Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Problem Godspeed Disks?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2005, 05:46 PM
LR6GSR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Godspeed Disks?

Has anyone else had any problems with Godspeed Drilled & Grooved Fast Road Disks (1 piece) which he guarantees against warping for a year?

I purchased and fitted a set for my Evo 6 and after about 3 months and some fast road use (no track days) the pedal feel changed and a servere judder appeared making the car undrivable.

I asked on the Forum for advice and spoke to Ian @Godspeed regarding my concerns to try and understand what the problem was.

I checked the hubs,cleaned the hubs, dialed in the disks, cleaned the disks, removed the mintex pads tried Brembo pads, checked for run out on the disk (which seemed to run quite well) and still the judder was quite violent.

Ian suggested trying many of the above over a few E-Mails which included worn wheel bearings? (not a known Evo failure is it?)

I could not use the car and needed it every day which caused a problem, i had to return the disks to Godspeed. A friend came to the rescue and i fitted STD,Brembos with my Mintex pads.
This provided an instant cure for all my issues. Safe reliable braking at last.

Ian now had the disks and after E-Mails Phone messages and contact on a live thread i managed to progress the issue with him.

Rather agresively he went on about other customers, he could not drop everything for me etc etc..( i had only asked for feed back not a rush responce)
I then Received a picture and mail saying there was no probelm with the disks they were well withing toleranc within 1/2 a thou.
BUT HE MACHINED THE HUB FACE TO MAKE THEM BETTER FOR ME??????

If they were perfect why the machining? or had he just removed all evidence of the problem?

Atfer months of removing brakes stripping down, changing set ups the only thing to cure the violent judder every time was removal of the Godspeed Disks. Countless hours under the car and i had to buy a new set of disks to alow me to return the borrowed set and keep mobile!

I asked for a refund on the basis the product did not perform and i had already had an undue amount of inconvienience as a customer . This has not happened. I was offered 50% and the disks (which i do not want as I am concerned they fail again?)

At the moment I have had no refund or received my disks back.

I am looking to see if i am alone on this issue as i will need to gather information should i need to resolve this issue @ the Small Claims Court

Please PM or reply below with any constuctive feedback you may have. I have at all times looked to resolve this without resorting to an open forum but with no results.

Sorry to have gone on so long Liam

PS All problems on other makes of vehicle will be of interest.
Old 19 February 2005, 06:00 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

from what I understand from Ian is that you checked the discs , being a qualified engineer , and found no run out , Ian also checked them and found a small amount of runout that was well in tollerance but trued them up so there is no runout at all , and you still expect a full refund !! get real mate..he has a very good name on here for his products so good luck .
the discs have been sent back to you over a week ago but the couriers said you wouldn't accept them

Last edited by awd wrx; 19 February 2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 19 February 2005, 06:26 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

There will always be problems with parts supplied by anyone. Ian always does his level best to resolve these for you. He sorted out a problem I had with some bolts and I have had no problems since.

Have you had the discs back to try after they have been machined?

May be worth a try.
Old 19 February 2005, 07:18 PM
LR6GSR
Scooby Newbie

awd wrx
You must be close to Ian that is fine by me. I have not got an issue with run out, just a violent judder when using his product. I am not slatting the product with out having tired all Ians advise before returning the disks. I have probably spent 15-20 hours working on this problem and had my car i bits countless times looking for an answer. The fact remains that i had an issue with the product supplied to me.
Ian claims the run out was 1/2 a thou and he has new disks running out more then that.
1) why machine a perfect disk?
2) why did a perfect disk give a violent judder?
3) the repacement disks (Brembo) cure the fault

I have had no contact from a courier in any way shape or form so i have not had a refund or my disks back.

Just want to see if others have had issues, it may well be an Evo related problem. In an effort to be open minded i am asking various car owners for feedback.
Cheers Liam
Originally Posted by awd wrx
from what I understand from Ian is that you checked the discs , being a qualified engineer , and found no run out , Ian also checked them and found a small amount of runout that was well in tollerance but trued them up so there is no runout at all , and you still expect a full refund !! get real mate..he has a very good name on here for his products so good luck .
the discs have been sent back to you over a week ago but the couriers said you wouldn't accept them
Old 20 February 2005, 08:43 AM
willy
Scooby Regular

No problems from me...Godspeed products are excellent vfm... and very effective too.
As others have said, Ian works for himself and can only do one thing at a time... so patience is needed.

