Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tired wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2004, 10:16 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired wheel bearings

I have a 97 classic and think I need to change 1 or 2 front wheel bearings, but the noise is not quite what I would expect.

In my experience a tired wheel bearing makes a constant droning noise, which increases in pitch as the speed builds. It also gets quieter when the bearing in question gets loaded in corners.

This noise is similar, but its not constant, the noise is intermitant as the wheels rotate, like its only rubbing on part of the rotation, making me think it could be something to do with brakes. There are no other brake type noises though and they are working well, so I think I’m clutching at straws.

So, changing wheel bearings, is it a DIY job or are the bearing pulling tools available for ‘part time mechanics’ not suitable?

Got a price of £59 +VAT for the bearing kit, this seems pretty reasonable. Do bearings need to be done in pairs?

Any thoughts most appreciated.
Thanks
Clint

Last edited by ClintUK; 13 October 2004 at 12:45 PM.
Old 13 October 2004, 06:54 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

sorry can't help you with the wheel bearing prices/fitting, but would be very interested to hear if this fixes your noise problem.

i have the exact same niose and i'm buggered if i know what it is! even started a thread up and didn't really come to any accurate conclusson either

please, if this cures your prob could you PM me or email?

ta
Old 13 October 2004, 07:04 PM
Jess
Scooby Regular

Same problem here, seems common but no-one seems to know the answer. Let's hope someone can help.
Old 13 October 2004, 09:33 PM
_benny_
Scooby Regular

Could it be drive shaft related? They can make a whirrring type noise when worn.
Old 14 October 2004, 10:51 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Well that's 3 of us. Nice not to be alone with a problem.

Jacked up the car and poked around yesterday, I couldn't find any indication of wheel bearing problems.

Will do more investigation when the rain stops, I don't like the idea of drive shaft problems, but will try and include these in the investigation.

My current thoughts are to keep driving until it's obvious what the problem is, but really think a Scoob deserves more respect than that.

Cheers guys
Old 14 October 2004, 12:33 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

I have had a wheel related droning from the front end of the car ever since I changed front tyres from Potenzas to GoodYear Eagle F1 GSD3's. Thought it might be tyre noise from this type of tyre but I'm not so sure as it seems to be getting worse. Maybe tyre fitters did not do wheel nuts up correctly or not to correct torque - although you should recheck after 500 miles of wheel/tyre change anyway. Might have the front wheels checked on Saturday just in case - a slight wobble from just one incorrectly tightened nut could (hopefully) be the problem.
Old 17 October 2004, 09:34 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Asked local dealer to check out yesterday - and it is wheel bearing/s on one or both front wheels. Good news is it is being done next Wednesday covered under 'Proven Warranty'. Hope this will be the happy ending. Will update once I get car back.

My eldest son's Peugeot 306 has also recently been in for wheel bearings. Until done, the thrumming noise gets worse and worse quite quickly to the point where you cannot hear either engine or tyre noise, even at high revs/speed.

Subaru mechanic says best to get done a.s.a.p. after you first suspect it, otherwise letting it develop too long will cause a lot of damage to other components and result in replacing just more than bearings.

Last edited by pmarch; 17 October 2004 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling error