Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

REAR DISCS + PADS REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2005, 03:13 PM
speedstermick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REAR DISCS + PADS REPLACEMENT

discs + pads need replaceing.thinking of upgrading both any recomended setup to go for.

thanx in advance for any help.

mick.

ps car is a my 96 turbo wagon.
Old 03 February 2005, 04:51 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Most people don't really do much with the rears as far as I can see, given their job is primarily to keep the car stable while the fronts do most of the work.

If you have a monster front brake kit then it might be worth upgrading to make sure that your overall brake balance is good but other than that it's probably not worth doing too much.

I'm due a disc and pad replacement all round soon, and will be going for standard disks with EBC Redstuff ceramics all round. I'm only upgrading the rear pads as EBC recommend using the same pad type in all calipers.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to point out the error of my ways...
Old 03 February 2005, 11:39 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

If you have a monster front brake kit, would I be right in thinking that the rears naturally have less work to do ????
Old 04 February 2005, 08:34 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

it actually works the opposite way round...............particuarly with 4wd!!

as you brake you transfer the weight of the car forward on to the front wheels, this naturally unloads the rears allowing them to reach their 'locking' point much earlier as the tyre can not exert as much grip on the road.......................
now fit an improved front set-up (wether pads, brake kit, etc.) and you can now exert more influence on the weight transfer due to the improved front braking - this causes more forward weight transfer ultimately overloading the front wheels taking them faster to their 'locking' point, at the same time the rear tyres unload and under hard braking will 'lock' very easily.................

the limiting factor here is the effectiveness of the REAR brakes..........by upgrading the rears you 'pull' the back of the car down, keeping the weight transfer more even allowing more overall brake effort to be used and acvtually increasing the load you can place on the front wheels as they don't have to do as much work...............

hope this is clear, tried to explain as simply as possible..........

alyn