Old 20 February 2005, 09:02 AM
baz sti 8
Scooby Regular

i think godspeed are very good, i had 2 kits off them and NEVER had ANY problems, and i think a lot of people feel the same!!!

baz
Old 20 February 2005, 09:56 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi

I have a set of Godspeed discs and Brembo calipers, they're excellent. From reading posts on this site he must have supplied hundreds of kits to alot of satisfied customers.
Old 20 February 2005, 10:04 AM
LR6GSR
Scooby Newbie

Thats fair i think it could be a one off problem or an Evo thing.
The 2 piece Evo kit gets a good feed back generaly so i am not surprised.
I am not knoking working for yourselfe i am sure it has its problems, There are a few who have had problems on Evo's.

Thanks for the feed back Liam

Originally Posted by andy97
Hi

I have a set of Godspeed discs and Brembo calipers, they're excellent. From reading posts on this site he must have supplied hundreds of kits to alot of satisfied customers.
Old 20 February 2005, 10:17 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Liam

Yes I am close to Ian as I work about 200yds away from him , and he is a friend , I was actually with him in santa pod when he was talking to you about the discs , he told you then that the discs could warp , as the EVO does have a design flaw in the discs and it is very common for most EVO's to warp there discs , I cannot see how you dont know this , having told Ian that you have warped many discs in the past , and being the ' East Anglia Area Meets Organiser ' and being a regular on the MLR with a large post count , who on there doesn't know about EVO's warping discs , are you trying to tell me you dont know this ??

Ian has also offered you the upgrade to the discs and bells by just paying the difference between the 2 , these 2 piece discs dont have a problem , as many on the MLR will state , but you rejected this offer , stating things like ' not fit for purpose ' ect , it would seem to me that you dont want to listen to reason , you have it in your mind that you want your money back and will do anything necessary to reach your goal , even after admitting that you , a qualified engineer has checked the discs and found no runout , I find it shocking that people act this way.....

to note , Ians guarantee's are about the best you can get on discs , if you have a problem he will see if they can be fixed , or he replaces them , and this is with him knowing that you may do track days , any other supplier would laugh in your face if you did track days.
Old 20 February 2005, 10:32 AM
baz sti 8
Scooby Regular

it s just a shame that ian cant comment on this his self it would be good to get 2 sides of the story

baz
Old 20 February 2005, 05:50 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had Ian's kit on my WRX front and back no problems for me, superb piece of kit
Old 21 February 2005, 08:14 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

@awd wrx

Hi there. i too have had a bad judder in my brakes since fitting. ian said something about deposits on the disc but it still continues after 9 months. i have tried to contact ian but to no avail. i am not complaining, i know ian is under pressure and he is busy, but i would like the problem resolved for scooby shhotout this year. i bought the 335mm brembo kit. the only suggestion that my mechanic can see is warped disc(s). i know ian works to very tight tolerances(5 thou) but while my car is in for a few weeks getting bits and pieces do you think you could ask Ian if he could take a look at my discs and machine them if necessary.

Thanks very much

big sinky
Old 21 February 2005, 08:19 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to Ian who said the last contact he had with you was about pad deposits , and you were going to clean them up with some hard use and let him know if it cleaned them up but he has not heard from you since , he assumed that it cured it , if not mail him , he said he will sort them out
Old 21 February 2005, 08:28 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

big sinky,

Alot of people, including myself have had this problem with the 335 kit.

Mine usually clears after a good old hammering of the brakes to clean the surfaces (braking hard from 100 ish on warm brakes). I'm using the original callipers to be fair, but I wouldn't imagine that they would make much difference in this situation.

The pads that I use are Mintex 1144 (?).

Its worth noting that I only ever get this when I have been "comfort braking" when out and about.

Hope this helps,

Wayne.
Old 21 February 2005, 10:04 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

cheers AWD WRX .Ian is right, i spoke to him at TOTB last August and he suggested that. i contacted him november time re some new ds2500 pads, but i havent done anything since. i will contact hhim via email to see if can do something while my car is off the road.

Wayne thanks for the advice. i have tried heavy braking from in excess of 100mph at a couple of drag events but there is still major judder from that speed. comfort braking as you state from 30 - 40 mph is nowhere nearly as bad.

