Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Excessive inside tyre wear

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2004, 05:47 PM
Stevie B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Excessive inside tyre wear

As it says on the tin really. The rears have excessive wear. I changed front to rear about 6 weeks ago and all was ok from initiial inspection. The fronts has slightly less tread then the rear, thats why I swapped.

I presume the wear is just me driving the thing too hard. I have MY01 WRX running on standard rims woth Toyo Proxey rubber (plus Eibach, geom - done 2 years ago- and from & rear strut braces). Never had this problem before, but since I fitted the strut braces a couple of months ago the car feels really tight and has given me a more confident (and I suppose aggresive) driving style out of tight corners (plenty of power on early).

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same, I know my mate in his EVO6 has this all the time and he drives like a nutter!

Maybe I should just shut up moaning and 'drive like you stole it' and get some more rubber!
Old 02 July 2004, 09:06 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

i had this on my old 01 WRX, the tread had gone on the inside but was ok on the outside.

A trip to TSL for laser alignment sorted that, and made the car feel totally different, in a positive way.

Its about £100 if you get it done somewhere like TSL, or power station, but the handling is transformed.

Tyre wear is also as you would expect!
Old 02 July 2004, 11:28 AM
Stevie B
Scooby Regular

TSL did the laser geom for me and fitted Eibach springs a couple of years ago, that made a real big difference.

All the set up is still fine, I actually use Tyres Northampton and they did a check for me last October when I had the tyres fitted.

I think that with the fitting of the TSL frot and rear struts braces (which made yet another big improvement) my driving style has become more aggresive and confident, hense the scrubbing, I may have to calm down just a wee tad!

Thanks for your post....what do you drive now?