Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

MY02 Goodridge brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2004, 11:19 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MY02 Goodridge brake lines

I have a Euro import MY02 Subaru Impreza WRX.
I just bought some Goodridge brakelines. Part SSU0201-4C.
I received four identical hoses.

The centre fixing on these is a stainless steel 'cylinder' with a groove in it. The existing OEM hose has a 'tab' which is bolted to the suspension strut. The new fixing will fit into the tab on the suspension, but there is no means of securing it. If the kit is correct then I could use a zip tie to secure the new hose through the hole where the existing bolt goes. This is obviously not ideal if the hose comes adrift.

Can anyone confirm whether this kit is correct for my vehicle? Would Goodridge get it wrong?

Secondly with a banjo at one end and a screw fixing at the other I would expect to require 3 crush washers per brake line, but the kit only contains 8 in total. Where should the 2 washers per brake line be used?

Above also asked of Goodridge, but any advice gratefully received.
Old 26 July 2004, 08:50 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the part number you have is for a "classic" car.......................you should have two sets of lines..............same as you have for rear, with the front lines having a set-up same as your O.E...................

off the top of my head think its ssu-204............???

the "crush" washers are only for the banjo end of the caliper, the chassis end is a "threaded" joint

hope this helps

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 26 July 2004, 12:49 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Question Which is correct?

That helps but ...

This is the full list of Impreza kits from the Goodridge website:

Model
Impreza 2.0 AWD/ABS (Rear Drums) SSU0200-4
Impreza 2.0 Turbo (330mm Brembo) SSU0250-4
Impreza 2.0 Turbo ABS (Rear Discs) SSU0201-4
Impreza 44S SSU0500-4
Impreza 44S (Brembo Conversion) SSU0550-4
Impreza P1 SSU0400-4

which should I use?
Old 26 July 2004, 01:05 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

It's the one below for the Impreza 44S - the SSU0500-4 as I've got these on mine which is the same model as yours

The clips that fasten the lines onto the struts are push-fit AFAIR and may need the spring clips opening up a bit to get a purchase...

Andy
Old 26 July 2004, 01:19 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

I've used similar lines on a MY02 car, they were supplied with an AP brake kit. I guess AP developed the kits for the classics and never changed the pipe spec for the new shape. Not ideal but not worth making a fuss over.

I just tyrapped the centre fitting to the strut bracket, two ties at right angles around the bracket and the pipe, one top right of bracket, round the pipe to bottom left of bracket and the other vice verse. It's stayed there for two years OK.

As said above you don't need a crush washer on the connection to the solid pipe at the chassis end as it seals on the tapered end of the threaded bit.
Old 26 July 2004, 04:00 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

You may think its "not worth making a fuss over" but I don't fancy my brake lines coming loose and rubbing against something The engineering and supply of a proper mid mount would be trivial for Goodridge. I am now thinking of fabricating a small plate (pair of) that bolts on and fits around the fitting on the brakeline to retain it.
Old 26 July 2004, 10:42 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

sorry didn't have the exact info to hand this morning.....................the correct kit is SSU-0500-4........................

normally carry both types in stock.............

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 27 July 2004, 12:38 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, your call, but I repeat:

> It's stayed there for two years OK.

There's very little force on this bracket, as the wheels turn there's a small force trying to drag the pipe away from the strut but very little. A single tyrap would hold it OK, you can easily fit two like I did, you could even fit more and tyrap the whole pipe around the strut body.

But if you've bought pipes for a MY02 and they are available then you may as well have the right ones.

I bought an AP kit and it came with these, no option for MY02 pipes. So it was use these ones for free, stick with the standard puffy rubber ones, or fork out another 50 quid and wait another week to fit them. I chose the former, I'm quite happy they're safe and that's all I care about. You asked for advice and I gave it. If you're not happy then so be it.
Old 27 July 2004, 12:57 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation Clarification.

Thanks all for the advice.

Goodridge have responded quickly.

"The kit you have received (part number SSU0201-4C) is for
pre-2001 model Impreza Turbo, the kit which you require is SSU0500-4C
(covers all turbos after 2001).
"

Why couldn't they make that clear on the website? I have never heard of an Impreza 44S, and certainly didn't know that i was driving one Off to wrap up the kit for return