Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre replacement MY53 - STI

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2004, 11:58 AM
ejunk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tyre replacement MY53 - STI

8000 miles just past, two fronts worn out but rears looking fine allround. Just come off the phone from JUST TYRES (MK) who said that there has to be no more than 3mm differance between old and new tyres else my transmission would be knackered!

Intially they quoted RE040's @ £128.99/tyre but now say £150/tyre as it needs a speacial fitting of J2 or Jz?

Just thought I would ask if anyone has heard of this or is it just a blag to get me to replace all tyres?

Ta.

Last edited by ejunk; 29 June 2004 at 12:06 PM.
Old 29 June 2004, 12:06 PM
rotty
Scooby Regular

8000 , ouch what have you been doing , mine has 10k on and they are about half worn
Old 29 June 2004, 12:09 PM
ejunk
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Originally Posted by rotty
8000 , ouch what have you been doing , mine has 10k on and they are about half worn

MK chicanes..........sorry roundabouts leave their mark! ;-)
Old 29 June 2004, 12:12 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Yes - I have heard this advice before on scoobynet - and if true, top marks to person who gave you the info. from Just Tyres.

On the basis of this, you arguably should replace all four - or maybe someone out there has two part worns of similar tread depth that should (ideally) be the same make/rating.

Can anyone else confirm that tread depth difference between front/back should be no more than 3mm? Thanks
Old 29 June 2004, 01:12 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb But ...

If you can, just keep the two part worns and introduce them when your new set is equally worn. However I don't believe that this is necessary in this case.

Surely the 3mm difference is not between old and new tyres, but between front and rear? Most peeps replace 2mm tread with 7mm at new tyre time Irrespective of the advice given, you have already been driving with >3mm difference between front and rear tread depths New tyres on the front would bring the difference back to 3mm so you would be OK again?

Next time swap the tyres front to rear at say 5000 miles to even out the wear around the whole set. Repeat until all 4 need replacing.