Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

road and track day pads

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2001, 09:19 PM
MikeWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I have been reading quite a bit here about brake pads for fast road and occasional track day use and it appears that the Mintex 1155 pads seem to be a good compromise. I am wondering what the down sides of these are as far as cold stops first thing in the morning and noise, dust and rotor wear ??? I also would like to hear from anyone else that has different pads for the same use that they are happy with. By the way I am from the US so I only get the 2 pot calipers up front and rears are 1 pot. I have good fluid and braided steel lines on now and plan to cyrogenically treat a set of new rotors when going with new pads soon. Any help is much appreciated
Old 25 September 2001, 09:39 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

I've put Mintex 1155s on my MY2000 to replace the OEM pads. They are a definite improvment over standard.

In answer to your questions:-

The pads seem ok from cold.

I haven't (yet) had any squealing which seems to be a fairly common problem.

Dust is worse than with the standard pads but it is still relatively easy to remove.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 25 September 2001, 09:41 PM
MikeWRX
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, Any track use with them ? Do they fade just later or no fade at all ? Also how is the bite and/ or pedal feel compared to OEM ?
Old 26 September 2001, 12:27 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Mike,

My own personal experience of 1155's on the rear is "Dont do it" I could not detect any difference in performance from standard and they wore quicker than OEM pads (1 set = 1 trackday :eek
Old 26 September 2001, 07:54 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Welcome, Mike. Mintex 1155 pads are a popular upgrade over here, and are often found on both road and track.

These used to be the 'official' Prodrive upgrade pad, but Prodrive now supply Ferodo DS2000 instead. Prodrive say these are better, while cynics suggest there may be a business motive behind the move. Whatever, they are both very good and similar performing pads. I have used a couple of sets of DS2000 and they are great on the road and fine on track, too, although they wear quickly when hot.

I'm not familiar with your US 2-pot brakes, but if they are the same as those fitted to pre-99 UK cars (probably) then the general view here is that they're pretty hopeless. Upgrading to newer 4-pots (and slightly bigger discs) is a popular bolt-on mod. But even these don't last long on UK tracks, with warping and cracking common.

I guess what I'm saying is that, if you're going on track, and not just one of those oval things you guys love you'll need more than just a set of new pads.

Good luck, and have a nice day

Richard.
Old 26 September 2001, 05:29 PM
MikeWRX
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies its the type of information I am looking for. I plan to go with the 4 pot calipers up front and Mintex 1155 pads but nothing other than braided stainless lines in the rear. It is not very easy to find much info on track day applications as it seems the majority of people are into show and/or drag race and much less into track days. As for the oval stuff I can't stand it. It is popular with the general public and some car enthusiasts but mostly because Americans have to have a simple format on a track where they can see the whole race with lots of passing. Not too many appreciate good car control when no one is passing such as in F1 and WRC. It is sad but our vast expanse of land covered by long straight roads has led to living room on wheels cars that cause congestion so the passenger behind the steering wheel turns his vehicle into an office. This is a major reason for the general population being such poor drivers. I guess I am way off topic here so I will close.

I am also considering the master cylinder support bracket from MRT when they adapt to LHD US models.
Old 27 September 2001, 03:46 PM
Jon Bogert
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

You can buy the MRT LHD bracket from ISR,