Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Pad upgrade for STi8 - any recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2004, 02:43 PM
Dave East
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pad upgrade for STi8 - any recomendations?

Hi all

Time to replace the front pads! (the gold 4 pot Brembo caliper type) Can anyone suggest a fast road performance upgrade?

Or would it be better to upgrade the pads and discs at the same time? Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved!!

All the best and Merry Crimbo all!

Dave.
Old 23 December 2004, 03:34 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

EBC red ceramic get a good recommendation from people it seems
Old 23 December 2004, 03:47 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Well, I would make my own from bits out of the kitchen bin before I used EBC's (of any kind) in my car.

We sell a lot of the DS2500 replacement pads, I also (currently) use this compound in my APR 6 pots and it is a good all rounder.

Mike.
Old 23 December 2004, 05:07 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

well the new ceramics are supposed to be a lot better than the old EBC stuff. Anyway the other pad is the Pagid 4.2.1s they're about £130-140 though, although they are supposed to be good
Old 24 December 2004, 09:48 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Well, maybe I'm 'tainted' by having had so much experience of EBC's constant moving target practices. They change the compounds without changing the names or identifying changes have been made.

I've done A LOT of product telt evaluation and development stuff with AP Racing with different manufacturer pads over the last 5 years or so. NEVER had a good experience with EBC though in factthey've all been dreadful.

Maybe they eventually found something that works well?

Mike.
Old 24 December 2004, 10:41 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike Tuckwood
Well, I would make my own from bits out of the kitchen bin before I used EBC's (of any kind) in my car.

We sell a lot of the DS2500 replacement pads, I also (currently) use this compound in my APR 6 pots and it is a good all rounder.

Mike.
Bit harsh mate and not very professional IMHO. I would agree with your comment if yoru talking about green stuff for sure. John Felstead did a fair amount of testing on the red ceramic and any recomendation from him is worth reading and considering in my mind

Gary
Old 24 December 2004, 10:46 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Pagid RS4-2-1's. Used them in standard 4 pots, STi Brembo's and now AP 6 pots. Works really well, lovely pedal, no fade to date and not too much dust.

Also use RS15 in my other car and they're just as good if not better (for that application).

Pagids are a bit more expensive but it's the brakes, I don't mind paying a bit extra.
Old 24 December 2004, 11:22 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Yes, and I can see why it may seem tht way, (harsh) but believe me, I've done A LOT more testing than even JF, and the problem with EBC is they are constantly fiddling with the compound constructions (well they wre at that time) and that just doesn't fill me with confidence!

Brakes = Life, far more than a powerful engine does and I simply say what I see. I'm running 6 pots, anyone buying for OEM (including the Brembo callipers) could easily see a detrioration over an improvement.

They are far better at making pads for motorbikes if you ask me.

Mike.
Old 24 December 2004, 05:26 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Mike, don't you get pad deposit problems with the ds2500's when pressing on? I have in my ap 6 pots. Now running the redstuff ceramics and a lot better with no deposit problems when used V hard I know the old ebc red & green were ****e but they have moved on & as Gary said felly spent a little time at the ring and a good few thousand k following the Cat rally last year testing these pads.

Get a set & give them a go, I would appreciate your comments as I am sure others would. (just clean all the ferodo material off the disc 1st as it really does cause problems imho)

simon
Old 24 December 2004, 08:44 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

EBC reds... absolutly awsome...!

Swapped my standard Sti brembo items fro red last month... stunning difference... lots of feel and they really grab the car... I had a BM 330 that had brilliant brakes, was abit dissapointed with the brombos but with the Reds its superb.. if you need better then add drilled disks but simply pads alone have tranformed the car....
And believe me i use the brakes very hard...

Dazza
Old 24 December 2004, 09:24 PM
scooby900
Scooby Newbie

Talking

carbon metalic pads they are brill, work from cold and never fade like others I have tried.