Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

trackday tyres

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2004, 12:10 PM
RB Will
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trackday tyres

Hello, Just wondering if any of you other scooby owners use them on track and if so what tyres do you use, I have just worn through another set and am wondering what to buy next, any reccomendations would be good but preferbly something longer lasting would be good and not Goodyear eagle F1 I hated those( wore out too fast leading to serious understeer get one trackday per set, good in the wet though), have just been using Dunlop Sport 9000 which were good but the scooby munches away at the inner tread and they are seriously dead (after 2 trackdays and a few 1000 road miles though so last longer than goodyears). (apparently its not just mine that does that) a useable road tyre would be a preferance but if any of you have experince with road legal track tyres let me know how well they work and how well they last as they are an option
thanks in advance hopefully
Old 08 October 2004, 01:38 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

R compound tyres offer incredible levels of grip compared to street tyres and they are road legal too. Nothing like turning up to a track day, kicking *** and then driving home without getting dirty hands!

They are expensive, and they wear out quickley, and if your car has standard front geometry, you will ruin 2 sets of fronts to one set of rears.

Michelin Pilot Sport cups are best - Dunlop SP sport Race are a good compromise and offer good wet grip.
Old 08 October 2004, 02:09 PM
mmmiddy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Try Bridgestone Potenza RE070's, they seem to be pretty highly rated on here as a good track/road tyre.

And would you believe it!!!! I have a set of 4 brand new ones, 225 45/17 for sale at just £300.

PM me if your interested
Old 08 October 2004, 10:06 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'm using RE070s at the moment as I'm a bit of a lazy **** and can't bother changing tyres too often at trackdays.

Excellent tyre, I've had two heavy track days out of mine so far and a few thousand road miles, and whilst they aren't as good as some in the damp, they're exceptional in the dry (quite close to a slick) and very good in the wet- they are very resistant to aquaplaning.

The sidewalls are quite stiff and they tramline like a bitch, but its worth it.

And at £300 I wouldn't hesitate- just don't expect to get 18000 miles out of them!
Old 09 October 2004, 12:41 AM
RB Will
Scooby Newbie

I run an STI Version II so I need 215/40/17 tyres sorry otherwise i would have taken you up on that offer. Just another quicky, what sort of pressures do you guys run as I have been told elsewhere that using 45-55 psi is a good idea, I can see this will make tyres last longer but dont know how its going to affect the handling and at the moment suspension is standard but will be modified hopefully within a month.

Last edited by RB Will; 09 October 2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09 October 2004, 10:38 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

too much pressure and your tread will de-laminte and fall off within a few laps.

try usual pressure +6psi, see how you go, and keep an eye on it.

eg, if you usually run 32/29 try 38/35, they will heat up very quickly so drop the pressures back to 38/35 again. Play around with the pressures until you're happy.

in the wet knock a few psi off and it will make it a lot more grippy.