Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Tyre choices standard MY01 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2004, 09:59 PM
marcus.s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tyre choices standard MY01 WRX

I am about to change all 4 tyres on my standard MY01 WRX with 17'' wheels- Advice on the best choice pls?? TIA.
Old 02 June 2004, 10:13 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

The best tyre I've used (in over 4 years of Scooby ownership MY00 and MY01), without a shadow of a doubt is the Goodyear F1. Dry and wet grip are outstanding. I've only had them fitted for a month (18" wheels), so I can't comment on wear. They do seem quite soft, so I suspect they won't last as long as my previous Toyo's (my 2nd choice and nearly as good), but they really are an outstanding tyre.

I would check Blackcircles and Mytyres for online prices (I paid £114 each for 18" F1's from mytyres).

Chris
Old 03 June 2004, 10:59 AM
marcus.s
Scooby Regular

Appreciate the advice Chris. Thanks again.
Old 03 June 2004, 11:12 AM
marcus.s
Scooby Regular

Chris, are the Toyos PROXES TS-1s?? Availability in Ireland better for these.
Old 03 June 2004, 01:27 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

I'd agree with Chris although I'd make the point that it depends on which model you have, the tyre size and to some extent your driving style.

I went from SO2s which tramlined like buggery and onto GSD3s (215/45/17) which were superb. Then I moved on to Toyos and they were awful, understeering very badly although the tyre size may have had something to do with it as I moved down a profile to 40s. They were so bad that I scrubbed them on a track day type event in less than 500 miles just to get rid of them.

I've ended up on GSD3s at the front which again are superb on a 40 profile and I've left the Toyos on the back for the moment just to enjoy sliding the rear end about a little but I'll replace them soon with the Goodyears.

I'm running a 02 Wagon with Eibachs and various other goodies if that helps.
Old 03 June 2004, 02:11 PM
marcus.s
Scooby Regular

Faire D'Income--Did you feel dropping to 40's was going to make a positive difference to the handling? Going to go with the Goodyears anyway I think.
Old 03 June 2004, 07:09 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Marcus - yes these are TS-1s. A lot comes down to personal choice. I used Toyos prior to the F1s and always found them a good compromise. Wet grip was OK (not fantastic), but wear rates were very good and they resisted tramlining better than most tyres I've had (the god-awful Pirelli's my car came on are the worst for tramlining I've experienced).

Moving to a smaller profile, should in theory mean better cornering and turn in. The downside would be a slightly compromised ride (this is fairly general, all tyres vary in this respect). Also bear in mind that if you change the tyre size, you can affect the rolling radius and this will make your speedo readings less accurate. There are loads of tyre sites on the Internet that tell you how to calculate RR and how it will change with different tyre sizes.

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 15 June 2004, 10:31 PM
capita
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Marcus - yes these are TS-1s. A lot comes down to personal choice. I used Toyos prior to the F1s and always found them a good compromise. Wet grip was OK (not fantastic), but wear rates were very good and they resisted tramlining better than most tyres I've had (the god-awful Pirelli's my car came on are the worst for tramlining I've experienced).

Moving to a smaller profile, should in theory mean better cornering and turn in. The downside would be a slightly compromised ride (this is fairly general, all tyres vary in this respect). Also bear in mind that if you change the tyre size, you can affect the rolling radius and this will make your speedo readings less accurate. There are loads of tyre sites on the Internet that tell you how to calculate RR and how it will change with different tyre sizes.

Chris
gsd3 £104 delivered from topgear, i had set from previously they arrived quicklt tho thery have a few depots around uk