Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

help please!!wheels wont fit!

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2004, 02:49 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please!!wheels wont fit!

just got some 17"speedlines for my car(sti v4 98 with 16" uk wheels).bought them off here.they were fitted to a uk car which had brembo brakes and fitted no problem without spacers.when i tryed to fit them to mine the spoke of the alloy is touching the brake caliper!wheel wont spin.any ideas why this is?do i need spacers?as the wheels are bigger and wider would spacers cause more problems?

cheers
chris
Old 31 May 2004, 06:42 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

need spacers to clear brakes bud , but then hopefully they won't stick out under the arches
Old 31 May 2004, 07:12 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds as though the wheels are the earlier Speedlines which didn't/don't fit over the four pot calipers, the guy you got them from may well have had Brembos, but I bet they weren't original subaru ones, undoubtedly a kit, therefore they were probably made to suit the early wheels, yes you'll need spacers, get as thin a ones as will do the job, and then see if the wheels rub the arches anywhere, you may also need longer studs, and you may end up giving up and selling them to someone with an earlier car with the 2 pots.
It's always annoying when things don't go to plan innit!!!

Ron.
Old 31 May 2004, 08:27 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

tell me about it!ive been looking over the car,could this be the problem?
the front discs have been replaced with some aftermarket/cross drilled type discs.as the wheel sits flush to the hub of the disc,could it be the brake disc hub does not stick out as much?just guessing here!any thoughs?

thanks for help
chris
Old 31 May 2004, 09:08 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

What Speedlines have you got??

6 spoke ST2's???

Just wondered, coz I was going to buy some too....and fit them to my 1998 car. If you solve the problem, post what you did will ya?

Cheers,

marty
Old 31 May 2004, 09:24 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

ST2's fit fine over four pots, I have them!!
I bet it's the ones with two spokes together, I think five or six pairs of them.
Old 31 May 2004, 09:38 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I think i know the wheels. Speedline Chronos/Prodrive Superturismos, saw them for sale with a pic of the brembo brakes behind them. These wheels will NOT fit over the standard subaru 4 pots. IIRC the brembo kit the guy had was from Godspeed which had been design to fit these wheels (i.e the caliper had been offset towards the suspension strut).

I had this type of wheel... loved them but had to get rid to fit a decent set of brakes

Tony.

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2004, 12:51 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

nightmare!will spacers solve the problem then?i dont no how to post links so if anybody wants to look at wheels on the previous owners car,have a look in members gallery in "whats best colour on silver classic".user name BAH.think they are called superturismos.

there must be something i can do!?

cheers
chris
Old 01 June 2004, 01:35 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

These are the wheels and yes they fit my standard brakes and they fit the brembo kit i bought...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bah.bah1/10.JPG

They also were tried on a 99 car with the 4 pot subaru brakes on and they fit, say it maybe the differnet bells on the Discs is the problem.
Old 01 June 2004, 07:25 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive supplied wheels for the Impreza do NOT fit over subaru 4 pots..... that is a definate. However they did supply the very same wheel for the Legacy (IIRC) that had an offset of ET48, which did fit over the 4 pots. Easy way to tell, take the wheel off and look on the inside, it will say the offset. If it's ET48 must be something weird about your car, if it's ET55 than i have no idea how the hell BAH got them to fit over 4 pots..... i had to have 7mm spacers to get a comfortable clearance. 7mm is a hell of a lot!

Tony.
Old 02 June 2004, 12:23 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

so is worst case going to be-if they are et55s then i fit 7mm spacer?if you did this to you car what was it like?does it have any effect on handling/tyre wear?or clearances to wheel archs etc.thanks for the help.

BAH the 99 car you tried,is that without spacers?

chris
Old 02 June 2004, 05:38 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I after buying the spacers i sold the wheels and bought some Prodrive ST2s then fitted the brakes (i had 2 pot fronts to start with). So i never actually used them. I would say you'd need longer studs too and it takes the wheel off the hub. So all the load is taken by the studs, normally the hub takes the load and the studs just secure the wheel. Personally i wasn't happy doing that so got new wheels.

Difficult situation... did you tell BAH what brakes you had? If you're local to BAH i'd probably try to meet up with him so he can see what the problem is. If they have fitted over a MY99 set of 4 pots i see no reason why they won't fit iver yours. I'm sure you'll get round it one way or another .

Tony.
Old 03 June 2004, 12:44 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

hi tony,i checked wheels today and they are,as i suspected et55s.so im at a sticking point.i either try to sell wheels on to someone with two pots or i go for spacers.but by what you said that doesnt sound like a very safe option.why are things never easy!!

yes i asked BAH if they would fit and he said yes.which i think he believed himself.but people on this thread have said no way would the wheels fit over 4 pots.so someone must be wrong!i dont no if the aftermarket brake discs affect the wheel fitment-it maybe that.im at revolution at weekend so ill get them to have a look.so should no either way then.

p*ssed off now

chris
Old 03 June 2004, 06:44 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I know people that have used spacers with longer studs and have been fine.... just my personal preference that anything over about 3mm i wouldn't use.

