removed wheel and checked OSF caliper, everything is on okay, no marks on disc to suggest grit although the noise would suggest an abrasion against the run of the grooves. The wear indicators is not an issue and also a metallic scraping sound, had that before.

I'm having a set of eibachs fitted on Thursday, I'll ask my mechanic to check them out for me.............still stumped though.

Thanx again, I'll post results and /or remedy on Thursday, it may come in handy again for someone else.

Si.

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2005, 12:11 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Check the backplate itself behind the disc, it is very pliable and will bend easily, if you have fitted bigger discs you may have bent it when removing the old ones, take the wheel off and make sure you can see daylight all the way around between the disc and backplate.

Zippy
Old 29 March 2005, 06:12 PM
terry3333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoosh
Good evening all, after fitting new discs and pads last weekend I've noticed a noise coming from what I think is the drivers side, possibly front.

I have a uk MY96 classic turbo wagon. I've recently upgraded to 4-pots and last weekend fitted a set of 295mm, grooved, semi drilled discs and red ceramic pads, both discs and pads only done 1000 miles and purchased from a good pal and fellow scoobynetter.

My wheels are also new, K&N RVR's, 17" and subaru offset. The noise, and this is the only way to describe it, is, almost like the noise a stick in the spokes of a bicycle wheel makes when in motion, and, it does alter depending on my speed. It's more noticeable when driving between parked cars or down a terraced street.

I also have richbrook braided hoses.

Any ideas before I take all above-mentioned items off.........?

I am absolutely sure that discs, pads and calipres were correctly refitted.

Many thanx in advance.

Si.
exactly that matey (spot on description .. like the old card in spokes with a peg trick) i'm getting it on my new ebc turbo grooved and dimpled plus ebc ceramics.. see my post second page. link below

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=408285

terry

Last edited by terry3333; 29 March 2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 29 March 2005, 10:15 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Terry, that's the exact same combination I've got on my 96 uk wagon.

Bloody stumped to say the least.......will hopefully be sorted on Thursday and I'll let you know the results.

Can't understand why the ticking gets faster as I brake though and, considerably quieter too.......IT MUST BE THE OLD STONE BETWEEN DISC AND PAD SCENARIO

Si.
Old 30 March 2005, 08:56 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

probably the grooves on the discs then, my old nova used to do this when i fitted grooved disks.
Old 30 March 2005, 09:52 PM
terry3333
Scooby Regular

just to set my mind at ease has anyone got pics of the turbo grooved discs fitted ? so i can compare to mine.. to make sure i have fitted them the right way round ....!

just curious to see ..

terry
Old 01 April 2005, 05:18 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Well, I had the eibachs fitted yesterday.........nice 'n' stiff now, BUT................still got this bloody racket coming from offside.

I'm not convinced it's coming from the front anymore as they were thoroughly checked yesterday, it sounds like the rear offside to me, certainly more noticeable when driving next to an object such as a high kerb or crash barrier
etc etc.......

Thing is, as the car speeds up, the noise speeds up ( ticking sound ) BUT,when I apply the brakes it gets extremely quick, almost a constant sound almost as if something is rubbing against my braided hoses.

Starting to **** me off now.

Si.
Old 01 April 2005, 06:09 PM
terry3333
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skoosh
Well, I had the eibachs fitted yesterday.........nice 'n' stiff now, BUT................still got this bloody racket coming from offside.

I'm not convinced it's coming from the front anymore as they were thoroughly checked yesterday, it sounds like the rear offside to me, certainly more noticeable when driving next to an object such as a high kerb or crash barrier
etc etc.......

Thing is, as the car speeds up, the noise speeds up ( ticking sound ) BUT,when I apply the brakes it gets extremely quick, almost a constant sound almost as if something is rubbing against my braided hoses.

Starting to **** me off now.

Si.

Si

i'm wondering if the pads are catchin the occasional disc groove or dimple ...? hence it speeds up when you speed up!! .......and gets quicker when brakes are applied... because pads then catch on all grooves or dimples ??

just trying to get to the bottom of it cos mine are driving me mad

i see there is a group buy on these at the mo .. so i will ask some of the buyers if they get this prob when they fit theirs.. will be interestin to see...

terry
Old 03 April 2005, 05:29 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up ***** SORTED *****

Hi all, thanx for the many replies but I think I've sorted the problem.....!

As I thought, the noise was definately at rear wheel ( OSR ) and after a thorough investigation today, my findings are as follows:

1) Initially thought it was rear indicators, have checked pads and although
they are pretty close to being replaced, not the indicators.

2) As zippy said ( hows the Ninja m8? ) it would appear that the plate behind
the disc wasn't warped, but corroded to the point of a hole has developed
and the debris had actually lodged itself between disc and plate flange at
bottom of plate.

The noise had got progressively worse today, taken car for spin and noise is NO MORE................!!!!

Si.