Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

bedding in new pads on used discs

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2005, 02:47 AM
Frank T.
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bedding in new pads on used discs

I am now using Australian DBA discs with Hawk pads but not impressed with the performance.
The discs look still ok after I used them for a couple of months so it seems the pads are the problem.
I am now planning to change my pads and wanted to ask whether you need to treat the discs in one way or the other when changing from one brand of pads to the other in order to get rid of the film put down on the discs by the previous Hawk pads.
Or is it just a matter of installing the new pads from another brand and bed them in in accordance with the instructions?

Tnks

Frank
Old 11 March 2005, 08:08 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

depends on the material you are going to replace them with?? some are aggressive enough to "cut" thro' the previous layers, but in a lot of cases you will just cause problems for yourself.......................best advice is to lightly scour the disc surfaces with a light wet/dry type paper in circular motions to give a clean sheet............

bed your new pads as per manufacturers recomend and you should be fine...........

alyn
Old 11 March 2005, 08:17 AM
Frank T.
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockcar
depends on the material you are going to replace them with?? some are aggressive enough to "cut" thro' the previous layers, but in a lot of cases you will just cause problems for yourself.......................best advice is to lightly scour the disc surfaces with a light wet/dry type paper in circular motions to give a clean sheet............

bed your new pads as per manufacturers recomend and you should be fine...........

alyn
Thanks Alyn, I know these sandpapers come in various grades, what grade would you recommend?
Old 11 March 2005, 09:08 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

all you need is a very fine grade nothing too abrasive.............

alyn