Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

new shape STI new tyres

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2005, 03:35 PM
backdoors
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new shape STI new tyres

The old standard fit bridgestones are at an end, fancy a set of either Eagle F1's or Bridgestone RE070 (like the spec C's) anyone have a preference? cheers
Old 18 January 2005, 05:29 PM
JohnS

I use both. Keep the RE-070s (only available in 225/45x17 I believe) for the drier weather, as they tend to cause the ABS to kick in early in poor road surfaces in the wet. They are absolutely superb on smooth road, and when it's dry, the grip from them is amazing, and with firm sidewalls, the feedback through the steering wheel is also great. You can feel exactly what the tyres are doing, and they also also nice and progressive in the wet. They aren't use in the snow though, hence the reason I've got the Goodyears fitted just now

The Goodyears are much more suited to wet and cold road conditions, though they are still good in the dry. They have softer sidewalls, so it does take a few days to get used to the spongy feeling when cornering where it feels like there's no grip - there is, you just have to trust them. They are superb in very wet conditions, and with softer sidewalls give a more comfortable ride and they are also much quieter in terms of road noise.

Both great tyres, but optimised for different driving styles and conditions.
Old 18 January 2005, 10:19 PM
backdoors
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnS
I use both. Keep the RE-070s (only available in 225/45x17 I believe) for the drier weather, as they tend to cause the ABS to kick in early in poor road surfaces in the wet. They are absolutely superb on smooth road, and when it's dry, the grip from them is amazing, and with firm sidewalls, the feedback through the steering wheel is also great. You can feel exactly what the tyres are doing, and they also also nice and progressive in the wet. They aren't use in the snow though, hence the reason I've got the Goodyears fitted just now

The Goodyears are much more suited to wet and cold road conditions, though they are still good in the dry. They have softer sidewalls, so it does take a few days to get used to the spongy feeling when cornering where it feels like there's no grip - there is, you just have to trust them. They are superb in very wet conditions, and with softer sidewalls give a more comfortable ride and they are also much quieter in terms of road noise.

Both great tyres, but optimised for different driving styles and conditions.
Thanks for that, i live in the south with not much snow and try to drive in nice weather so the bridgestones sound good. I bike a lot and know how much a tyre can drastically change performance, i'm hoping these will too.

I know the dealers sell them, must try and find somewhere cheaper !

Last edited by backdoors; 18 January 2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 19 January 2005, 08:44 PM
robgeev
Scooby Newbie

ETS tyres Ripley, offering RE070 at £64.00 apparently a very good price, I opted for the Goodyear F1 at £72 though. Hope I've done the right thing?

Rob.
Old 19 January 2005, 10:21 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

What about michelin pilot sports?
Supposed to be VERY good.

Dipster
Old 20 January 2005, 09:22 PM
Yaz
Scooby Regular

ive been using the falken azienis sports in the summer and havnt had much of a problem running them in rain, only when they are almost dead they are tricky in rain.
falken is comming out with a new tire the RT 615 which is said to have better rain traction

www.falkentire.com

my current last years setup used 2 wheels, both 16x7 205 55 16 falken azeinis sports for every day sumer and track/autox and 205 55 16 dunlop wintersport m3 for winter

next year im added a GC06 possibly where ill run a RT 615 on that, and run a 215 on the track wheels and keep the same winter(im like tire rack over here )