Jelly-like front end

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2004, 10:02 AM
WH03JAM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jelly-like front end

Can anyone help!!

The front end of my MY03 STI is constantly moving left to right whilst moving. Seems to be tramlining really bad. I've checked the tyre pressures all round, and all are correct, but this still happens. I'm thinking along the lines of it being a wheel imbalance, or maybe the tracking is way out but any other thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12 August 2004, 10:59 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Well, the first and obvious things I would check would be:

Wheel nuts: are they all tight? (not as stupid as it might sound).
Jack the car up at the front, grab the wheel left + right and try rocking it, check for play.

Try rotating the tyres (swap the wheels front + back, you should do this every 6k miles anyway). Always pay attention to the rotation of the tyre when re-fitting.

Is there any wobble / vibration in the steering wheel when at speed? Does it pull in any direction when on a smooth motorway?
Old 12 August 2004, 11:18 AM
WH03JAM
Scooby Regular

Talking

All four wheels have been off the car in the last few weeks, and this was about the same time that i got this problem which is why I'm thinking a wheel imbalance or the tracking is out.

New tyres were fitted to the rear and the original Bridgestones are still on the front which have done 14.5K, but have loads of tread left.
Think I will take it back to where I had the tyres fitted and get them to remove and replace all the wheels. If that doesnt cure it, Ill take it to the dealer.
Old 12 August 2004, 12:49 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

If you have mixed your tyres front to rear? - this will cause the problems you describe as I discovered when I put new Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 on the rear and put the origional Bridgestones which were the rears and hence werent worn too badly on the front.
Old 12 August 2004, 02:25 PM
WH03JAM
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ive got the Bridgestones on the front and Vredestien on the rear - and if this is true then I've just spent £300 on tyres and can now do nothing about it!!
Old 13 August 2004, 12:22 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Mines a MY03WRX, I was told by several people on here not to mix tyres front to back, I can only say that for my car they were so right. I had the same dilemma not wanting to bin the part worn bridgestones, fortunately there wasnt much life left in them. From now on I will rotate the tyres so all 4 wear at the same time, I will never mix tyres again. You can get away with it on normal cars as long as they are the same on each axle, but not with these babys (IMO and several others who advised me on here)!
Old 13 August 2004, 11:11 PM
WH03JAM
Scooby Regular

Right, so I now need to get hold of another set of Bridgestones!!!! Grrr wish I knew this in the first place.......