Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Painting Calipers...........again

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 02:03 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Painting Calipers...........again

Finally got round to buying some hammerite to paint calipers with after serveral recommendations off here (£5 a tin as opposed to £20 od for a propert caliper set).

After purchase I noticed some super high heat resistant stuff but was only in black.

Is it the normal hammerite metal paint that I need (tons of colours) or do I need this stuff

Also, what should I use to clean all the gunk off with first, wire brush and soapy water?

Any tips on painting the Subaru letters as well? Do people tend to paint the entire caliper then go back and do the lettering?

All help much appreciated.

Chris
Old 16 August 2004, 02:57 PM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

use hammerite mate, TBH i think its heat resistant anyway.

i paid the £20 for some proper caliper paint before and it was no different to hammerite, in fact i'd say the hammerite was better and it dries a lot quicker.

when i did my calipers they happened to be off the car so it made it easier, i painted them all complete. Using the caliper paint took a lot of coats) then did the subaru lettering in white after. i used a block of wood (i think) coated in white paint and pressed over the lettering, then touched up with a craft brush afterwards.

I've just done the calipers on my fiesta with hammerite and it took me 2 coats and 30 mins inc drying time and they have the same result.

With regards to preparation, i used a wire brush and a rag with petrol for my subaru calipers, and when i did the fiesta i just brushed them with a wire brush.

hope this helps
chris
Old 16 August 2004, 08:31 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris. I used what i had kicking around the garage; 'pot black' exhaust paint on the fronts, painted carefully around the white letters, then for a perfect finish on the rears some 'wood stove black' (heat resistant) spray paint from B & Q. Masked over the panel with the lettering on the rears. wire brush then cleaned down with cellulose thinners before, painted front & rear whilst on the car. Looks great.
Old 16 August 2004, 09:29 PM
Arrowflash
Scooby Regular

HI

When i get around to doing mine i'm going to use normal hammerite paint (with choice of colours) i will do the white SUBARU letters first , let that harden , then paint the calipers blue and any paint i get over the white letters i can use a block of wood with a cloth round it with a tiny drop off thinners on it to wipe over the white writing.

(My brother is a painter & decorator he told me to do it this way)

David
Old 17 August 2004, 09:22 AM
anfywills
Scooby Regular

Talking paint

You should not use hammerite because it does not let the heat out and if you get the brakes piping hot the calipers will crack.
I bought mine from camsport red 2 pack caliper paint about £22. More expensive than hammerite but the right stuff, i masked the letters first before painting, but i have heard you can put grease on the letters and wipe off after, but i have not tried this.
Old 17 August 2004, 09:54 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anfywills
You should not use hammerite because it does not let the heat out and if you get the brakes piping hot the calipers will crack.
I bought mine from camsport red 2 pack caliper paint about £22. More expensive than hammerite but the right stuff, i masked the letters first before painting, but i have heard you can put grease on the letters and wipe off after, but i have not tried this.

Slightly worrying comments, anybody had this problem when using Hammerite?

Chees

Chris
Old 17 August 2004, 10:04 AM
CHRIS_D
Scooby Regular

no
Old 17 August 2004, 03:42 PM
GINTO
Scooby Regular

Paint Keeping the heat in!!.... How many coats are you applying?
For that to be an issue you would have to put the paint so thick that you would be unable to get the wheel on?!?
Think about it... you regularly paint radiators in the house with similar paint (enamel) but they call it "radiator paint" to keep the price up!!
Do you still get heat out of the radiator?? or is the heat "trapped inside" and the house cold because you painted the radiator??

I think somebody is pulling your chain...??
Old 17 August 2004, 04:33 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GINTO
Paint Keeping the heat in!!.... How many coats are you applying?
For that to be an issue you would have to put the paint so thick that you would be unable to get the wheel on?!?
Think about it... you regularly paint radiators in the house with similar paint (enamel) but they call it "radiator paint" to keep the price up!!
Do you still get heat out of the radiator?? or is the heat "trapped inside" and the house cold because you painted the radiator??

