Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake upgrade on MY99 STi RA

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 10:30 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Brake upgrade on MY99 STi RA

I'd like to upgrade the brakes on my car to something a little more respectable, so I'm after sugestions, I want to see a decent improvement but don't wanna spend millions (I'm not tight or anything ) say something in the region up to £500?
Old 17 June 2004, 10:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

depends what you want to do with them.

for road use a godspeed conversion would be sufficient (also ok for track), but being as you have the ultimate Impreza I'd wait until a 2nd hand set of AP 4 pots shows up- expect to pay about £750, but you'll have to move quickly as they sell very fast.

hope this helps,
simon
Old 17 June 2004, 11:01 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

The car's primarily for road use and is a daily driver

Should I just be looking at upgrading the fronts, or the rears too? Though the rears already look a step up from the rears on my old uk turbo given that it has 2 pot calipers with vented discs.

Another point of note, the car has 18" wheels on it, so bigger discs are an option.

Last edited by zhastaph; 17 June 2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 17 June 2004, 11:24 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

When you talk the Godspeed conversion, I assume you mean the "Subaru Impreza 335mm kit" shown on there website, using the standard 4 pot calipers. How much of an improvement does this represent?
Old 17 June 2004, 11:33 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Massive improvement with the Godspeed 335 kit, not too technical to fit either, an very good option for a car thats mostly used on the road, I've not managed to get mine to fade yet, and after 45 mins of solid track action you would have thought that if they were going to, they would have by now eh!!
Old 18 June 2004, 08:02 AM
awd wrx
Scooby Regular

You will need 17" wheels to fit them though , Godspeed will be at the Jap show at Santa pod on the weekend with a display
Old 18 June 2004, 08:34 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry too much about the rears. I've been using Imprezas on track with uprated fronts and standard rears for years with no problems.
Old 18 June 2004, 10:19 AM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm about to order a set

What about braided hoses, do people normally do all 4 wheels or just the fronts?
Old 18 June 2004, 12:04 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'd just do the fronts as the rears don't do much.

Braided hoses will firm it up nicely, but are of questionable value to you if you're not going to use them too heavily.

Cheers,
Simon
Old 19 June 2004, 12:11 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'I'd just do the fronts as the rears don't do much.'

I hope that was reffering to the actual brakes, and not the hoses, if you were to only do the front hoses the rears would take more punishment, but I'm guessing you meant the actual brakes, in which case all you need do is match the pads to whatever you get with the front kit!!

Ron.
Old 19 June 2004, 09:14 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

not strictly true about the rears i'm afraid.................one of those rumours that gains credence with each new posting on a BBS!!

in fairly simple terms............. a car with uprated front brakes, as you exert pressure in the system the car starts to "pitch" forward loading the font tyres and starting to slow the car - the rear of the car goes "light" due to the weight transfer and ultimately during a hard stop, one of 2 things will happen...........1. the front tyres will become overloaded and will start to lock or 2. the rears unload completely, locking-up!!
this is simply because their is a limit of friction that the front of the car can cope with which is the ultimately limited by the tyre.............

now uprate the rear brakes and in the same scenario less "ptiching" occurs under hard braking, therefore more weight is 'seen' by the rear of the car keeping the rear tyres more evenly loaded with the front and allowing greater pressure to be applied to ALL FOUR wheels - the car will ultimately stop far quicker and safer with no nosedive

most AWD cars tend to be under-braked on the rear as std (IM experience) and uprating the fronts only amplifies this.............this is why peeps like Prodrive, etal spend vast sums running fancy calipers front AND rear on their competition cars...........

alyn - asperformance.com