Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Need new front discs after 20k miles, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2004, 11:55 PM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Need new front discs after 20k miles, normal?

Recently had my 30k or 36month service and advised front discs and pads need replacing soon, limit 22 mm, now 23 mm. I am amazed discs gone after only 3 years of use and less than 17k miles in my hands, usuallly gentle and only do 4-5k a year? Is this normal? I have a MY 01 wagon standard WRX.

Shocked at main dealer quote, car not being used for about 6 weeks so shopping around for a recommendation from folk in the know. Anywhere within a hours travelling of Birmingham.

This is first post since back to scoobynet, had a tiscali address, had to lose it, took flamin ages. nice to be back.
Old 30 July 2004, 01:37 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Sympathy
Recently had my 30k or 36month service and advised front discs and pads need replacing soon, limit 22 mm, now 23 mm. I am amazed discs gone after only 3 years of use and less than 17k miles in my hands, usuallly gentle and only do 4-5k a year? Is this normal? I have a MY 01 wagon standard WRX.

Shocked at main dealer quote, car not being used for about 6 weeks so shopping around for a recommendation from folk in the know. Anywhere within a hours travelling of Birmingham.

This is first post since back to scoobynet, had a tiscali address, had to lose it, took flamin ages. nice to be back.
Try Alyn @ asperformance.com. He posts here as "Stockcar". Friendly, knows his stuff and will do you a good deal.

Kev
Old 30 July 2004, 10:14 AM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Sympathy

I suppose it goes on how aggressive you are with your brakes really - but unless you've been track daying them and all sorts, the discs shouldn't be going now at all (you normally get 2-3 sets of pads to a set of discs).

I've always been very easy on my brakes, last time I had my current AP's checked, they'd done 22K miles and only 25% had gone on the pads, the discs are equally worn I think (I do drive my car hard, but I do a lot of motorway miles which means I'm not braking much).

I take it there's no warranty on it now - as if there is, you should check out the wear and tear policy
Old 31 July 2004, 06:05 PM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Blue Boy

Never been on a track day and drive car very gently, wrote off my first scoob in a big crash so much more gentle now till NCB back to full and accident history forgotten. I am shopping around to get them replaced now but still amazed they have gone so quickly.

Thanks for reassuring me this is not normal!
Old 31 July 2004, 10:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You can get discs replaced under warranty. IIRC they are 24mm new and require a change at 22mm, so at 23mm it suggests 50% worn, so if my facts are correct I wouldn't worry for a while.

EBC statistics
Old 01 August 2004, 12:34 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

As above, min / max thickness typically 2mm in it!

If and when you need some new discs / pads, drop me a line via the contact page on the above link.
Old 01 August 2004, 10:59 PM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

oops yes checked report, they are in fact 22.5mm. car went out of warranty just after service unfortunately. so would 75% worn be correct now?

will try a subaru dealer and see if they can squeeze in under warranty then.
Old 02 August 2004, 01:24 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
You can get discs replaced under warranty.
Are you sure? .... seems very generous!! (I am not saying you are wrong, just that it surprises me!)
Old 02 August 2004, 02:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Came from the horses mouth so to speak. Was at the dealers having my PPP I/C pipe re-fitted and the guy noticed my brake fluid level and commented that the pads were close to a change. He had a quick look at them and stated that the discs were probably OK for another set of pads, but I could then have some fresh on warranty as they are expected to last more than 3 years. He also told me of a guy with an STi who had a new set of disc around every 8 months from them on warranty A mild mannered dentist or something, who takes all his frustrations out on his car
Old 04 August 2004, 07:22 PM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

No not done on warranty, or at least according to Listers of Worcester, now Listers Lexus. Will only cover if they fall apart, wear and tear is not covered at all.

Tried...unsuccessful still shopping around fro quotes.
Old 06 August 2004, 03:48 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Try www.camskill.co.uk they do OE spec disks at a good price. I assume you have Subaru 4 pots on yours so these should be the correct ones - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...m10b0s185p1133 and £80 for a pair is cheap.

When I had my MY99, disks were swapped under warranty only if they had stress cracks in them which suggested a manufacturing fault. Never heard of someone getting them replaced due to wear and tear, unless they are very friendly with the dealer.

Oh and I went through the standard disks and pads in 10k, so 17k sounds good to me for the standard stuff. If your not driving the car hard then I'd stay away from the harder pads as your just never going to use them.

Dave.

Last edited by DaveW; 06 August 2004 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08 August 2004, 10:38 AM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

you can get 2 discs from www.sapmotorparts.com for only £92 delivered. These are the same quality as OE, have them on my car and they are great!

Stuart