Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Like it's on rails.

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2005, 02:27 PM
robgeev
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like it's on rails.

My 04 STi PPP has recently developed a nasty habit of "tram lining", any old roadworks, white lines, depressions cause the car to pull quite hard into them-even the grooves on motorways are a challenge. I also think that the front tyres are wearing too quick-8k miles and near to the first limit bars on the outside.
Have taken it to Beechdale (supplying dealer) who say they hae toed in the tracking a bit and it's normal for these cars to eat front tyres.
The tracking adjustment (if any) made no difference at all, tyre wear, I,m not convinced-the car is rarely driven aggresively and not much town work.
It's not just me, a friend now refuses to drive the car as he's convinced it's going to pull itself into a ditch and the wife definetely won't!

If anyone can shed some light, this would be great. The car did not have this trait when new, it begun at about 6k.

Thanks
Rob.
Old 19 January 2005, 04:29 PM
HotRod
Scooby Regular

Classic Scoobs are renowned for a bit of tramlining, but don't know about bugs. There was a solution (search old threads?) that I can't recall, maybe get the other suspension settings checked?

If the tyres are badly worn on the outside its a pretty good sign the toe-in was too much, unless you just do loads of roundabouts or hard corners. If the tracking is now set right by the dealer you could swap the front & rear wheels around so you've got fresher fronts and see if that returns to normal?
If its pulling under braking maybe you've got binding/worn brakes, though that must be pretty unlikely.
See what everyone else says..
Old 19 January 2005, 05:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

IIRC, part worn tytres and specifically, Bridgestones were a cause?

My classic used to do it on the OE Bridgestones, but not since I swopped 'em for F1's and now T1S's............not unless the road has VISIBLE ruts caused by HGV etc, and then it's only mild.

Alcazar
Old 19 January 2005, 06:43 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem when my tyres were getting rather low, but since I've had the new ones fitted its fine now
Old 19 January 2005, 08:42 PM
robgeev
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks guys, ordered a pair of Goodyear F1's this afternoon, £72.95+vat each, still galls me though 8k is not a lot for a pair of tyres.

Might take earlier advice and swap front to rear, just to see what happens though.

Any idea what ideal track is? Also been told (by a Subaru dealer) that invceasing neg camber is a good thing?

Rob.
Old 19 January 2005, 10:04 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

My 99 Turbowagon was the same on oe Bridgestones at 2 yrs/ 12k miles. Got really bad. Toyos and TSL geometry setting sorted it completely.
Old 19 January 2005, 10:13 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

The front outer edges were wearing on my MY03 WRX, when the dealer finally agreed to check the alignment there was no camber on the front at all - they were vertical. Once front camber and toe were reset (and rear toe)the car drove much better.

Since then I've had prodrive springs fitted and alignment at TSL. It was a massive improvement.

TSL will do the alignment only for about £120, it takes about 2 hours and its definatley worth it

PJA
Old 20 January 2005, 08:39 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I found that my MY99 tramlined when the original Bridgestones got to 14K, never seemed to do itr with G/year f1's or if it did it was hardly noticeable.
Old 21 January 2005, 07:15 PM
robgeev
Scooby Newbie

Swapped front to rear this afternoon, bingo, sorted, drives well again.

Beware Bridgestone Potenze RE040 after 7k-tram lining nightmare.

Happy to be back on track though

Rob.