I will contact Ian via email and see if can do something for me.

Cheers

Big Sinky
Old 21 February 2005, 10:21 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may be better taking the discs off and cleaning them properly with some wet 'n dry paper. Also worth taking a Dremel to the grooves and cleaning any gunk out of there.

I get less judder using EBC pads; hated the DS2500's on my car.

Stefan
Old 21 February 2005, 10:16 PM
LR6GSR
Scooby Newbie

Hi yes i am aware that Evo disks can give rise to warping which is why i went for the Godspeed replacemant, with the gaurentee aginst failure.
1) at santa Pod i was on my 1st set of disks (not several sets) and they had had 15k+ of use
2) i asked Ian about the 2 peice he came on strong and thought i was angling for a free set. I asked because i was considering the upgrade.
3) i have never been offered the upgrade in any comunication (and i have them all)
4) Ian said they were not warped they where perfect, had he said yeh they have warped and true to my name i will replace them or true them i might not be here writting on this thread
5) as an enginer i stated they seemed to run fairly well i have never stated they were perfect and true (much to my own suprise large run out would have explained the judder)
6) If Ian knows the Evo combo is a problem he should only offer the 2 piece and save any issues
7) i have never tracked my car
8) my post count is 306 not a big number for over a years work
9) after several setups would you put your wife and kids in the car with a set up you were not happy with and hope you dont get that phone call

More small errors apear to be comming through during descusions it seems that due to Ians bussy work arrangment he may have thought he had offered solutions ie.2 piece upgrade etc. Maybee not read my correspondance fully stating the efforts i had made to try dozens of set ups to look for a solution.
A large part off the problem here could be poor communication, i am glad the Scoob side has good feed back i am looking to be constructive.

Also it looks like the courier may have screwed up the parcel return lost or left it on the door step for anyone passing to rob! i waiting to find out. Ian has been mailed and he seems to be making progress with them.

Thanks all Liam

Originally Posted by awd wrx
Liam

Yes I am close to Ian as I work about 200yds away from him , and he is a friend , I was actually with him in santa pod when he was talking to you about the discs , he told you then that the discs could warp , as the EVO does have a design flaw in the discs and it is very common for most EVO's to warp there discs , I cannot see how you dont know this , having told Ian that you have warped many discs in the past , and being the ' East Anglia Area Meets Organiser ' and being a regular on the MLR with a large post count , who on there doesn't know about EVO's warping discs , are you trying to tell me you dont know this ??

Ian has also offered you the upgrade to the discs and bells by just paying the difference between the 2 , these 2 piece discs dont have a problem , as many on the MLR will state , but you rejected this offer , stating things like ' not fit for purpose ' ect , it would seem to me that you dont want to listen to reason , you have it in your mind that you want your money back and will do anything necessary to reach your goal , even after admitting that you , a qualified engineer has checked the discs and found no runout , I find it shocking that people act this way.....

to note , Ians guarantee's are about the best you can get on discs , if you have a problem he will see if they can be fixed , or he replaces them , and this is with him knowing that you may do track days , any other supplier would laugh in your face if you did track days.
Old 22 February 2005, 12:48 AM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

I have the 335mm kit with OE calipers on my Bugeye and experience brake judder when braking hard on the road. When on racetrack there is no problems apart from small cracks in discs. I use Ferodo DS 2500 and they may be the problem. Otherwise nice brakes, great performance on the track but a little worried about the cracks.

Ian told me to take some photos and mail him which I will as soon as I know how to :-)
Old 22 February 2005, 02:43 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Liam,

Why not contact Ian again & give him the opportunity to come to a firm solution that is acceptable to both parties. Or even a recorded letter would suffice if no emails or calls are forthcoming.

All the best
Old 22 February 2005, 05:14 PM
LR6GSR
Scooby Newbie

Cheers comunication has been better last week or so, Ian is hopefully looking into the courier thing. I just have doubts after the problems i have had with the 1 piece. Having had to buy new disks i have spent the cash i could have used to upgrade.
I will go registered if things dont work out thanks for the advise.

