Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

HELP!! For the love of GOD Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2004, 05:16 PM
colinlayton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! For the love of GOD Help!!!

Guys/Gals,

Tried to take off caliper this avo to get to the brake pads on my UK300. When taking the bottom bolt out I suddenly found brake fluid dripping out of the caliper. Now I don't think that this is normal...........anyone please tell me it is!!

Cheers,
Colin
Old 26 June 2004, 05:24 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Colin,
If your trying to change your pads why are you trying to take the calipers off ? You don't need to to change them.
Old 26 June 2004, 05:26 PM
colinlayton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
Colin,
If your trying to change your pads why are you trying to take the calipers off ? You don't need to to change them.
Sorry........wasn't taking it off (i.e. didn't undo the two 17/18mm bolts) just took the four 14mm bolts out to get to pads......
Old 26 June 2004, 05:34 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car

If you were doing that then you would have been splitting the calipers and if you do that you break the seal between both sides of the pistons so you are bound to get brake fluid leaking out.going back to your origionl question are you trying to change your pads?
Old 26 June 2004, 07:36 PM
colinlayton
Scooby Regular

If you were doing that then you would have been splitting the calipers and if you do that you break the seal between both sides of the pistons so you are bound to get brake fluid leaking out.going back to your origionl question are you trying to change your pads?
Original question........yes. I am trying to change my pads. I'm guessing from your answer that I've been doing it all wrong!! Help.......
Old 26 June 2004, 07:51 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Yes you are.Jack up the car take your wheel off looking at the calipers there are two pins in the top of the calipers with round heads on the other side of the caliper there is a spring wire which goes through holes in the pins take the spring wire out and the pins will slide out towards you lift out the pad retaining clip which sits ontop of the caliper between the pads and then slide out your pads dont forget when you put your new pads in to re fit the anti sqeel shims which will be on the back of the old pads reverse the procedure to put the new pads in.hope that is of some help for the frounts.
Old 26 June 2004, 08:21 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to say it, but you also need to bleed the brakes, cos you've probably let air into the system, you should have had enough info to attempt the job before you started, sounds to me as though you should have paid the dealer to do it.
Sorry.

Ron.
Old 26 June 2004, 08:27 PM
colinlayton
Scooby Regular

Yes you are.Jack up the car take your wheel off looking at the calipers there are two pins in the top of the calipers with round heads on the other side of the caliper there is a spring wire which goes through holes in the pins take the spring wire out and the pins will slide out towards you lift out the pad retaining clip which sits ontop of the caliper between the pads and then slide out your pads dont forget when you put your new pads in to re fit the anti sqeel shims which will be on the back of the old pads reverse the procedure to put the new pads in.hope that is of some help for the frounts.
You diamond......I hope this helps as well!!! I'm guessing that putting the 4 bolts back in hasn't caused any damage to the caliper (my first bodged attempt).....you were saying that I broke the seal....
Old 26 June 2004, 08:36 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

As Ron has said you will have to bleed the brakes as well due to you splitting the calipers and letting brake fluid out, you will have no problem with retightening the bolts which you origionally loosened you woulnt have done any damage colin.
Hope you get everything sorted.
Old 27 June 2004, 01:05 PM
colinlayton
Scooby Regular

As Ron has said you will have to bleed the brakes as well due to you splitting the calipers and letting brake fluid out, you will have no problem with retightening the bolts which you origionally loosened you woulnt have done any damage colin.
Hope you get everything sorted.
Yeah thanks Gussy. Ron - Luckily for me no air in system as brakes are as firm as they were to begin with. I did get instrustions bu they were a little 'wanting' and to be honest it looks like they were for a classic rather than bugeye anyway!! So may or may not have been of use.......

Cheers everyone,
Col