Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY05 Sti abs. Scary stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2005, 09:32 AM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face MY05 Sti abs. Scary stuff!

Wet this morning and had to stop a little quick for temporary traffic lights. Here you go:

-try and make it while they're still green.
-not gonna happen so stomp the brakes.
-ok this feels good, new car and it feels like it's stopping like the P1 with brake upgrade.
-manhole cover, really bad. ABS kicks and car accelerates towards traffic lights. P1 would have 'rumbled' over cover and then continued to stop but no joy in the new car.
-traffic lights want to make really good friends but fortuanately I avoid this by 2 yards.
-Get home and change underwear!

Seriously though this really did frighten me a bit as I assumed the car would continue to stop to the best of its ability after the manhole cover. The ABS however thought otherwise and let the car go for at least 20 yards after and then 'allowed' me to try and draw to a rapid stop.

Any comments or am I being ridiculous?
Anyone else with an 05 tried the same thing?

Ben
Old 23 March 2005, 08:16 AM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

yep the ABs on my 03wrx is a little scary as well. cought me out when they started gritting the roads this year and i lost my brakes on the entrance to a corner
Old 23 March 2005, 01:32 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Same thing on my MY02 WRX.

I *think* its still decelerating you, but your mind/body is tuned to what the pedal/brake rate should be, so the car changing that makes you think your accelerating, whereas you are still decelerating but not as much.

I have mentioned it to the dealer who found nothing wrong with the ABS. Read a few posts on here since which indicate others have found similar things.

It appears to be an "undocumented feature" of the car.