Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

4 pot Brake advice: Upgrade pads/discs or full kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2004, 09:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 pot Brake advice: Upgrade pads/discs or full kit?

Hi all,

I'm giving some serious thought to upgrading the 4pot brakes on my MY99 running on 16inch wheels. The intended use is fast road, with the occassional trackday and the maximum I'd want to spend is £800, less if possible (maybe by selling the standard calipers and discs).

As I see it, I have three options:

1) Upgrade to better pads (e.g. Pagid 4.2.1- is that the right code?) and braided steel hoses whilst retaining std calipers and discs. Cheapest option.

2) As above but get some after market discs as well (lets say the Pagid grooved ones for arguements sake)

3) Go for a complete kit. I understand Godpeed do a 308mm Brembo conversion. Most expensive, but I could offset this by selling the current std set up; I understand they go for about £300

Any advice/experiences from peopl who have the above set ups would be appreciated. I have an inkling that option 2 would be the best, but have a sneaking suspicion that I'd wish that I'd paid the extra £300 and gone for the Brembos. Would they be a noticable difference in performance between options 2 and 3?

With thanks and best wishes.
Old 12 December 2004, 09:17 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

option two i'd say, there's nothing wrong with the size of the original discs, or the calipers, godspped do a seperate disc and bell set-up for the standard size se-up. grooved only is a good choice!! and the pagid pads are fantastic!! don't forget to upgrade the pads in the rear too!!
Old 13 December 2004, 10:31 AM
New_scooby_04

Thanks for the input Ron, any other comments? Has anyone done a discs and pad upgrade then wished they'd upgraded the calipers too. I understand that there is nothing wrong with the Subaru Four pots, but are the Brembos appreciably better, or would I be paying predominantly for a weight saving and better looks?

Best.
Old 13 December 2004, 11:06 AM
RB5Caterham
Scooby Regular

Think the Subaru OE 4-pot calipers are made of Iron so the Brembo's being Alloy will mean a weight reduction and yes they do look well cool.

I have GodSpeeds 335mm Brembo kit on mine and they are excellent value. Went for this after thinking about Pagid disc/pads etc. You wont be dissapointed.
Old 13 December 2004, 12:23 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I've just got the Pagid RS 4.2 (Blues) from Alyn at AS Performance and they are amazing on my 03 WRX and this is compared to the Ferodo 2500's I had on previously. I've yet to put on my braided hoses (due to time constraints) - but I can hardly wait!
Old 13 December 2004, 02:39 PM
anfywills
Scooby Regular

Wink BRAKES

i will not say who are selling them but in january there is a big brake kit coming out for the 15 " wheel but this a serious over kill mainly designed for race or rally use but is going to be outstanding for road use, In testing they said it was like putting an anchor out the window and very well priced as well.
Old 13 December 2004, 03:05 PM
New_scooby_04

Come on Andy, you can tell me! :-) Pm if you prefer!

Was the 15 inch wheels a typo; didn't all Scoobies get 16s as standard from (98?)

Best.

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2004, 03:22 PM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

If it's to fit under 15" wheels the discs will be small , smaller than any other kit , so will not work as good as anything available now , the only thing they will be better than is the standard 2 pot set up , so the claims sound a bit exagerated !
Old 13 December 2004, 05:50 PM
Dibs
Scooby Regular

I went for the Godspeed 335mm Brembo kit on my MY99 and am very pleased with it. The improvement in braking performance is very good considering the price (much cheaper than AP's). You will need 17" wheels for clearance though.

Originally I was going to go for the 335mm upgrade kit using the standard callipers and a spacer, but the extra cost of getting some shiny red Brembo ones was small when you factor in the money recovered by selling the standard setup.

Dibs
Old 14 December 2004, 10:45 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by awd wrx
If it's to fit under 15" wheels the discs will be small , smaller than any other kit , so will not work as good as anything available now , the only thing they will be better than is the standard 2 pot set up , so the claims sound a bit exagerated !
Depends on the pad contact area surely - if they have a huge caliper then more contact area. Not the best way to go though as you lose the mechanical advantage you get from a bigger disk...
Old 14 December 2004, 12:49 PM
New_scooby_04

It's all speculation till Andy spills the beans!! ;-)

In the meantime, any other comments from those who are at liberty to divulge information :-)

Best.