I think somebody is pulling your chain...??

Cheers Mate
Old 18 August 2004, 03:30 AM
andy hs
Scooby Regular

On the first impreza i got I just wire brushed the calipers then cleaned with Hammerite thinners and put 2 coats of smooth Hammerite on.
The only problem is that it has over a couple of years chipped off when I have knocked the caliper putting the wheels on and off.

When I got another Impreza I did the same prepping but put 2 coats of Hammerite Special Metals primer on first and then 2 coats of smooth top coat and then sprayed over with special metal clear lacquer to give them a high gloss finish a bit like brembo calipers.

I have found with this system I have had no chips or flakes of paint knocked off also a quick blast with the jet wash brings them up looking gleaming as new.

Andy.
Old 18 August 2004, 08:29 PM
Dave.K
Scooby Regular

Just took some pics of my calipers, which were done with normal caliper paint.

I found if you take your time and leave it hours between coats you get the best results, if you rush it your wasting your time.

Calipers have been painted for 2 years with no probs.

And sorry car needs a clean.
Old 19 August 2004, 11:32 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave.K
Just took some pics of my calipers, which were done with normal caliper paint.

I found if you take your time and leave it hours between coats you get the best results, if you rush it your wasting your time.

Calipers have been painted for 2 years with no probs.

And sorry car needs a clean.

Very nice Dave, that's exaclty the look I'm after
Old 19 August 2004, 11:59 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Chris.

Have you done it yet?
Have you even got the paint?
I want to do mine but im totally broke
Old 19 August 2004, 03:56 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
Chris.

Have you done it yet?
Have you even got the paint?
I want to do mine but im totally broke

Hi Ray,

This has got to be one of the cheapest mods to do. The Hamerite paint is about £5.00 a tin, not sure if one small pot will do all 4 calipers. You'll definately need two tins though so that you can paint the SUBARU lettering a different colour. Add a couple of brushes and it shouldn't cost more than £20.00 (less than an evenings drinking ).

Haven't done mine yet, I bought a tin of black instead of white by mistake DOH! Going back at weekend to change them over and hopefully have a crack at it then. Might even let the missus have a go, she's better at painting than me

Fitted your pedals yet? Mine were a right barsteward to do but got there in the end (with lots of grazed knuckles and sore fingers).

Any news on the kickplates groupbuy or is this a no go?

Cheers

Chris
Old 19 August 2004, 11:03 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

I want some mudflaps first. still recovering from paying the insurance a few weeks ago

Done the foot rest, clutch and brake pedal but cant do the gas. had a few goes but some relatives came round
Got the pin through all the holes but the last one any tips?

Did get a price for kick plates but seeing if i can get a better price
Old 20 August 2004, 08:57 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

I want some mudflaps first. still recovering from paying the insurance a few weeks ago

Done the foot rest, clutch and brake pedal but cant do the gas. had a few goes but some relatives came round
Got the pin through all the holes but the last one any tips?

Did get a price for kick plates but seeing if i can get a better price
Drop me a PM with any prices, are these from Simon?
Old 20 August 2004, 01:50 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I painted my calipers about a month ago.....total pain in the ar$e. Took forever to dry..even left them overnigt and still managed to get fingerprints all over 'em.....as for painting the lettering...i gave up in the end after having to re-paint the calipers due to bodged lettering attempts. Looks rubbish close up but ok from distance.

Wish I hadn't bothered though.

Used hammerite smooth red btw.

Bob
Old 20 August 2004, 03:49 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
I painted my calipers about a month ago.....total pain in the ar$e. Took forever to dry..even left them overnigt and still managed to get fingerprints all over 'em.....as for painting the lettering...i gave up in the end after having to re-paint the calipers due to bodged lettering attempts. Looks rubbish close up but ok from distance.

Wish I hadn't bothered though.

