Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

2001 WRX vibration when brakes applied?

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2004, 11:09 PM
D2S
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 WRX vibration when brakes applied?

Greetings to all!!
I am experiencing some tremble ling problems with my 2001 Impreza WRX and will appreciate if anybody can help.

10 months ago I fitted some Tarrox brake discs together with some Ferodo brake pads, apparently this modification didn’t work out as well as I expected it to as the car started to shake a lot when applying the brakes. I had the wheels aligned and the shaking continued. I also had the discs machined to repair any unevenness, this also did not solve the terrible shaking problem. I then decided to take these brake discs and pads off and replace them with originals which I did. But once I fitted the originals the car would still shake when applying the brakes but this time with less intensity, then once again I have taken it back to Subaru garage and they have told me to put 4 new tyres on which I have just down, and now the shaking or trembling of the car nearly doesn’t exist anymore, but I still get a little steering wheel tremble when applying the brakes and passing from the speed of 60mph to 25mph.

It’s very frustrating as I have been on the case for the past 10 months. I have though upgraded tyre size from 215 to 225 and also had the springs changed to H&R which lowered and stiffened the car up a bit, but these modification were done long time ago before this shaking problem occurred. So I truly believe these two modifications have nothing to do with the shaking.

For all of you to get an idea of what the car does, you can imagine holding the steering wheel firmly driving smoothly at 70 mph and then applying the brakes softly. When the speedometer goes thru 60mph to 25 mph the steering wheel shakes a bit from left to right and then disappears when the speed is below 25mph.
I have taken it to Subaru and they no longer have any idea of what it can be and I’m pretty upset as the car is going to be 3 years old and it has totally lost the smoothness it once had.

I know the most logical things anybody will say is brake discs, pads or tyres but these are all brand new and have been changed twice so the problem must come from somewhere else, but where?

I appreciate any comments or advice anybody can give me in order to understand the why of this problem.

Thanks to all.
Dom
Old 02 June 2004, 10:51 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I' had a few shakes an vibrations on a 2001 wrx wagon , First one was two front tyres with slight bulges in the tread , but you've new tyre's so that ones out , are the alloy's true with no distortion , are insides of the wheel hubs clean and free from any rust , the hub where the brake disc sit's , is that clean with no rust marks between the disc and hub , are the alloys done up evenly with a torque wrench , these are a few fault's i've come across before that caused this type of fault .

hope it helps !