Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Weired thing happening with Scooby! please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2004, 10:02 PM
OllyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weired thing happening with Scooby! please help me!

hi, i have a 2002 scooby wrx and have had it a while now, but something very wrong is happening. my tyres were getting low so i arranged to get some new ones fitted. i had michelin's all round but i decided to replace the fronts which had got a bit worn with goodyear egale f1's. before i changed them i had adjusted the camber on the front the maximum possible which made it handle better but as the tyres got worn it was getting a bit understeary! so i got the new tyres on the front and drove for about 500 miles to get them worn in. when i went to throw it round a bend it just squeeled loads and understeared. i just thought the tyres maybe need heating up or they needed pushing a bit more but there was no improvement. this has been going on for about a month now so today i decided to change the front and the backs round to see if this made a difference but it just did the same. i have checked the camber but it hasnt moved at all! i have tried going round a corner softly, hard, accelerating through.... everything but it doesnt make a difference..... it has never been like this! can anyone help? im just stuck.... i dont know what it could be!
also, i have been have trouble with my pas, it has an intermittant fault, somethimes it just cuts out so the stearing is really heavy. But it doesnt seem to do it when i am pushing it! i dont know what this could be either... the belt seems fine and the fluid level is on maximum! i dont think that this has affected ithe handling but i just dont know!

any ideas / help would be much appreachiated. thanks guys!
Old 02 October 2004, 10:17 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

I would suggest putting the camber back to normal and see if it still does it?
Old 02 October 2004, 11:11 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sKunk
I would suggest putting the camber back to normal and see if it still does it?
A bit of a sensible suggestion, there.
Old 03 October 2004, 11:27 AM
OllyWRX
Scooby Newbie

i dont see why this would help!? when i changed the camber it handled better! i have put 28psi in the front and 27psi in the back and its alot better but still not right!? ( i have the prodrive wheels, if this makes a difference. )
Old 03 October 2004, 02:03 PM
surfer boy
Scooby Regular

I was told it should be 32 psi on the front and 28 on the rear.
Old 03 October 2004, 04:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Too much negative camber is a bad as too little. Get the bumpsteer removed, the set-up done correctly and the anti roll bar links changed for solid ones instead of the bendy plastic. Chalk and cheese after that and the tyres will wear evenly too.

Les
Old 03 October 2004, 07:01 PM
tsl202
Scooby Regular

Talking geometry set up

Hi,

Listen I'm new in this business with scoobies but if you want to get back your car's feelings go to TSL MOTORSPORT for a bespoke gr.N geometry, for about 125pounds, and you'll enjoy a brand new car believe me!
No understeer, neutral stance becoming oversteering, big fun and grip!
So hope this help
p.s. TSL MOTORSPORT ask for Paul; www.tsl-motorsport.co.uk for more details

Daniel

Originally Posted by OllyWRX
hi, i have a 2002 scooby wrx and have had it a while now, but something very wrong is happening. my tyres were getting low so i arranged to get some new ones fitted. i had michelin's all round but i decided to replace the fronts which had got a bit worn with goodyear egale f1's. before i changed them i had adjusted the camber on the front the maximum possible which made it handle better but as the tyres got worn it was getting a bit understeary! so i got the new tyres on the front and drove for about 500 miles to get them worn in. when i went to throw it round a bend it just squeeled loads and understeared. i just thought the tyres maybe need heating up or they needed pushing a bit more but there was no improvement. this has been going on for about a month now so today i decided to change the front and the backs round to see if this made a difference but it just did the same. i have checked the camber but it hasnt moved at all! i have tried going round a corner softly, hard, accelerating through.... everything but it doesnt make a difference..... it has never been like this! can anyone help? im just stuck.... i dont know what it could be!
also, i have been have trouble with my pas, it has an intermittant fault, somethimes it just cuts out so the stearing is really heavy. But it doesnt seem to do it when i am pushing it! i dont know what this could be either... the belt seems fine and the fluid level is on maximum! i dont think that this has affected ithe handling but i just dont know!

any ideas / help would be much appreachiated. thanks guys!

Trending Topics

Old 03 October 2004, 10:25 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

If I read this right then you:-
1) Had part worns fronts.
2) Increased camber.
3) Replaced the the front tyres.

It's possible that the original front tyres got worn on the outside more and that increasing camber helped as the tyres weren't optimal to start with. As others have recommended, I'd try reducing the front camber. Could also try increasing the front tyre pressures a bit. Try 34 front with up to 32 rear.

J.
Old 04 October 2004, 12:31 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

If you still have Michelins on back and the new Goodyears on front, this could be a lot to do with it.

I had Potenzas on front and Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on back - and car handling was a bit 'unsure' at times and prone to tramlining.

On recommendations elsewhere on SN, I changed fronts to GSD3's last Saturday and so far the car feels hugely more stable and touch wood, no tramlining.

As other people have said, "never mix brands on a Scooby" - nor have too much a difference in tread depth.