Used hammerite smooth red btw.

Bob

O.K. Having doubts now as my DIY skills are absolute pants

I've got the Hammerite smooth red also.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, do I have a crack at it and risk a bodge job or leave them as they are................

DOH!

Chris
Old 20 August 2004, 04:26 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

leave them and sell me the paint for cheap. as long as its red.
Have a go or get a woman to do it. Tell here is just like painting a massive finger nail.
Old 20 August 2004, 07:14 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Have a go or get a woman to do it. Tell here is just like painting a massive finger nail.
PMSL.

She'll do it and then tell you it's just the wrong shade!

K.
Old 20 August 2004, 07:23 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anfywills
who told you that???
the bloke who sold you the more expensive stuff???

ive never cracked any callipers and all my cars have had sum hammerite on the brakes
Old 20 August 2004, 07:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

extra note

hammerite white tended to go yellow with sum heat in my previous cars, all other colours were fine

i used "japlec" gloss stuff in white and this resisted the yellowing a lot more

and that white scoob actualy looks really good with red callipers, i did mine silver for a clean standerd style, might do them red now
Old 21 August 2004, 12:12 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

PMSL

Thanks for the comments people.

Chris
Old 24 August 2004, 10:59 AM
GINTO
Scooby Regular

Did my front ones at the weekend, rears to follow this weekend, but I need some advice...
The fronts were no problem, as the letters are embossed, so painted the whole caliper with two coats of Hamerite smooth red. Then allowed to dry for about 3 hours, paint dry to touch but still soft. Covered a block of wood with a rag that had been soaked with white spirit, Rubbed across the lettered area of the caliper and the white lettering returned. I am very happy with the finish. I will post pics soon.

Anyway, the letters on the rear Caliper are not embossed, as the SUBARU is on a metal heat resistant sticker. Choices are, therefore:

1.)Paint the caliper, but leave the SUBARU sticker, (SUBARU white writing
will remain on a black background)

2.)Try and paint the black background of the sticker also with red paint.
(very fiddly)

Has anybody experienced the same problem when painting Bug Eye and Blob Eye callipers? Are the classic ones embossed front and rear?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers...
Old 24 August 2004, 12:49 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GINTO
Did my front ones at the weekend, rears to follow this weekend, but I need some advice...
The fronts were no problem, as the letters are embossed, so painted the whole caliper with two coats of Hamerite smooth red. Then allowed to dry for about 3 hours, paint dry to touch but still soft. Covered a block of wood with a rag that had been soaked with white spirit, Rubbed across the lettered area of the caliper and the white lettering returned. I am very happy with the finish. I will post pics soon.

Anyway, the letters on the rear Caliper are not embossed, as the SUBARU is on a metal heat resistant sticker. Choices are, therefore:

1.)Paint the caliper, but leave the SUBARU sticker, (SUBARU white writing
will remain on a black background)

2.)Try and paint the black background of the sticker also with red paint.
(very fiddly)

Has anybody experienced the same problem when painting Bug Eye and Blob Eye callipers? Are the classic ones embossed front and rear?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers...

I noticed this as well, not sure what to do

Maybe get a tiny model paint brush to do the lettering?

Chris
Old 25 August 2004, 09:41 PM
Dave.K
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi guys, just get a local sign maker to make some decals for you.

This is what I did for my rears, take car to them before painting and they can then take a copy of the text and 2 strips.

Only cost me £1 for 4, so 2 spares if they come off. But that was 2 years ago.

I have only had one strip lift but i think that was down to washing the car not heat.

Last edited by Dave.K; 25 August 2004 at 09:52 PM.
Old 26 August 2004, 08:53 AM
GINTO
Scooby Regular

Excellent Dave K,
can you tell me who you used to make the decals, my experience of getting this done by my local sign makers for similar jobs has cost a fortune.
an e-mail address or phone no. would be helpful, and I could get them to post the finished decals to me.

Cheers...