Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

How easy to change front pads on MY03 STi

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 02:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy to change front pads on MY03 STi

Probably been done a million times before but I can't find a link.

How easy is it to change the from pads on a MY03 STi ..... considering the fact that i am a **** wit when it comes to using spanners etc.
I would like to change them myself though if possible as I hate paying people to do stuff and if you dont try you will never know how easy it is now will ya?

Any hints and tips and a method list would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gary
Old 22 July 2004, 02:50 PM
Jolley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very easy.

Wheel off, remove spring on caliper retaining 2 pins, remove the pins retaining the pads, wiggle and pull out pads, push pistons back into caliper (take cap off of brake fluid reserviour first.... sorry, forgot!), clean shims from old pads (with petrol), apply copper grease and put shims on new pads, slot in new pads, replace pins, replace spring retainer. Repeat for other side, pump brake pedal a few times, replace cap on fluid reserviour, bed in.

The workshop manual tells you to push the pistons back into the calipers with pliers gripping the old pads, but I couldn't get it to work, so removed the old pads and levered the pistons back in with a screwdriver (though you can actually get a proper tool).... but you will have to try to do them both at the same time, or else as you push one in the other will come out again!

Approx time 30mins per side (maybe an hour for first attempt).

Just noticed that you are doing an STi. The above is for WRX, but someone should be able to tell you what is different.

Last edited by Jolley; 22 July 2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old 22 July 2004, 10:29 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gutmann,

Let us know how you get on. I'm thinking of doing this for the first time in the next couple of weeks (see my thread on brake pads).