Tarmaniac I was warned drilled might crack a little, but mine never got the use to cause them to crack around the holes
Liam

Originally Posted by Gidney&Knowlesy
Liam,

Why not contact Ian again & give him the opportunity to come to a firm solution that is acceptable to both parties. Or even a recorded letter would suffice if no emails or calls are forthcoming.

All the best
Old 26 February 2005, 07:07 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

My 335mm discs were not drilled only grooved as they are supposed to be for track use, still they cracked.
Old 27 February 2005, 04:46 PM
LR6GSR
Scooby Newbie

Hi I am suprised that grooved cracked i thought it was onlt the drilled holes that gave problems. How you going to get around the cracking?

Liam
Originally Posted by TARManiAC
My 335mm discs were not drilled only grooved as they are supposed to be for track use, still they cracked.
Old 27 February 2005, 05:26 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

You think you've been hard done by here - you should try shoddy products like AP - you pay a fortune and they warp almost immediately!! and cost lots

Only solution I ever have is to never use them again, tell as many people as possible and slag them off as much as possible
Old 28 February 2005, 08:38 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi all. I have a godspeed 308 mm 4 pot kit with grooved and drilled discs bells and mintex 1144 pads. I seem to still suffer what some of you do with the judder from the brakes maybe being caused by the pad deposits causing this. Does this just seem to be certain pads as they are too soft maybe for the discs temperature? I had the brakes on for around 6 months before they started to do this, then Ian suggested I send them to him to get checked out and he found they were not warped but had the pad deposit on them so cleaned them and were sent back and put on. Brakes were fine again for a few weeks and then back to normal as if warped. Do the 1144 pads always do this? Is this maybe sitting with the brakes on in traffic after having a heavy session with the brakes and the heat sort of melts the pads onto the disc? I have tried the clean up the hubs bit myself which seemed fine and also the heavy braking to get rid of the deposits, but they are still the same. Maybe I am not braking hard enough! What would you recomend next? cleaning the discs with wet and dry or maybe change the pads?

This is not a dig in any way at Ian as he has a very good reputation on here and has been very helpfull in the past to me I just wondered what other members had done with the pad situation. I still think these brakes are amazing after I go through the vibration stage of braking untill they bite really well and pop my eye ***** out of their sockets, I doubt you can beat them for the money.
Old 28 February 2005, 10:10 PM
LR6GSR
Scooby Newbie

This reply came from an MLR member and makes sense, the trouble is once you have a build up issue how can you resolve it. New disks/pad or different type?
Hope it helps. Liam

There are various issues raised by this. Whatever the rights or wrongs, this is not the first post of this type regarding these disks.

The first thing is that even without seeing the disks concerned, I would bet a lot of money that they aren't warped. In fact, I have yet to see a disk truly warp. This makes it easy to offer a "no warp" warranty.

There has been lots of research on this subjcet (warping disks). Most of it has been carried out on race tracks, mainly in the US and is not Evo specific but still applies. While I have written about this many times, I am happy to repeat it here.

So, the major finding is that disks don't warp. What causes the judder isn't warping but uneven deposits of pad material getting embedded in the disk. Disk that are made of metal are porous. Under the microscope you can see that the surface isn't smooth but that there are little craters in the surface. Depending on the material used, these can be better or worse. On the worst disks these craters allow pad material to get embedded in the disk in an uneven manner. This leads to high and low spots which cause judder.

The main material that gets trapped is the binder (glue) that holds the pad material together. As it heats, it sets more solidly and the disk begins to wear around it and the build up continues.

Skimming doesn't really help as the fissions (craters) are too deep to be cleared or new craters are opened. It becomes only a matter of time before the vibrations resume. I have never heard of a disk that has been skimmed and that this has been a perminent cure.

Another factor is pad material. It seems that both the friction material and binder can make a big difference. Some pads, usually the most abrasive, seem to be very much self cleaning while some binders seem less likely to "set" into the disks.

With some disk manufacturers the problem is known. Brembo use really poor material for Evo disks and combined with very hot brake temps, it is a problem waiting to happen.

It should be noted that disks made frm the same material might work on one make/model but not another. It is the combination of disk material, cooling or heating and the pad material that causes the problems.

All of the above is distilled from many articles and research papers. I believe that it leads to a simple fact. The disk material on these particular disks is the problem. Not knowing the production methods for the disks themselves and in particular the metal specification, it is difficult to know whether the few problems reported about this make of disk are issolated or whether all/most Godspeed disks are likely to suffer. I do believe that the disks are sold well within Evo tolerences and that this isn't the cause of the problem.

