Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

A 'get me home' fix for a failed brake pad?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2004, 04:47 PM
Mikez
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 'get me home' fix for a failed brake pad?

Does anyone know of a temp fix to 'get you home' when a pad fails so you don't further damage your discs?

rgds,
mike
Old 20 June 2004, 05:36 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Short answer: No

Depends what's failed - if it's the squeal strips are starting to make a racket as you've worn down the pads then you might be able to get a bit more longevity depending how much of the pad is remaining by bending the "scrapers" away a fraction but don't think that the problem has gone away - change the pads as soon as you get to approx 2mm material left (see what was on the instructions when they were fitted as to the mimimum allowable thickness)

If the pad has worn down to nothing and the backplate is touching on the disc then you need new pads (for both wheels on the axle - not just the shagged side). Ypu're most likely to need new discs as well...

If the pad has come off the backplate and disappeared then you're in the same boat as above.

Don't try to take out the pad / backlate to limp home and think that the pistons won't touch the disc you'll probably end up replacing the caliper as well as the discs and pads.

Basically, you could either try limping home without using your brakes (yeah, right ) or you need to sort out the problem as you haven't got any brakes - explain that one to nice people from the police and insurance if you have a prang...

Sorry

Apple

PS there's always blocks of wood that might happen to go in but just wait for the flames...
Old 21 June 2004, 10:27 AM
Mikez
Scooby Regular

I thought as much, not a good idea to rig it anyway.

Hopefully limping home didn't damage the discs too much, they just got scratched a bit, hardly more than the wear already there. I think I'll get away without having to skim the discs or replace. I'll see how the new pads settle in and do a few test emergency stops in a safe place to check it doesn't pull to the left (right hand disc). Will also watch the wear on the pads more in the future.

It does bug me that an MOT test missed the following, resulting in a damaged driveshaft/cv & brake disc:
1. No pad left on one pad.
2. Split gaiters at both ends of both driveshafts.

rgds,
Mike