To be honest, and he won't like me for saying this, i'd gte back in touch with BAH and ask for your money back. You bought them in good faith having told him what brakes you have. I do believe that he didn't do the deal on the wheels just to shift them knowing they wouldn't fit, or at least i hope he didn't. I agree it's a difficult situation and i don't know both sides of the story so ill reserve a bit of judgement.

Good luck.

Tony.
Old 03 June 2004, 11:13 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Chris,
This may take a while, so get comfy!!

way back when I bought my car, (2000) I had the standard four pots brakes like everyone else, I soon found that thet weren't up to my driving style, so, I opted fro a second hand set of the Scoobysport/Brembo brakes, they fitted under the 16's so that was fine, what I wasn't personally happy with was the fact that the bell ( the bit that the wheels bolts flat onto) was TWICE as thick as the standard disc, can't remember exact numbers, but it was either 122mm thick whereas the standard discs was 6mm, or it was 8mm/4mm. pretty sure it was 12 though, that meant that the studs were in effect shortened by 6mm each!!! thats a lot of thread to lose, so, I e-mailed Pete Croney and asked what could be done about it, he suggested that as long as you had 5 full turns of thread then they'd be fine, I was not happy with that so I had the bells machined down by 4mm, and everyting still fitted fine, and I was happier.

Back to your situation, that fact that the wheels are the wrong ofset is of little matter, because if you fitted the spacers they would be where they should/need to be, therefore there would be no more stress on bearings than if you had the right wheels in the first place, the studs may not be too pleased though, so if you're gonna use them, get longer studs, which would then put you in a better situation than the rest of us.
Hopefully you understood all that, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that you probably only need to do the fronts, the rears would be nice, but so long as they clear the strut etc, they should be ok, afterall, they fit the earlier car rear ok don't they!!!
SO, all it would involve is, getting spacers 7mm, studs, and maybe new bolts too, and the aggro involved in fitting the nes studs!!

Good luck, and happy Scooby-ing, it ain't all this much agg mate!!!

Ron.
Old 04 June 2004, 11:17 AM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the info and replys.tony i have thought about asking for my money back but have desided to see what revolution say at weekend.if it is down to my car ie brake discs then i shall accept it and either fit wheels or sell on.if however revolution say the wheels will never or have never fitted over subaru 4 pots then i will ask for money back.simply because £500 is a lot to lose if i cant sell them and BAH would be no worse off than if i had never taken them,which i would not of had i known they would not fit.BAH seems a canny lad so i wouldnt see a problem.im hoping it doesnt come to that.fingers crossed coz they do look good!

ill also ask revolution about the safety of spacers etc

thanks
chris
Old 04 June 2004, 11:51 AM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Lots of opinions on here but the proof is in the pictures these have been on my old car since day one when i got it, MY98 UK Car, although they have changed colour.

Origonally over 2 potts, then over the Brembo 4 Pott Kitn with no addition mods to make them fit......

As preveously noted a friend of mine tryed them on his car with Subaru 4 Potts on and they were ok but he wanted bigger wheels, no spaces no longer studds no messing about.

The reason they were removed from my car is i was origonally thinking of putting them on my new STI8 but they dont go over the HUGE brembo brakes on there so decided to sell them on....

Sell them on in good faith as wheels in perfect condition with perfect tyres, and didnt expect all this trouble, being a respected memeber of Scoobynet and Tyne Tees Scoobies i would not screw someone over nowing these things would not fit.

As for refunds if the problem cannot be safly resolved i won't be getting into, i have P/Xed my old car for a new STI8 and thus spent a shed load of money financing the new car and do not have the money to refund.

Given the condition of these wheels if they cant be fitted safely im sure they will be very easy to sell on at the same price or more.
Old 04 June 2004, 05:19 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Bah, nobody said you would screw somebody over...... if fact i said i believed you wouldn't.

However i would be very interested in how these things fitted over your mates 4 pots.... that is physically impossible if he has standard subaru 4 pots. Yes they will fit over two pots, yes they will fit over Ian's brembo kit (Ian is fully aware of the amount of space to fit a kit behind these wheels).

Chris , given BAH's answer above then i'd say try to sell them on for what you paid. Scott T has/had a set of Prodrive ST2's for less money and these will fit easily (that is why prodrive changed from the ones you have to the ST2 in 1999 as the previous ones wont fit over 4 pots).