I hope this is of some help, even if it doesn't tackle the specific problem.

Originally Posted by GREEN SCOOBY
Hi all. I have a godspeed 308 mm 4 pot kit with grooved and drilled discs bells and mintex 1144 pads. I seem to still suffer what some of you do with the judder from the brakes maybe being caused by the pad deposits causing this. Does this just seem to be certain pads as they are too soft maybe for the discs temperature? I had the brakes on for around 6 months before they started to do this, then Ian suggested I send them to him to get checked out and he found they were not warped but had the pad deposit on them so cleaned them and were sent back and put on. Brakes were fine again for a few weeks and then back to normal as if warped. Do the 1144 pads always do this? Is this maybe sitting with the brakes on in traffic after having a heavy session with the brakes and the heat sort of melts the pads onto the disc? I have tried the clean up the hubs bit myself which seemed fine and also the heavy braking to get rid of the deposits, but they are still the same. Maybe I am not braking hard enough! What would you recomend next? cleaning the discs with wet and dry or maybe change the pads?

This is not a dig in any way at Ian as he has a very good reputation on here and has been very helpfull in the past to me I just wondered what other members had done with the pad situation. I still think these brakes are amazing after I go through the vibration stage of braking untill they bite really well and pop my eye ***** out of their sockets, I doubt you can beat them for the money.
Old 28 February 2005, 10:30 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i had a set of the extreme discs 325mm and the 4 pot calipers on my gti6, after about 3 months normal road use they warped something chronic so i sent them back and he replaced the disc but kept the original bell and again after 3 months use they warped, in the end i got them skimmed and sold the car it ruined it in my opinion and i wished i had gone for another make like ap but you get what you pay for it was cheap but it showed.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:14 AM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Question

mmmm! its v late and I am v tired, but am i getting the just of this? that the brakes are up to the job? and i know they are as they are shiiiit hot but doo judder, but it is more or less down to the brake disc material not being perfectlly solid or flat,say like glass, which looks it but under a micro-scope is not solid or flat and that the brake dust accumilates in the pits of the material untill it makes the matrerial uneven which causes the pads to not brake on an even surface?????????

Roy

If I am correct! then basically I have no hope of burning off the pad deposits on a high speed journey and braking hard to burn off these deposits, then have I, or do I???????
Old 02 March 2005, 02:06 AM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Is Ian not a trader on the scoobynet anymore? I have not seen him for a while but then I have not been on the brakes section for a good while either.

Ian are still out here mate?
Old 02 March 2005, 02:33 AM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

I hope to cure the problems with my discs by getting them replaced since they are cracked and buy new pads, not Ferodo but EBC Red Stuff Ceramics. I`m sure this will work as I`ve seen other threads about Red Stuff being good at cleaning the disc.
Old 02 March 2005, 07:54 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

If you use a pads that is designed for track use or hard driving , then use the car mostly for town use you can end up with pad deposits on the discs , you can usually over come this by driving the car hard to clean them up , but it will probably come back , it may be a better chioce to change to a pad more suited to you.

If you are a hard driver or do track days you will end up with small cracks in the discs , it doesn't matter what make discs they are , they will all do it , this is why Ian doesn't recomend the drilled discs , the discs will crack more around the holes , if you have just grooved discs doesn't mean that they wont crack , just less likely to get big cracks in them , to reduce the amount of cracking a discs will get , depends on the thickness of them , this is why his 335mm kit is good as the discs are 32mm thick , the thicker the discs the more metal for a heat sink.

Scoobyboy , perhaps you should read the stuff on the web regarding warped discs before coming on slating a very good proven product that many many on here are using, to have a set of his discs warp is unlucky but for 2 sets is unlikely , you either had run out on your hubs or it was pad deposits , perhaps you should have discussed the ' 2nd ' set of discs ' warping ' with Ian , as you never mentioned it to him , unless it makes you happier to come on here slating him.

Ian is banned on here as he had to pay for giving out his advise as it was classed as advertising , it would have meant the price of the kits going up £50 each so didn't do it. just mail him direct with any questions you have.....

Quick Reply: Problem Godspeed Disks?