Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre has a screw in it- advice appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2004, 05:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tyre has a screw in it- advice appreciated.

Hi all,

Buggeration! just looked at the tyres on my scooby and there is a blommin' screw in my offside rear. I guess I have two options: get the tyre plugged or replace it.

Plugging a tyre on a 4WD high performance car seems like a bad idea to my mind. Is it safe, or is it best to just replace the offending tyre.

If the latter applies anyone know of a good place in the S.E to get hold of Bridgestone Potenzas for a 16" alloy. I think it's the standard size i.e. 205/50 R16 if memory serves.

Best
Old 25 October 2004, 05:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Found a screw in one of my rear tires last week. I asked the tyre place if it would be ok to plug it considering the car and they said it would be fine. They even had my tyre in stock so could have easily told me the tyre was shafted and flogged me 2 17" toyos.

Well annoyed as the tyres were only 2 months old but they said it wouldn't be a problem. Done 500 miles so far and its fine.
Old 25 October 2004, 05:48 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Getting it plugged should be OK as long as it is not really close to the sidewall. There could be a problem if you drove on the tyre flat at any ponit as this very quickly trashes the inside even if it looks OK outside. Also if replacing, consider the difference in tread between the new tyre and the old one left on the other side. If the old one has done more than a couple of thousand I would replace both so that left and right sided are matched in terms of similar levels of grip.
Old 25 October 2004, 06:09 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had at least 4 tyres repaired in over 5yrs Scooby ownership and they've never been a problem. Only issue is if it's near the sidewall as mentioned. The tyre fitter would advise if that was a problem.
Old 25 October 2004, 06:36 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

I had one plugged once and went over the rubble strip on a hard shoulder detour thanks to roadworks on the motorway - it went flat again the next day

Depends how many miles are on it really, if it's brand new it would seem a waste, but if it's not far off replacement anyway - I'd bite the bullet and go for a new one
Old 25 October 2004, 06:42 PM
New_scooby_04

Thanks all, much appreciated. The rears have about half their life left (even wear) and the screw is not too close to the sidewall, so might be ok to repair. I'll pop down to my local tyre fitter.

Best
Old 25 October 2004, 09:06 PM
simpsons !
Scooby Regular

Location: A Yorkshireman living in Lancashire, Recruiting for the War of the Roses part deux!

I ran a Puma with a screw in the tyre for 6000 miles with no probs whats so ever, And i drove very quickly but it was a rear. After the 6000 miles developed a slow puncture and needed about 10psi a week.Mates who knew about it advised getting it changed but I went with the opinion if I had'nt seen it before what differance would it make ? I waited till it needed it.
Old 26 October 2004, 02:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Yeah, might be more of an issue for a rear on a 4WD drive car -as opposed to a FWD car- though.

Best.
Old 26 October 2004, 05:43 PM
Azyman
Scooby Regular

Default ok on mine

Hi i had new tyres fitted to the front and a couple of days later there was a screw in the f/d/s went into several main tyre ppl and they all tried to sell me new tyre [same old bs well if it would of been just a little to the left]

but fortunatly after 4 tyre company went into another and an old mate of mine was manager he said no problem with where it is on the tyre so got it done had no problems since