Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What tyres do you advise...Pirelli or goodyear?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 02:23 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What tyres do you advise...Pirelli or goodyear?

My Goodyear Eagle F1's will need changing soon. So what should I get another set of Goodyears or Pirelli PZ Nero's...I've haerd that they are pretty good. I have 16" Impreza alloys on my Legacy Turbo.

Another point should I get the geometry set up redone at TSL? I got it done just over a year ago and am wondering if it would be wise to get it done before a set of new expensive tyres are put on.

Nottingham is a bit far as I am based in the Northwest so I was wondering if there are any recommended places for Geometry set up in the Northwest.

Also, the place I go for Eagle F1's charge £100 a tyre for supply and fit. Am I being ripped off (Remember 16" tyres).

Thanks in advance.
Old 24 May 2004, 03:53 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

£100 I've just had a quote for £105 inc fitting for my 18" Goodyear tyres!!!

Ripping is the order of the day there I'm afraid. There's a place in Wrexham (not to far from you depending on where you are in the NW) that quote these prices, I'll dig the number out for you. But here quote a lot less than that and you can get each wheel done easily for a tenner.

If you know "Bathers" on the New Chester Road Eastham way (not far from Birkenhead), they're also very good and you can find them in the yellow pages.

I'd stick with Goodyears if your happy with them, great tyre (although Toyo's are also very good for the cash as well). I've heard good things about the Pirelli Nero's & Rossos, but have never tried them yet, I'm happy with the Goodyears or Toyo's
Old 25 May 2004, 10:35 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot mate for all the excellent advice and info...I though I was getting ripped...shall I give you the name of the place or would that be incorrect/unfair/against Scoobynet rules?
Old 25 May 2004, 02:17 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Aaquil - Assuming that you've not hit any major potholes, your alignment will be OK for another set IMHO - I had mine re-done 18 months after the first setup, as I was switching to 18s ...

Also, when/if you have it done, don't do it on the old set - its ideal to have it set up on a brand new set....

Mark

PS _ Can't comment on anyone else (non-TSL) geom. setup, as I've only used TSL _ *only* 60 miles away for me ....
Old 25 May 2004, 04:24 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Unless you're unhappy with the handling, the state of the tyres should give you an indication as to the state of the tracking/geometry etc. Have the tyres worn evenly or in the way you expected or not?

Tyres shouldn't cost more than £90 fitted all in per corner for the likes of Goodyear, Conti, Pirelli etc.

If you're happy with the Goodyears, I'd stick with them.

J.
Old 25 May 2004, 10:57 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Wink Stay with them

The rest of the boys are giving good advice, stick with what you know. I personally always fit Goodyears if I'm looking for a performance tyre, Michelin if I'm looking for a performance tyre that lasts a while (although they cost a fortune) or Continental for a somewhere in between with excellent wet weather traits. Try looking up a trade business called Viking International, they deal with Joe Public and I know that their prices are mega keen but thats because I'm in the trade.

Craig
Old 26 May 2004, 09:00 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for all of your advice...very helpful indeed. I will stick to the Goodyears.

Aaquil.

Trending Topics

Old 27 May 2004, 08:06 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Anyone else? Suggestions for tyre places and geometry set up in the Northwest? Otherwise I will have to go to TSL...don't get me wrong the ONLY problem is the distance. So I should get the tyres replaced before I get Geometry set up?
Old 27 May 2004, 08:50 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Yes to the last question - new tyres prior to setup.....

Sorry - no suggestions for other places....

Mark
Old 27 May 2004, 10:02 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark. Much appreciated.