ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Pad upgrade for STi8 - any recomendations? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/389612-pad-upgrade-for-sti8-any-recomendations.html)

Dave East 23 December 2004 02:43 PM

Pad upgrade for STi8 - any recomendations?

Hi all

Time to replace the front pads! (the gold 4 pot Brembo caliper type) Can anyone suggest a fast road performance upgrade?

Or would it be better to upgrade the pads and discs at the same time? Any thoughts would be gratefully recieved!!

All the best and Merry Crimbo all!

Dave.

Gutmann pug 23 December 2004 03:34 PM

EBC red ceramic get a good recommendation from people it seems

Mike Tuckwood 23 December 2004 03:47 PM

Well, I would make my own from bits out of the kitchen bin before I used EBC's (of any kind) in my car.

We sell a lot of the DS2500 replacement pads, I also (currently) use this compound in my APR 6 pots and it is a good all rounder.

Mike.

warrenm2 23 December 2004 05:07 PM

well the new ceramics are supposed to be a lot better than the old EBC stuff. Anyway the other pad is the Pagid 4.2.1s they're about £130-140 though, although they are supposed to be good

Mike Tuckwood 24 December 2004 09:48 AM

Well, maybe I'm 'tainted' by having had so much experience of EBC's constant moving target practices. They change the compounds without changing the names or identifying changes have been made.

I've done A LOT of product telt evaluation and development stuff with AP Racing with different manufacturer pads over the last 5 years or so. NEVER had a good experience with EBC though in factthey've all been dreadful.

Maybe they eventually found something that works well?

Mike.

Gutmann pug 24 December 2004 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Tuckwood
Well, I would make my own from bits out of the kitchen bin before I used EBC's (of any kind) in my car.

We sell a lot of the DS2500 replacement pads, I also (currently) use this compound in my APR 6 pots and it is a good all rounder.

Mike.

Bit harsh mate and not very professional IMHO. I would agree with your comment if yoru talking about green stuff for sure. John Felstead did a fair amount of testing on the red ceramic and any recomendation from him is worth reading and considering in my mind

Gary

Chelspeed 24 December 2004 10:46 AM

Another vote for Pagid RS4-2-1's. Used them in standard 4 pots, STi Brembo's and now AP 6 pots. Works really well, lovely pedal, no fade to date and not too much dust.

Also use RS15 in my other car and they're just as good if not better (for that application).

Pagids are a bit more expensive but it's the brakes, I don't mind paying a bit extra.

Mike Tuckwood 24 December 2004 11:22 AM

Yes, and I can see why it may seem tht way, (harsh) but believe me, I've done A LOT more testing than even JF, and the problem with EBC is they are constantly fiddling with the compound constructions (well they wre at that time) and that just doesn't fill me with confidence!

Brakes = Life, far more than a powerful engine does and I simply say what I see. I'm running 6 pots, anyone buying for OEM (including the Brembo callipers) could easily see a detrioration over an improvement.

They are far better at making pads for motorbikes if you ask me.

Mike.

simo 24 December 2004 05:26 PM

Mike, don't you get pad deposit problems with the ds2500's when pressing on? I have in my ap 6 pots. Now running the redstuff ceramics and a lot better with no deposit problems when used V hard :D I know the old ebc red & green were ****e but they have moved on & as Gary said felly spent a little time :D at the ring and a good few thousand k following the Cat rally last year testing these pads.

Get a set & give them a go, I would appreciate your comments as I am sure others would. (just clean all the ferodo material off the disc 1st as it really does cause problems imho)

simon

Dazza's-STi 24 December 2004 08:44 PM

EBC reds... absolutly awsome...!

Swapped my standard Sti brembo items fro red last month... stunning difference... lots of feel and they really grab the car... I had a BM 330 that had brilliant brakes, was abit dissapointed with the brombos but with the Reds its superb.. if you need better then add drilled disks but simply pads alone have tranformed the car....
And believe me i use the brakes very hard...

Dazza

scooby900 24 December 2004 09:24 PM

carbon metalic pads they are brill, work from cold and never fade like others I have tried.