Hope you get it resolved.

Tony.
Old 05 June 2004, 10:44 AM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

look at the end of the day nobody is calling anybody a liar.i no im not.i believe the wheels were sold in good faith ,but BAH are you saying that if i go to revolution and they say point blank that the wheels will not and have never fitted over subaru 4 pots ,the exact same calipers as the ones on my car,the ones you saw on my car and the same ones as i asked if you wheels would fit over that you wont even consider taking them back?like i said to you BAH i dont no much about subarus and have taken some info off this thread as to if the wheels will fit or not.i honestly hope your right and it is down to my brake discs or my car.but you gotta see my point of view?i could of spent/wasted £500 on a set of wheels that are no good to me!

you sold them in good faith but i also bought them in good faith too.

im at revolution today so hopefully this will get sorted today.

thanks
chris
Old 05 June 2004, 10:49 AM
BAH
Scooby Regular

skylinegtr

YHPM
Old 05 June 2004, 03:35 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

right im back from revolution.the facts;
sorry BAH but the guys at revolution say the wheels will not fit over subaru 4 pots-impossible.spacers required are going to be to big(measurement)to do it safely ie 7mm.it had nothing to do with my brake discs or car.

on the plus side! the wheels can be fitted but only using a professional kit that includes longer threads + other stuff.he told me but i was lost.downside is the price at £75 + a pair ,then labour of about an hour and because this kit takes the wheels out 10mm i have to do rears aswell!ouch!but this kit i have been assured is 100% safe,which is the most important thing.

the car is booked in for 19th of this month.so barring anything going wrong i should finally have the wheels on the car.all at a price close to £800!!man, i could of bought a new set of wheels for that!

id like to thank the lads who replied to this post for info etc.i would of been lost without it.BAH i got you pm and i understand that you have a new car and funds tied up.i appricate you offering to try and help me sell wheels on.

and to make matters worse ive noticed one of the wheels has a nail in.not my week.

thanks
chris
Old 05 June 2004, 04:29 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Wink

£800 I sold the same wheels as yours (in silver) to AVI on here for £350 with almost brand new Toyo T1s (thats was some time ago). Definately not your day!!!!!

To be honest i really would take up BAHs offer and try to sell them. You're putting another £300 into a set of wheels that you'll never get back. If i was selling my Prodrive ST2's i'd be looking for £400-£450, that is about the going rate for a good quality set. Rob Oneil has a set of 17" OZ SuperL for £400 in the for sale section now. Even if you lose £100 on your wheels (which i don't think you should, new car or not for BAH) and get a set of 17" that will fit you won't have to spend as much money. Plus people will always be prepared to pay more for wheels that will fit over large brakes come the time you want to sell them.

Tony.

P.S still be interested to see how BAH's mate got them over standard subaru 4 pots?????
Old 05 June 2004, 07:12 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

i hear what your saying tony.i just dont no if i can be bothered to go through the hassle of selling them!it is acually gonna cost about £675 all in.i did my math wrong when i said close to £800.i might cancel order for spacer kit on monday and put them up for sale.but if you sold some for £350 and someone else is selling for £400 what chance have i got at £500!and i can only sell to people with 2 pots.how much does it cost to have wheels sprayed black ?that is the colour i want if i did manage to sell ,and bought some silver ones to be sprayed.just trying to work best option for cash/time/HASSLE!

chris
Old 06 June 2004, 05:07 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying about the hassle.... i hate selling stuff!!!

£675 isn't too bad then. I do love the look of the wheels, i didn't want to sell mine at all but at the time there weren't any professional spacer kits. I know that BAH will probably say i should butt out... and he has every right too, but maybe if you went halves on the spacer kit. Just under £90 each.... he got a hell of a price for the wheels anyway.

Just a thought you could put to him????

Tony.
Old 06 June 2004, 05:08 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

these wheels are now up for sale in general for sale section to anyone that is interested.if nobody buys ill have to buy spacer kit and fit them.even though i have had a nightmare with these wheels(read below the wheels are spot on with nearly new goodyear tyres and would look great on a silver car with 2POTS!!!not SUBARU 4 pots.price is what i payed or slighty less for quick sale.buyer has to collect unless local and i could meet up.or pay postage.

thanks
chris
Old 06 June 2004, 05:17 PM
skylinegtr
Scooby Regular

must of posted same time as you tony.just read you last post.what do you think my chances are of getting BAH to do that is!! .id rather he take the wheels back and give me £450!but ill not hold my breath.nothing i can do but bend over and take it with a smile .and no interest in the wheels either.one expensive lesson!looking back i should of asked to fit wheels there and then at which point i could of walked away.i hope some newbies to the scooby world can learn from this and do your research first before buying.

chris